• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

fffrank

How do I name my DVD?

Question

After creating and burning a DVD with DVD Builder, the resulting disk appears in My Computer as "DVDBUILDER".

Where is the option to change this name? This would save me time in figuring out what is on the DVD in the future.

Thanks.

Beny

12 answers to this question

After creating and burning a DVD with DVD Builder, the resulting disk appears in My Computer as "DVDBUILDER".

Where is the option to change this name? This would save me time in figuring out what is on the DVD in the future.

Thanks.

Beny

No can do in version 7.0. I am not sure that you can do it in 7.5, either.

In My Computer the DVD when placed in the drive will always be named DVDBUILDER as the OP stated and you are correct Bruce in suggesting that this title cannot be changed. Even if you click on the properties of the file it shows DVDBUILDER (drive letter) and you can remove this and change the name to something else but when you click on APPLY, you will get a screen advising "You do not have sufficient Rights to Perform this operation".

And as far as I know the rights are not available like they are for changing the name of a hard drive as an example.

Frank....

In My Computer the DVD when placed in the drive will always be named DVDBUILDER as the OP stated and you are correct Bruce in suggesting that this title cannot be changed. Even if you click on the properties of the file it shows DVDBUILDER (drive letter) and you can remove this and change the name to something else but when you click on APPLY, you will get a screen advising "You do not have sufficient Rights to Perform this operation".

And as far as I know the rights are not available like they are for changing the name of a hard drive as an example.

Frank....

I know for sure that prior to burning, you can give a disc name. That's what I always do when I burn home videos. I can check it out tonight in the PC that has the EMC7.5 and then post the result of my investigation.

Edited by malatekid

I know for sure that prior to burning, you can give a disc name. That's what I always do when I burn home videos. I can check it out tonight in the PC that has the EMC7.5 and then post the result of my investigation.

You are correct. I used to change the name in DVD Builder, yet when it was burned to disc, it changed to DVDBUILDER. I can't remember if it still happens in version 7.5, though.

You are correct. I used to change the name in DVD Builder, yet when it was burned to disc, it changed to DVDBUILDER. I can't remember if it still happens in version 7.5, though.

I'm confident that there is an option to give a disc name in EMC7.5. I give disc name to all my projects, the latest being my child's school play "The Wiz". I'll post a snapshot tonight.

I am running 7.5 and have been doing what malatekid does also. I give all of my burns a special name. However, Bruce is right about it changing to DVDBUILDER after it is burned to disc. Oddly enough though, when I checked several burned disks that I had burned using another DVD program, they all came up with the special name I had given them when I checked My Computer. But all of the discs I checked that I used EMC 7.5 to burn the disc, that all came up with the name "DVDBUILDER" in My Computer.

My question is why whould anyone want to have My Computer have that special name anyway ? The special name is available in Windows Explorer and most people have a label of some sort on their discs even if it's a sharpie. BTW, when in My Computer and with a burned disc in the drive (named DVDBUILDER), I clicked on properties and you can change the name and have it placed as a shortcut on your desktop, however that is of no use at all.

Frank....

I'm confident that there is an option to give a disc name in EMC7.5. I give disc name to all my projects, the latest being my child's school play "The Wiz". I'll post a snapshot tonight.

Here is the snapshot. In my case the disc name I give sticks even at My Computer (Windows Explorer).

pix-0013.jpg

Here is the snapshot. In my case the disc name I give sticks even at My Computer (Windows Explorer).
Not here. Even when I enter a disk name in that option as per your screenshot, it reverts to DVDBUILDER in My Computer. Using EMC 7.5 BTW. It's no biggie for me though since I plan to use the disks with a TV DVD player which won't show disk title anyway.

I've done the same as sisterscape and entered a disc name in the box and then gone back and checked MY Computer, and it still shows DVDBUILDER. I am running EMC 7.5 (updated). Could you attached a photo of that same "COLDWAR" disc name showing in My Computer ?

Frank....

I've done the same as sisterscape and entered a disc name in the box and then gone back and checked MY Computer, and it still shows DVDBUILDER. I am running EMC 7.5 (updated). Could you attached a photo of that same "COLDWAR" disc name showing in My Computer ?

Frank....

Hey Frank,

I don't have the DVD disc of Coldwar handy but here are snapshots of another project--the resulting disc shows the name I gave when I burned the project.

Note: It looks like name that you assigned when burning the project gets retained in the actual disc if you choose to copy all movies and extras. Otherwise, if you choose the 2nd option (copy single movie--which means don't include the menu), it looks like the final disc has the name DVDBUILDER. This is just a guess conclusion.

In the project below, I burned all movies and extras. The name in My Computer shows the name I gave the disc.

pix-0014.jpg

pix-0016.jpg

Edited by malatekid

That's very interesting malatekid. I'll have to try burning one of my DMSM productions and make sure that the "Copy all movies and extras" is selected and see if that will give me a name in My Computer. I assume you have tried both ways and came to the conclusion you offered. If that is correct, I will start naming all of my DVD's when burned with a proper name. Although I still can't see where it really helps one. I never have gone to My Computer before just to check for a name.

Thanks for all the attachments and information malatekid. It really helps when one can actually show a photo of a problem topic. (Hey man, you must have a real name for the bottom of all your posts :) )

Frank....

That's very interesting malatekid. I'll have to try burning one of my DMSM productions and make sure that the "Copy all movies and extras" is selected and see if that will give me a name in My Computer. I assume you have tried both ways and came to the conclusion you offered. If that is correct, I will start naming all of my DVD's when burned with a proper name. Although I still can't see where it really helps one. I never have gone to My Computer before just to check for a name.

Thanks for all the attachments and information malatekid. It really helps when one can actually show a photo of a problem topic. (Hey man, you must have a real name for the bottom of all your posts :) )

Frank....

I usually burned many copies of a project for distribution hence I always ensure it has a disc name that describes the content. About the conclusion, I said it was a guess conclusion. I tried both ways in the past but did not really notice whether the final disc shows DVDBUILDER as the name after burning.

Regarding the attachments, I am using a free website to upload the images of the snapshots that I use in my various postings here in the board. Being a visual person, I find it very useful in describing the issues on hand. Unfortunately, once the 5 mb limit is hit, I have to delete older files to give way to new ones. The deletion of the files will erase as well all the images I have attached in many posts I wrote to the BB -- what a waste if this happens as we all know that the same issues pop-up over and over again. I wrote a while back to PATATROX to consider providing me the capability/functionality to attach images directly from my computer like the other BB members--the gurus(?)--but never heard back from him. Maybe one of the the BB administrators heed my request based on all the postings I made to date and the way I productively used attachments to raise issues or help other fellow Roxio product users. I know it's expensive (bandwidth??) but in my opinion being active in raising software issues and helping others (free of charge) is well worth it.

Jess

Edited by malatekid