Sign in to follow this  
Marky D

Pure Virtual Function Call

Question

Why does it seem like everyone is fine with accepting the fact that Roxio's installations will eventually degrade? I have searched almost every reference on this forum to this Pure Virtual Function Call error and on every single one it seems that a clean install is suggested. Many people report that the problem comes back even after a clean install. Why is no one outraged about this? For the price of the software I would expect that it would at least work fine for the majority of the people. I am a software developer and I would never want my name on a piece of software like this.

5 answers to this question

Why does it seem like everyone is fine with accepting the fact that Roxio's installations will eventually degrade? I have searched almost every reference on this forum to this Pure Virtual Function Call error and on every single one it seems that a clean install is suggested. Many people report that the problem comes back even after a clean install. Why is no one outraged about this? For the price of the software I would expect that it would at least work fine for the majority of the people. I am a software developer and I would never want my name on a piece of software like this.

Over zealous anti-virus, reg cleaners, malware, other program updates, obsolete drives for video and audio cards, poor computer maintenance (fragmented drives, old programs, lots of temp files) are just a few things that cause computers to not work today like they did yesterday.

How many MS updates have you had since you installed the program? How many new programs have you installed? (Rhetorical questions)

Over zealous anti-virus, reg cleaners, malware, other program updates, obsolete drives for video and audio cards, poor computer maintenance (fragmented drives, old programs, lots of temp files) are just a few things that cause computers to not work today like they did yesterday.

How many MS updates have you had since you installed the program? How many new programs have you installed? (Rhetorical questions)

I understand that there are a lot of factors to consider on today's computers. I am not trying to say that Microsoft always does a stellar job in making sure compatibility and error checking is a high priority, but that is why the software vendors need to take these things into account when designing the software. I get the "Pure Virtual Function Call" error on random occasions when doing some video modifying within MyDVD, relating to VideoWave. I can only assume that there is a problem or disconnect between MyDVD and the VideoWave DLL that it is calling to perform the video functions.

My computer is very well maintained, malware free, drivers kept up to date, drives kept clean and I don't use reg cleaners or other auto-maintenance programs that can lead to mistaken configuration changes or file deletions. I have many applications on this machine that have no problems with updates or program installs and there really shouldn't be a problem if Roxio properly prepares for these situations. I have used other video editing and DVD authoring suites that last years, through updates and program installs with no problem. If those configuration changes are indeed the cause of the problem. Like I said, in my case I can't see any outside force that would have an effect like this, I think it is all in Roxio's design.

I am not trying to convert anybody but there are other options out there that you may want to explore. Options that don't consider a clean install to be a weekly necessity and options with user forums modded by users, not company employees.

My computer is very well maintained, malware free, drivers kept up to date, drives kept clean and I don't use reg cleaners or other auto-maintenance programs that can lead to mistaken configuration changes or file deletions. I have many applications on this machine that have no problems with updates or program installs and there really shouldn't be a problem if Roxio properly prepares for these situations. I have used other video editing and DVD authoring suites that last years, through updates and program installs with no problem. If those configuration changes are indeed the cause of the problem. Like I said, in my case I can't see any outside force that would have an effect like this, I think it is all in Roxio's design.

I am not trying to convert anybody but there are other options out there that you may want to explore. Options that don't consider a clean install to be a weekly necessity and options with user forums modded by users, not company employees.

It is a shame that there are problems with some folks and their computers. No one should have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get software installed and working, but I have seen more than just the Roxio software problems.

And, if you're making an assumption, that the folks, who respond on these forums, are Roxio employees, then I can most definitely tell you, YOU ARE WRONG, AGAIN. ;)

I have not had to do a clean install since sometime in January when I wanted to remove EMC 10 completely. I had both EMC 10 and Creator 2009 on my computer. I use the program almost daily.

How would you think that Roxio would be able to forsee and anticipate changes made in MS/Windows so that they could alter their software? Wouldn't it behoove MS to not make changes that would affect other software? Why do you think that MS has instructions on how to roll back updates or to not install updates.

Well you'll like MY reply. Though others may seem to rush to defense, I too am a programmer and am amazed at all this. Don't get me wrong... this is a great product for the money, and I do mean "for the money". I use some very high end software for my music composition, and I won't say it NEVER crashes, but i will say the authors go out of their way to get bug reports, and then JUMP on the problems and fix them. Granted, a lot of problems can and are caused by external factors. But a company should always strive to making whatever workarounds and fixes are needed to prevent crashes. Here, I've already seen where my posts describing an issue or where to report them are met with the kind of condescending responses, that you'd expect from a religion whose doctrine is attacked.

But all that to say, don't be discouraged about posting problems, especially if and when you can nail down a repeatable cause and effect trail. As a coder you'd probably be very thankful for people who do that and provide such detail. The program itself has sufficient power to be worth giving the programmers the feedback. As to the occasional useless responses that seem to do little more than shoot the messenger, just think of them as failed void pure virtual functions(), "catch" and ignore the exception, and keep on helping to make the product better.

Edited by PeterPan