• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Machine grinds to a halt after installing EMC 8

dmcomputerguy

Question

This is somewhat of a duplication of some previous posts, but a little different.

My client installed EMC 8 on his computer. The machine immediately slowed down to about one tenth the previous speed. Programs started locking up and sometimes took a minute or more to start.

There is absolutely no question that this was caused by EMC. Before it was installed the machine was fine. The moment the install finished, the machine was all but trash. I have removed EMC, but the machine is still not right. My expectation is that I will have to reinstall Windows and all his programs to make it right.

The machine has plenty of processor speed, memory, and hard drive space. The problem was caused by EMC. I have seen this happen on previous versions of EMC and EZCD. It doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Some people are fine with EMC, others have severe problems. I think it is important that the consumer knows installing this program can cause a catastraphy; perhaps not often, but it happens.

4 answers to this question

This is somewhat of a duplication of some previous posts, but a little different.

My client installed EMC 8 on his computer. The machine immediately slowed down to about one tenth the previous speed. Programs started locking up and sometimes took a minute or more to start.

There is absolutely no question that this was caused by EMC. Before it was installed the machine was fine. The moment the install finished, the machine was all but trash. I have removed EMC, but the machine is still not right. My expectation is that I will have to reinstall Windows and all his programs to make it right.

The machine has plenty of processor speed, memory, and hard drive space. The problem was caused by EMC. I have seen this happen on previous versions of EMC and EZCD. It doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Some people are fine with EMC, others have severe problems. I think it is important that the consumer knows installing this program can cause a catastraphy; perhaps not often, but it happens.

It's helpful to list the specs of the system in question. Also, what was/is already installed on the system that's similar such as packet writing apps like Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc? How much free space is on the system? We need more info to even have an idea where to start our suggestions.

Could be Media Manager doing it's thing to build its database.When it is grinding away to build this database it uses a great amount of memory to do it.You should be able to look at task manager and see if this is the case.Once it finishes,which could take awhile,the machine should return to normal.

Maybe I'm too innocent, but I didn't relate my computer's slowdown to a crawl to my attempts to install EMC 8 a couple of hours earlier. I'm still trying to install it two weeks (and $200.00) later after getting my hard drive flushed and Windows XP reloaded. But I never got to a live setup screen, and it never showed up in Task Manager. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It's helpful to list the specs of the system in question. Also, what was/is already installed on the system that's similar such as packet writing apps like Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc? How much free space is on the system? We need more info to even have an idea where to start our suggestions.

He was a typical hit and run poster. LOL. He never came back after the post.

Maybe I'm too innocent, but I didn't relate my computer's slowdown to a crawl to my attempts to install EMC 8 a couple of hours earlier. I'm still trying to install it two weeks (and $200.00) later after getting my hard drive flushed and Windows XP reloaded. But I never got to a live setup screen, and it never showed up in Task Manager. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

System specs?

Archived