edance

Transfering Files From Toast To Imovie

Question

does anyone know how to take a file from toast and move it into Imovie? I've tried everything I can think of and it's not working.

8 answers to this question

The best method is to add your video to the Convert window, click the red button and choose Digital Video (DV) as the format. Then import that file to iMovie.

The best method is to add your video to the Convert window, click the red button and choose Digital Video (DV) as the format. Then import that file to iMovie.

Hi. I have just bought Toast 10 and find that iMovie 09 will not import the converted avchd video. (I have successfully converted it though to all the 5 formats (dv, hdv, Mpeg-4 and H.264 players, and QuickTime Movie) listed and none import (though they play through the main finder), as they are not highlighted as options in the finder through iMovie import.) I have 10.5.7 and 5Gb Ram and dual 2.5 PowerMac.

Thanks

:)

Hi. I have just bought Toast 10 and find that iMovie 09 will not import the converted avchd video. (I have successfully converted it though to all the 5 formats (dv, hdv, Mpeg-4 and H.264 players, and QuickTime Movie) listed and none import (though they play through the main finder), as they are not highlighted as options in the finder through iMovie import.) I have 10.5.7 and 5Gb Ram and dual 2.5 PowerMac.

Thanks

:)

Why not just import the avchd video directly into iMovie? iMovie should then convert that video using the Apple Intermediate Codec. Also, I'm not having any issues with iMovie 09 importing from some of those options you tried (I haven't tested them all). But since iMovie is going to convert using the Apple Intermediate Codec then it doesn't make sense doing an additional conversion ahead of it. If you want to use Toast for the conversion prior to importing high-definition video to iMovie choose Custom for quality in QuickTime Movie setting and do the following:

Video Settings: Compression Type: Apple Intermediate Codec; compressor preset should be the same as the source video

Size: The same as the source video

Audio Settings: Format: Linear PCM, Rate: 48000 Hz

That will give you the identical settings iMovie uses when it imports HD video files.

Why not just import the avchd video directly into iMovie? iMovie should then convert that video using the Apple Intermediate Codec. Also, I'm not having any issues with iMovie 09 importing from some of those options you tried (I haven't tested them all). But since iMovie is going to convert using the Apple Intermediate Codec then it doesn't make sense doing an additional conversion ahead of it. If you want to use Toast for the conversion prior to importing high-definition video to iMovie choose Custom for quality in QuickTime Movie setting and do the following:

Video Settings: Compression Type: Apple Intermediate Codec; compressor preset should be the same as the source video

Size: The same as the source video

Audio Settings: Format: Linear PCM, Rate: 48000 Hz

That will give you the identical settings iMovie uses when it imports HD video files.

Hi Tsantee. Thank you very much for replying. Bad news 1st then good. I've done more than you can imagine with this and am convinced its a Toaster problem +/- issue with the three working together- my mac, Toast 10 (with HD plugin) and iMovie09. Now bare with me. I can't import the avchd video directly because iMovie 09 requires Intel Macs for these. (and I'm not ready just yet to throw my otherwise good machine away and spend thousands again). I've tried your toast conversion suggestion above to the letter and no good either. The converted video is greyed out and not selectable for import. But I have managed to import the video that other demo apps converted- VoltaicHD (good quality) and even the defunct iSquint (badly). I am yet to try Handbrake and iSkysoft.

I am annoyed with Toast and iMovie. I paid for them.

Any further suggestions much appreciated indeed but will also take up with Roxio

Cheers from Sydney, Australia

By the way, do "permission" errors have anything to do with it? Disk utility (on DVD and HDD) and Drive Genius 2 are not able to clear the 50 or so permission differences after a "repair".

Edited by azuregold

Hi Tsantee. Thank you very much for replying. Bad news 1st then good. I've done more than you can imagine with this and am convinced its a Toaster problem +/- issue with the three working together- my mac, Toast 10 (with HD plugin) and iMovie09. Now bare with me. I can't import the avchd video directly because iMovie 09 requires Intel Macs for these. (and I'm not ready just yet to throw my otherwise good machine away and spend thousands again). I've tried your toast conversion suggestion above to the letter and no good either. The converted video is greyed out and not selectable for import. But I have managed to import the video that other demo apps converted- VoltaicHD (good quality) and even the defunct iSquint (badly). I am yet to try Handbrake and iSkysoft.

I am annoyed with Toast and iMovie. I paid for them.

Any further suggestions much appreciated indeed but will also take up with Roxio

Cheers from Sydney, Australia

By the way, do "permission" errors have anything to do with it? Disk utility (on DVD and HDD) and Drive Genius 2 are not able to clear the 50 or so permission differences after a "repair".

I found the problem. Toast adds a text track to the video stream when it does the export that causes it not to be recognized. I have QuickTime Pro and am able to use it to quickly remove that text track. The process is to open the Toast-exported video in QuickTime Pro, choose Show Movie Properties from the Window menu, click on the Text track, click the Delete button and choose Save.

I'll let Roxio know about this. I don't know the Text track's purpose but Toast has always done this. It wasn't an issue with iMovie HD but it is with the new iMovie.

I found the problem. Toast adds a text track to the video stream when it does the export that causes it not to be recognized. I have QuickTime Pro and am able to use it to quickly remove that text track. The process is to open the Toast-exported video in QuickTime Pro, choose Show Movie Properties from the Window menu, click on the Text track, click the Delete button and choose Save.

I'll let Roxio know about this. I don't know the Text track's purpose but Toast has always done this. It wasn't an issue with iMovie HD but it is with the new iMovie.

You may well be a genius. I haven't tried this yet because I would need to purchase QT pro 7.6. But I think too much: Issues- For the same price I get VoltaicHD which does it itself not needing transfer between apps for each clip. Also, perhaps Toast update would solve this?. Also, QT X will be out in Sept, so I could wait for this - but will this only work with SnowLeopard however, which my PPC does not support? It seems the planned obsolescence period is shrinking.

I have found that going to Prefs>Audio & Video and setting Chapter Markers to None allows imports to iMovie.

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your discovery.