Difficulty installing dvd8

davidkinney@pathway

Question

I purchased the downloadable version of dvd8 premier from digital river when the download was completed I received a message from the install wizard that said the executable I am attempting to install is corrupted and can not be installed. I am not sure what this means. I have tried to re download several times with the same results. I am running windows xp home edition, version 5.1 service pack2 build 2600 with x86 family 15 model processor from phoenix technologies ltd 3.04 10/29/04 on an hp pavilion a 810n with a mx704 monitor if that is of any help. I have 512 mb physical mem 127.77 mb available 200 gb virtual mem 1.96 gb available. Also unfortunatly I only have access to a 56k modem (I live in BFE)

I started out trying to burn a dvd slide show of win movie maker that I created for my step sons graduation in june. Windows updates sent me to sonic because they are compatable with these files. from here I am completly lost. Is there a way to turn off the install wizard and install it myself? I have never had a problem installing anything else. I am used to plug n play. Have I used up too much memory? I just want to burn a dvd so that it will play on the tv screen at his open houses. His mom is counting on me to finish it since I am "the technology" person. (Yeah only because she can't program a vcr yet) :)

19 answers to this question

most likely the file you downloaded was not complete. If you right click on the file you downloaded then choose Properties, what is the Size for it?

Ivan

I wish I could find the file now. Ive tried to re download my 5 times and the dl takes about 4 seconds which is way too fast. Then I get the messege about a corrupt executable. When I get my back up cd can I load the program with it? I wish computers liked me better. sigh

You should be able to use the cd.It's so that if you lose your download you don't have to worry about trying to fight to get it again.I have made cd's of the downloads I've done just in case.They don't work the same but I still have a copy of the download.If you keep getting that same message you must be having soem kind of trouble getting a good download.Best thing may to be just wait for the cd and try again then.

You should be able to use the cd.It's so that if you lose your download you don't have to worry about trying to fight to get it again.I have made cd's of the downloads I've done just in case.They don't work the same but I still have a copy of the download.If you keep getting that same message you must be having soem kind of trouble getting a good download.Best thing may to be just wait for the cd and try again then.

Thanks that makes me feel better at least I didn't completly waste my money. I guess with my lack of expertise I should have purchased the physical product and waited for ups. I just feel the crunch of a dead line.

btw is there anyway to get better than 56k through a normal phone line? Out here in BFE I'm lucky to not still be useing rotory dial.

I wish I could find the file now. Ive tried to re download my 5 times and the dl takes about 4 seconds which is way too fast. Then I get the messege about a corrupt executable. When I get my back up cd can I load the program with it? I wish computers liked me better. sigh

It should be on my desktop. Ive searched my files for roxio, sonic, sonic solutions, dvd8, and executable downloads. It just disapeared. I will just have to take a deep breath and wait for my back up cd to arive.

Thanks for trying to help a complete moron.

No one that frequents these forums are morons (well we have a couple that probably were not morons, just obnoxious :):huh: ), so give yourself a pat on the back for posting your problem. One way or another I suggest it will get solved.

When you say your searched just about everywhere on your computer for the program you downlaoded and couldn't find it, I'm not sure if it didn't even start to down load it might not have be registered to your files. However, just as a suggestion, bring up "Windows Explorer" (Start--Programs--Accessories--Windows Explorer) and open up your "Local Disk (C:)" (click on the little + sign next to it), then cursor down to the "WINDOWS" line and then on down to "Down Loaded Installations". Take a look on the right side of the screen and see if anything there looks familiar as far as your program you down loaded is concerned. If you do see something right click on it and then on properties to see the information about it.

If nothing there then also continue to cursor on down and check the "INSTALLER" folder. There you should see a multitude of files that all start with numbers and letters. If you highlight each one at a time you might be able to see something there (on the right side of the screen) that might look familiar also. id anything looks familiar do the properties thing again and see how large the file is and maybe get back to "IVANATROX", who might have some other suggestions for you.

Frank.....

As far as the 56k goes,it is law that you cannot do more than 56k because of the way phone cables are made and the possibility of bleed over to other peoples lines.If you live out aways from the phone company central office this will have something to do with the speed you can hit,especially if they use some kind of carrier system to get lines to you.No matter what the situation they won't guarantee any kind of speed as you are paying for a voice line not data.If and when you can ever go to DSL then it becomes a different matter.

No one that frequents these forums are morons (well we have a couple that probably were not morons, just obnoxious :):huh: ), so give yourself a pat on the back for posting your problem. One way or another I suggest it will get solved.

When you say your searched just about everywhere on your computer for the program you downlaoded and couldn't find it, I'm not sure if it didn't even start to down load it might not have be registered to your files. However, just as a suggestion, bring up "Windows Explorer" (Start--Programs--Accessories--Windows Explorer) and open up your "Local Disk (C:)" (click on the little + sign next to it), then cursor down to the "WINDOWS" line and then on down to "Down Loaded Installations". Take a look on the right side of the screen and see if anything there looks familiar as far as your program you down loaded is concerned. If you do see something right click on it and then on properties to see the information about it.

If nothing there then also continue to cursor on down and check the "INSTALLER" folder. There you should see a multitude of files that all start with numbers and letters. If you highlight each one at a time you might be able to see something there (on the right side of the screen) that might look familiar also. id anything looks familiar do the properties thing again and see how large the file is and maybe get back to "IVANATROX", who might have some other suggestions for you.

Frank.....

Well lets see where to start today.....okay in windows I find the dwn loadinstalls hmmm nothing there that was even created this year let alone the 5th of may.

