• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Media Player 11 for XP

cdanteek

I've toyed with it in the Vista Beta but it does nothing for me. I use WMP occassionally but am very happy with Winamp. I wonder what spyware they'll have in the latest version of WMP to watch what we listen to?

The way they describe DRM it sounds like a great new feature that everyone will want more of.

As with Macromedia Flash, I think less is more.

Lynn

I do all that I need to do with WMP 9. No DRM there. :)

I'm rather fond of WinPlayer 6.4, actually.

But on the WinXP I have a very basic WinAmp as default, and a smuggled WinPlayer 2000 for CD playing.

I suppose WinPlayer 10 is quite stylish, but I never figured out how to work the controls. Its use is limited to applications, such as amazon.com's player, that are built on it.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bruce, I'll trade you any day my WMP 10 for your ver. 9. Or 8 for that matter. I upgraded to version 10 and don't like it either. But I am told the only way to get rid of it it to remove and do a new clean install of windows XP. I have an older verion of WMP (7) that I would even go back to. If I could just figure out a way to swap versions I sure would.

Frank....

Frank,I think if you remove v10 from the control panel XP will roll back to V9 which is what is installed on initial installation.At least that's what happened for me.V10 has native mp3 ripping and I had installed a third party mp3 app.When I did and uninstalled it I didn't have the mp3 ability in V10.When I uninstalled it XP rolled back to v9,then I reinstalled v10 and had the mp3 ability.

Frank,I think if you remove v10 from the control panel XP will roll back to V9 which is what is installed on initial installation.At least that's what happened for me.V10 has native mp3 ripping and I had installed a third party mp3 app.When I did and uninstalled it I didn't have the mp3 ability in V10.When I uninstalled it XP rolled back to v9,then I reinstalled v10 and had the mp3 ability.

Terry, you ARE the MAN !!! :huh: Previously I sent MS an e-mail and ask if there was a way to change my version 10 back to the version that was loaded by defauly when I installed the operating system. Well, the advice I got was the only way to get it back was to remove the present system and then do a clean install again. And I usually take their (M.S.'s) advice. WHAT A BUNCH OF you know what that advice was :) And coming from MS too !! Just goes to show you even the Techs at MS (did I say techs ?) arent that knowledgeable of their own product. Anyway, Terry, thanks for the advice. I now am running version 9 again. The Control Panel solution did exactly as you said. It rolled back to version 9. About the only thing I had to do was go through the options again and reset the desktop Icon.

Thanks again Terry :D

Frank....

MS MIGHT have been right, depending on how you look at it.

The WinPlayer rolled back, but you still have a WinPlayer.

According to Brendon, WinPlayer 9 doesn't come back out short of a complete reinstall.

I saw it at a friend's house, and thought it looked ugly, so I didn't download it on the Win98 SE (it'd be an hour download @ 56k). I later learned I'd saved ECDC 5 from destruction, so I lucked out.

Lynn

MS MIGHT have been right, depending on how you look at it.

The WinPlayer rolled back, but you still have a WinPlayer.

According to Brendon, WinPlayer 9 doesn't come back out short of a complete reinstall.

I saw it at a friend's house, and thought it looked ugly, so I didn't download it on the Win98 SE (it'd be an hour download @ 56k). I later learned I'd saved ECDC 5 from destruction, so I lucked out.

Lynn

I'm not quite sure what Brendon's statement or suggestion means Lynn. "Doesn't come back out....". As Terry suggested, it did roll back completely to Winplayer 9 which is exactly what I wanted. Everything including all options are the same as I had before. The only thing that I didn't mention in my last post was that after I had rebooted, I got a screen suggesting that I run a security update for Winplayer 9. So far it works just fine and I haven't found anything non-functional about it.

Frank....

I forgot about the security updates Frank,oops.I only rolled mine back long enough to download and reinstall 10.I like using WMP,it lays out a way that I like and is easy to use.I use it for listening to music and ripping tracks from CD's.That's why I was trying to get the native mp3 to come up in it.I was erasing some apps from my machine,erased the third party mp3 program and had no mp3 support in WMP10.There's a decent forum you can find from Microsofts site that talks about WMP and plugins and addons for it.That's where I found the info on rolling back.

As far as V 11 goes I'm still checking it out.I'm not sure I like the way the music tree works as far as Album,Artist,Songs etc .One good thing is you don't have to install the Urge music service initially.

I guess it all comes down to what each person likes and is looking for.We all have our preferences,be it WMP,Winamp or some other app.

Once you have WinPlayer 9 on the Hard Drive, like mustard or chocolate, it doesn't come completely back out.

Thus, if you have/had ECDC 4 or 5, and you add WinPlayer 9, either get newer software or erase the Hard Drive.

But, you weren't trying to run one of those older apps.

Lynn

I understand now Lynn and I guess I was lucky that I wasn't running some of the other programs you suggest, huh ? And I'll check out the other users group that you suggested Terry, should I have need for some suggestions regarding WMP. Thanks... But for now I'm pretty satisfied that everything is working O.K.

Frank....

If WMP 11 is anything like version 10, I won't want it either. Give us a final input ivanatrox, when you finish the beta testing. Hey, who knows, it just might just be the one I have waited for :)

Frank....

If WMP 11 is anything like version 10, I won't want it either. Give us a final input ivanatrox, when you finish the beta testing. Hey, who knows, it just might just be the one I have waited for :)

Frank....

As I said in my earlier post, I can't see what the big deal is. It's not bad for free and doesn't appear to be as bloated but since it's from Microsoft, I'm sure they will be collecting whatever info from you they can. They do make it easy to purchase music online from many different sources so I give them credit for that but of course, they have their music store right up front.

I hope I didn't break any MS rules posting this pic but since it's a public beta, I'm sure it's ok.

post-79-1148320485.jpg

Hi Paul, can you try to play a mpeg2 file with WMP 11 and let me know how it turns out for you?

All appears fine for me. I mostly use the mpeg files captured from my Hauppauge 500 but I just tried 2 different files and they work fine too. Mind me asking what I am looking for? What problems have you had?

Archived