• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can I remove Chapter Menus altogether

jordinyc

Question

I'm using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition (Build 7.1.0.95 ENU). It's an OEM version that came with a DVD burner.

Here's my question:

Is there a way to create a DVD without a chapter menu?

If so, how?

It might seem like a nifty bonus to have to make the viewer go thru more menus before watching the video, but most people I know are wierdos who don't like having to be prompted repeatedly before being able to do what they actually want to do.

I'm pretty sure I've gone thru the help file and manuals and I haven't come up with any information that allows me to do anything more than change the "theme" of said menus.

Also, is there a way to make a DVD that doesn't have ANY menus at all? I've purchased legit DVD's that do this, example, the third Tenchi Muyo movie "Tenchi Forever". You put the disk in and it just plays the movie right away?

I'd settle for either solution.

Thanks

j

7 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

Unfortunately, I don't think you can with the OEM version.

The EMC Suite has Disk Copy which would allow you to copy only the movie to the DVD.

Great answers and suggestions ml. Boy, it's been a long time ago when I went through the exact same problem when I was using EMC 7.x. The way I finally made my first slide for the DVD was as you suggested: Making it a color slide and then adding some kind of text. Well, after trying to think of some nifty text (some very similar to your "Press Start....etc.") I finally ended up with a nice logo for my personal DVD's that has my Company Logo on it and basic location. Something like .."Produced By: My Name" then a Date on the next line and then my California Location. It's a jpeg file all in color and really looks pretty good, and it makes the DVD start out a little more professional (assuming that can be done by an amatuer like me :) )

Frank....

Great ideas from both ML and Frank. I will try both of them. I like how you think! Thanks,

S

Unfortunately, I don't think you can with the OEM version.

The EMC Suite has Disk Copy which would allow you to copy only the movie to the DVD.

Hmm ... so let me get this straight, and I'm not being sarcastic here. You're saying I:

1 - create the DVD using Easy Media Creator, then

2 - copy THAT DVD to another DVD using Disk Copy.

I suppose I could do that. I hadn't actually considered it.

So can I take it that the full version of Roxio includes a more robust DVD creator that actually DOES let you choose between the option of having or not having various levels of menus, including none? Does anyone know that for a fact?

Guest mlpasley
So can I take it that the full version of Roxio includes a more robust DVD creator that actually DOES let you choose between the option of having or not having various levels of menus, including none? Does anyone know that for a fact?

That's not exactly what I said. It's the Disk Copier portion of the program that allows you to copy only the movie to a DVD.

If you want to make things easy on people who don't have a lot of DVD player skills......

Make the very first panel of your movie a color panel. On it put text that says, 'Press Enter or Play to start' in large letters. Don't make submenus.

On the DVD Builder menu, choose the option that allows you to move the movie on the menu. Stretch it using the double sided arrow to make the first panel really large so that it can be read from a distance.

That should be easy for anyone to understand.

OH.... and to answer your original question (sorry, I cannot read). There is an option when you go to MARK the chapters to UNCHECK the Create Chapter Menus (lower left hand corner). You can still skip from chapter to chapter using the DVD player remote control, but you won't see the chapters on a submenu.

My original answer was a bit off the mark because I was answering the last portion of the question about making a DVD without any menus at all. No excuse, but I obviously hadn't had my daily ration of caffeine.

Hope that helps.

That's not exactly what I said. It's the Disk Copier portion of the program that allows you to copy only the movie to a DVD.

If you want to make things easy on people who don't have a lot of DVD player skills......

Make the very first panel of your movie a color panel. On it put text that says, 'Press Enter or Play to start' in large letters. Don't make submenus.

On the DVD Builder menu, choose the option that allows you to move the movie on the menu. Stretch it using the double sided arrow to make the first panel really large so that it can be read from a distance.

That should be easy for anyone to understand.

OH.... and to answer your original question (sorry, I cannot read). There is an option when you go to MARK the chapters to UNCHECK the Create Chapter Menus (lower left hand corner). You can still skip from chapter to chapter using the DVD player remote control, but you won't see the chapters on a submenu.

My original answer was a bit off the mark because I was answering the last portion of the question about making a DVD without any menus at all. No excuse, but I obviously hadn't had my daily ration of caffeine.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I've been reading these posts because I, too, do not want a Title Menu on my DVD slideshows. Your suggestion about using a color panel with "play" instructions is a workable idea. I could live with that. However, that "play" panel then becoems the first panel of the show and remains in the show. Because apparently the first panel automataically becomes the Title Menu. If there is no way to delete the Title Menu altogether, is there a way to create a title that does not appear as a slide in my slide show at all? Just as a Title Menu only? I'm a newbie so go easy on me.

Guest mlpasley

If there is no way to delete the Title Menu altogether, is there a way to create a title that does not appear as a slide in my slide show at all? Just as a Title Menu only?

Well, you could change the background to a picture that says "press Play......" ( right click on the BACKGROUND) Then if you want you can leave the original video or shrink it down so that it doesn't show on the menu ( You could make it look like a period.).

Your other choice would be to put the slide at the END of the production, then right click on the VIDEO and choose, change thumbnail. You can change the duration to .3. It will display at the end of the video, but you can fade it out to black or a 'the end' quickly. Not an ideal solution, but displaying it for only .3 seconds at the beginning or the end makes it less noticeable.

Or you can burn just the one title to a DVD using Disk Copier. When you go to 'burn' the DVD in DVD Builder, deselect the burner and choose "save as image file'. Then you can use Disk Copier to burn just the one movie to a DVD. That's usually not an option if you have a Basic or OEM version of the software.

Great answers and suggestions ml. Boy, it's been a long time ago when I went through the exact same problem when I was using EMC 7.x. The way I finally made my first slide for the DVD was as you suggested: Making it a color slide and then adding some kind of text. Well, after trying to think of some nifty text (some very similar to your "Press Start....etc.") I finally ended up with a nice logo for my personal DVD's that has my Company Logo on it and basic location. Something like .."Produced By: My Name" then a Date on the next line and then my California Location. It's a jpeg file all in color and really looks pretty good, and it makes the DVD start out a little more professional (assuming that can be done by an amatuer like me :) )

Frank....

Archived