Installer folder? I dont see one in windows. opps clicked on i386... think I'll sneak back from that one, It looks scary dont want my cyber world falling down around me.

hmmm? If I only got a fragment of the down load would my system tools have gotten rid of it when they performed a disk clean up and defrag operation? My computer is set to do that every 3 days.

This might have already been done but if you know what the filename is just go to Start,Search and try looking through your hard drive that way.Seems like it would be easier than looking through folders manually.Ignore this if you've already done that.

This might have already been done but if you know what the filename is just go to Start,Search and try looking through your hard drive that way.Seems like it would be easier than looking through folders manually.Ignore this if you've already done that.

I have and I haven't. I'm not sure what file name to look for I assumed Roxio or sonic or digital river and I know that I dl-ed it may 5 around 6 pm my time so I searched that information. I may have modified it in subsequent attempts to dwn ld though so I had to look at everything I did from may 5 to may 11. With everything that was in that search I may have missed something.

one of redwagons older post mentioned that sometimes the little steps are what get you messed up. I probably missed a bunch of little steps. Normally I hit download come back much later (56K) and hit yes I want to install or run and then I start playing around with my new toy. I've mostly dwn lded games but I thought I should try to act my age and start useing this transisterized tormenter for something productive. :)

most likely the file you downloaded was not complete. If you right click on the file you downloaded then choose Properties, what is the Size for it?

Ivan

I think I found it. ROXIOMYDVDPREMIER8_DVPEFIGSD[-16875B12.pf its 53.4kb What does prefetch mean? Its a pf file and my computer does not know the program that opens it. (what ) it directs me to another download for something called stuff it. Well heres where I start begging for help :)

Well lets see where to start today.....okay in windows I find the dwn loadinstalls hmmm nothing there that was even created this year let alone the 5th of may.

Installer folder? I dont see one in windows. opps clicked on i386... think I'll sneak back from that one, It looks scary dont want my cyber world falling down around me.

hmmm? If I only got a fragment of the down load would my system tools have gotten rid of it when they performed a disk clean up and defrag operation? My computer is set to do that every 3 days.

I think I found it. ROXIOMYDVDPREMIER8_DVPEFIGSD[-16875B12.pf its 53.4kb What does prefetch mean? Its a pf file and my computer does not know the program that opens it. (what ) it directs me to another download for something called stuff it. Well heres where I start begging for help

Guest ivanatrox

you might want to re-download the file again and this time please choose to Save the file instead of Run. The size of the complete file for MyDVD 8 Premier should be 372.3 MB. Howver, if you only have a 56K connection, it would take you more than 12 hours to download the file. worth a shot but personally I would suggest you to order a disc version

Ivan

Taken From Microsoft Website:

Windows XP monitors the files that are used when the computer starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows XP can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache. Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP and start applications.

At 53K this file is probably just a remnant of a process.I'd ignore it and try again.

you might want to re-download the file again and this time please choose to Save the file instead of Run. The size of the complete file for MyDVD 8 Premier should be 372.3 MB. Howver, if you only have a 56K connection, it would take you more than 12 hours to download the file. worth a shot but personally I would suggest you to order a disc version

Ivan

Well that leads to 2 more things I did wrong. Ive used up my five downloads from digital river. I orderd a back up disc and electronic download when the physical disc version was the same price. I guess I'm out 80 some odd dollars. I really can not afford to pay again and I don'y know how I would return something I wasn't able to receive. I wish I could actually speak to a customer service person at sonic or roxio or digital river where ever it is I tried to do this from. Oh well. Ill try to find live support chat again. (pray that it configures this time) and see what happens.

isn't there some way to compress the file into something a bit more manageable and then expand it back after it has been sent? A zip file or something, I can't remember.(what computer classes I had were a long time ago. We used Tandy trs80's (TRASH 80's)

BTW Terry, the only reason I suggested to the OP to go to Windows Explorer and searching "manually" through a few of the folders where down loaded information is stored, is the OP had previously suggested she had done the regular "search" method and had come up empty.

I must agree with Ivanatrox that trying to down load a file of that size (300+MB) is probably useless, as the connection with the ISP will probably time her out before she gets very far. Getting the actual program CD is the best way to Go.

Frank.....

Well that leads to 2 more things I did wrong. Ive used up my five downloads from digital river. I orderd a back up disc and electronic download when the physical disc version was the same price. I guess I'm out 80 some odd dollars. I really can not afford to pay again and I don'y know how I would return something I wasn't able to receive. I wish I could actually speak to a customer service person at sonic or roxio or digital river where ever it is I tried to do this from. Oh well. Ill try to find live support chat again. (pray that it configures this time) and see what happens.
I had excellent results when I returned a product a month or so ago. I think I called the sales number - 1-866-280-7694 - to get it straightened out. I assume it was toll-free - haven't had any huge telephone bills arrive yet :). The return instructions and confirmation came by email. Good luck!

PS. If you know anyone with a hi-speed connection, you could download it from there. I have done that in the past.

No problem Frank.I saw "I searched for these files..." and just was trying to make sure all the bases were covered.Looks like they have been.

I agree,it takes a lot of patience and some courage,along with some luck to try and download a file that large over a 56K connection.I'm with you guys and say waiting for the disc is the route to take.

No problem Frank.I saw "I searched for these files..." and just was trying to make sure all the bases were covered.Looks like they have been.

I agree,it takes a lot of patience and some courage,along with some luck to try and download a file that large over a 56K connection.I'm with you guys and say waiting for the disc is the route to take.

Well I will have to wait for the back up. To make matters worse I just tried to send my movie maker project to a cd (which has always worked on the computer) program wont do it. I have 79% of my disk free, about 114gb. I guess its just my time to have trouble. If it does not kill you it's a learning experience, Right?

Guest ivanatrox

Ivan

Archived