• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slow Burn Time

vmclose

Question

I have both Easy Media Creator 8 and WinDVD Creator on my almost new HP computer. Can anyone tell me why it takes SEVEN HOURS AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTES (!!) to burn a DVD with MyDVD (Roxio), and only two hours to burn the exact same thing with WinDVD Creator?

Also, does anyone know where I can get or download a user manual for Easy Media Creator 8?

Many thanks,

11 answers to this question

I have both Easy Media Creator 8 and WinDVD Creator on my almost new HP computer. Can anyone tell me why it takes SEVEN HOURS AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTES (!!) to burn a DVD with MyDVD (Roxio), and only two hours to burn the exact same thing with WinDVD Creator?

Also, does anyone know where I can get or download a user manual for Easy Media Creator 8?

Many thanks,

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=2243

Haven't got a clue on why it takes so long. How big, timewise, is your production. What are your computer specs.? Stop all uneccesary processes running in the background, when you burn.

Many thanks,

I don't know you specs but what are the settings that you are using for both these products? HQ or LQ, it might make a difference what settings they use.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=2243

Haven't got a clue on why it takes so long. How big, timewise, is your production. What are your computer specs.? Stop all uneccesary processes running in the background, when you burn.

Hi, Grandpa Bruce -- thanks for responding.

The production is about two hours. My computer has 512 MB RAM and an 80 gig hard drive. There aren't very many processes running in the background, because I've unchecked all the unneded ones in msconfig > startup. I've specified the same settings -- high quality -- in both programs (MyDVD and WinDVD Creator). MyDVD consistently takes HOURS to set up and record, while WinDVD Creator will do the same thing in under two hours. Same movie, same quality. This doesn't seem right, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The logical thing is to just use WinDVD Creator...but I just paid over a hundred bucks for the Roxio software!!!

Hi, Grandpa Bruce -- thanks for responding.

The production is about two hours. My computer has 512 MB RAM and an 80 gig hard drive. There aren't very many processes running in the background, because I've unchecked all the unneded ones in msconfig > startup. I've specified the same settings -- high quality -- in both programs (MyDVD and WinDVD Creator). MyDVD consistently takes HOURS to set up and record, while WinDVD Creator will do the same thing in under two hours. Same movie, same quality. This doesn't seem right, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The logical thing is to just use WinDVD Creator...but I just paid over a hundred bucks for the Roxio software!!!

You haven't posted your system specs., but if you are under 2.2Ghz for a processor, that time sounds about right. Maybe a little slow, but you can figure about 3 times the length of the video, if you are at around 2.2 Ghz.

I have a 3Ghz processor, and I think that it would take me close to 3-1/2 hours to encode that length of video. Maybe less, but not much.

But I think the question that the OP wants answered is why it takes longer with EMC than Intervideo. I'm not sure what bitrate IV is working with but I wonder what the difference in quality is.

But I think the question that the OP wants answered is why it takes longer with EMC than Intervideo. I'm not sure what bitrate IV is working with but I wonder what the difference in quality is.

Yah, you're right -- my processor is an AMD Athlon 64, 2.4 gig, running Windows XP, SP2, so I guess the 7 hours for Roxio is about right. But I still can't understand why Intervideo is so much faster -- and there really is no, or almost no difference in quality (depending on the source quality). So it looks like I'll be burning my dvd's with Intervideo, Not Roxio.

I'm a newbie with EMC8 -- I've used Easy CD Creator for years and still like it for a lot of stuff, but it doesn't recognize my DVD recorder (LightScribe).

Anyway, many thanks to both "pcostanza" and "grandpabruce" for responding.

Yah, you're right -- my processor is an AMD Athlon 64, 2.4 gig, running Windows XP, SP2, so I guess the 7 hours for Roxio is about right. But I still can't understand why Intervideo is so much faster -- and there really is no, or almost no difference in quality (depending on the source quality). So it looks like I'll be burning my dvd's with Intervideo, Not Roxio.

I'm a newbie with EMC8 -- I've used Easy CD Creator for years and still like it for a lot of stuff, but it doesn't recognize my DVD recorder (LightScribe).

Anyway, many thanks to both "pcostanza" and "grandpabruce" for responding.

EMC should have no problem recognizing your burner but try this and see if it helps. Also make sure you have the latest firmware for your drive as EMC is firmware dependant.

:huh: Hello;

Ok guys, I'm lost here. What do you mean that a 2 hours production it takes over 7 hours to burn? In my case if the production is 2 hours long the burn will last about the same time, 2 hours. If I have a 1 hour production it takes about 1 hour and so on. And I put a lot of transitions, effects, text and music on my productions, I like to push the product to the limit.

Saludos.

:)

Ok guys, I'm lost here. What do you mean that a 2 hours production it takes over 7 hours to burn? In my case if the production is 2 hours long the burn will last about the same time, 2 hours. If I have a 1 hour production it takes about 1 hour and so on. And I put a lot of transitions, effects, text and music on my productions, I like to push the product to the limit.

Saludos.

Huh???????

Saludos.

Some systems are much slower handling the encoding process therefore, taking longer to complete the burn. Some files may not be dvd compliant and need to be made so and that takes longer. The bitrate settings make a difference.

Usually, my burns also take about the same time as the length of the video to complete but that is not the same for many people.

Some systems are much slower handling the encoding process therefore, taking longer to complete the burn. Some files may not be dvd compliant and need to be made so and that takes longer. The bitrate settings make a difference.

Usually, my burns also take about the same time as the length of the video to complete but that is not the same for many people.

:huh: Thanks Paul,

Archived