Does Ie8 Cause Any Problems For Emc7?

Burch

Question

I haven't found much reference to IEv8 in the forum. But I've recently learned that IE8 supports tabbed browsing.

I'm still at IE6, and seldom use it (and my MS-auto-updating is disabled). It would be nice to have tabs, when I have to have IE.

12 answers to this question

I haven't found much reference to IEv8 in the forum. But I've recently learned that IE8 supports tabbed browsing.

I'm still at IE6, and seldom use it (and my MS-auto-updating is disabled). It would be nice to have tabs, when I have to have IE.

IE 7 screws up EMC 7/7.5 as does WMP 11. I would guess that IE 8 would also do that but I haven't heard anyone trying it. If you want tabs, use Firefox 3 or Safari3.2.

IE 7 screws up EMC 7/7.5 as does WMP 11. I would guess that IE 8 would also do that but I haven't heard anyone trying it. If you want tabs, use Firefox 3 or Safari3.2.

Thanks for your reply, Steve, but I was/am hoping for a non-guess. I'm a long-time user of Firefox (and Netscape, when it first added tabs support). Would prefer to benefit from anyone else's experience, if at all possible.

Note: I *thought* I was posting this in the EMC 7/7.5 - General Discussion section. Can someone move it for me? Thanks.

Yes IE8 causes the same issues that IE 7 did with EMC 7/7.5

I installed EMC 7 on a test machine that has IE8 on it and EMC 7 has all the same issues that I encountered with IE 7. After uninstalling IE8 (returned to IE 6), all was ok again.

So if you want to keep using EMC 7 and want tabbed browsing, stick with using FireFox and keep IE at v6.

Let me add my thanks, too. I had avoided IE7 because of the known Roxio EMC 7.5 problems, and for a moment figured IE8 would probably be OK. Happily, I had second thoughts and first came to this forum before allowing Microsoft to download that particular "critical update." I'll avoid it now. Might be critical to them. My Roxio is critical to me!

Burch,

Hi my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help provide assistance to folks about their Internet Explorer.

Here is some info about enhanced tab browsing features in IE8:

The New Tab Page has been redesigned to allow the user to perform common tasks by clicking links on the New Tab Page. Some new features include:

Tab Groups – Tab grouping ensures that when the user chooses to open a link from a page in a new tab, that the new tab is placed adjacent to the original tab where the user would expect it rather than at the end of the tabs.

Tab color coding – Tab Groups are colored so that users can quickly identify which tabs are part of the same Tab Group.

Reopen last browsing session – Internet Explorer 8 enables users to reopen their last browsing session from the most recently closed instance of Internet Explorer which is useful if the user accidentally closes the browser.

To learn more check out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...navigation.aspx

Hope this helps!

Feran

Burch,

Hi my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help provide assistance to folks about their Internet Explorer.

Here is some info about enhanced tab browsing features in IE8:

The New Tab Page has been redesigned to allow the user to perform common tasks by clicking links on the New Tab Page. Some new features include:

Tab Groups – Tab grouping ensures that when the user chooses to open a link from a page in a new tab, that the new tab is placed adjacent to the original tab where the user would expect it rather than at the end of the tabs.

Tab color coding – Tab Groups are colored so that users can quickly identify which tabs are part of the same Tab Group.

Reopen last browsing session – Internet Explorer 8 enables users to reopen their last browsing session from the most recently closed instance of Internet Explorer which is useful if the user accidentally closes the browser.

To learn more check out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...navigation.aspx

Hope this helps!

Feran

I doubt seriously that it helped the OP. What part of your spam mentioned whether or not it kills EMC 7/7.5? That is what the OP is asking, NOT HOW TO USE IE 8.

Hi my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help provide assistance to folks

Are you the folks who knock on my door and wake me in the weekends so you can give me your pamphlets ??

Stay away!! The weekend is MY TIME to catch up on sleep. :(

Thanks for the info, Feran. I've used IE8 "at the office" for a few days (have been wondering about the "odd" color changes for the tabs!), but not yet brave enough (not yet!) to actually try it at home, where Roxio EMC7 is one of my "most important" applications.

Thanks for your reply, Steve, but I was/am hoping for a non-guess. I'm a long-time user of Firefox (and Netscape, when it first added tabs support). Would prefer to benefit from anyone else's experience, if at all possible.

Note: I *thought* I was posting this in the EMC 7/7.5 - General Discussion section. Can someone move it for me? Thanks.

I installed EMC 7 on a test machine that has IE8 on it and EMC 7 has all the same issues that I encountered with IE 7. After uninstalling IE8 (returned to IE 6), all was ok again.

So if you want to keep using EMC 7 and want tabbed browsing, stick with using FireFox and keep IE at v6.

Thanks, Larry. You saved me the trouble of downloading IE8.

Archived