MyDVD 8 crashing

timlister

Question

I am almost at the end of the road on this one. My daughter graduates from college on Saturday 5-13-06 and I have put together a compilation of video clips from the last 20 years. I also have a slideshow.

When I did the initial build of this it worked OK but I discovered when I played in a DVD set-to player that the menu options were screwy (had to go right, then down, then left, etc.). After many hours I re-worked the menu clips so the a right arrow would scroll through them. I also added a slideshow.

When I try to burn an iso file it starts the encoding process and sometimes makes it a few minutes, then the system reboots. I de-installed EMC8, reinstalled, applied the latest patch + a hotfix for encoding errors. It still does it.

I am almost in panic mode now. :) I am about to siwtch over and do the project in Adobe Premiere Elements but it is limited as to menu customization (I have version 2 of PrEl but cannot install because of CPU instruction set requirements).

Does anyone have any ideas?

I successfully burned a DVD already but it has the dis-jointed menu sequence. It still works but you have to man-handle the remote to get to the clip you want.

I would be forever indebted if someone can help me break loose on this problem.

Thanks,

Tim Lister

4 answers to this question

Update.

I solved my own problem on this one. My PC (AMD ATHLON 64 3200 Barton w/1gb RAM) was running fine for everything else. When I went to create an ISO file or burn a DVD from Roxio, my system would reboot. :huh:

I tried everything "Roxio related" that I could think of. I uninstalled, re-installed, applied current maintenance. I even upgraded the firmware on my DVD burner. Still had the problem.

After allowing a few days to pass, a light bulb went off. I started thinking in terms of the CPU itself and fans, etc. What was happening is my CPU was overheating. It only occurred during a DVD encoding since it uses some serious CPU. So, therefore, it appeared that Roxio was the culprit. I got a can of air and blew the heat sink clean without removing it. My CPU was still hot but not as hot. It would hover around high 70's celsius when the problem was occuring. After the "blowout" it hung around mid to high 50's.

I replaced the heat sink and now it hangs around 49-51 for normal work. It got up to 53 when I burned a DVD. I believe that the reboots occured because of a safety feature. When it reached a certain temperature it just shut down.

I am very much relieved. Now I will know to look at this as a problem area. I downloaded a freeware software application that monitors the temperature.

Thanks to all of you for the help. :)

Tim Lister

Update.

I solved my own problem on this one. My PC (AMD ATHLON 64 3200 Barton w/1gb RAM) was running fine for everything else. When I went to create an ISO file or burn a DVD from Roxio, my system would reboot. :huh:

I tried everything "Roxio related" that I could think of. I uninstalled, re-installed, applied current maintenance. I even upgraded the firmware on my DVD burner. Still had the problem.

After allowing a few days to pass, a light bulb went off. I started thinking in terms of the CPU itself and fans, etc. What was happening is my CPU was overheating. It only occurred during a DVD encoding since it uses some serious CPU. So, therefore, it appeared that Roxio was the culprit. I got a can of air and blew the heat sink clean without removing it. My CPU was still hot but not as hot. It would hover around high 70's celsius when the problem was occuring. After the "blowout" it hung around mid to high 50's.

I replaced the heat sink and now it hangs around 49-51 for normal work. It got up to 53 when I burned a DVD. I believe that the reboots occured because of a safety feature. When it reached a certain temperature it just shut down.

I am very much relieved. Now I will know to look at this as a problem area. I downloaded a freeware software application that monitors the temperature.

Thanks to all of you for the help. :)

Tim Lister

Good detective work. A few times in the past this has been mentioned but I never remember it. I believe it's been more so in laptops which seem to get dusty faster and don't have the best airflow.

Thanks for letting us know your solution.

Guest ivanatrox

What is the video card you have? You can try to switch to Software render in Tools -> Options and see if it still crashes.

Ivan

Archived