Easy CD Creator 6.x

rgarr5

I have Easy CD Creator 6.x and I've had Easy CD Creator 5.3.5 and when I use Creator Classic I drag & and drop say 12 songs to burn from my hard drive but when I hit burn the first time it started to burn and then it froze and said we have encountered a problem and have to exit. So I had to do a Cntrl. Alt. Del. to get out of that.

Then I d/l all the updates and rebooted and started over and now when I hit burn I get the message ' there are no supported recorders available. Make sure that your recorder is powered on and that all cables are properly connected, also, make sure that the latest ver. of the software is installed to insure that you have the latest drivers '. If anyone can help me with this I sure would appreciate it...I'm at a loss! Thank you one and all in advance for your help!!!

I have a 2002 Dell 8250 2.8 Gig 1024 Ram so there is no problem with power!

I have Easy CD Creator 6.x and I've had Easy CD Creator 5.3.5 and when I use Creator Classic I drag & and drop say 12 songs to burn from my hard drive but when I hit burn the first time it started to burn and then it froze and said we have encountered a problem and have to exit. So I had to do a Cntrl. Alt. Del. to get out of that.

Then I d/l all the updates and rebooted and started over and now when I hit burn I get the message ' there are no supported recorders available. Make sure that your recorder is powered on and that all cables are properly connected, also, make sure that the latest ver. of the software is installed to insure that you have the latest drivers '. If anyone can help me with this I sure would appreciate it...I'm at a loss! Thank you one and all in advance for your help!!!

I have a 2002 Dell 8250 2.8 Gig 1024 Ram so there is no problem with power!

1 - Was ECDC 6 working fine and this just started happening?.

2 - Do you have the Basic or Platinum version of ECDC 6?.

(clarify which Roxio version number - the version number can be found by going to the program in question, clicking on "help" at the top, and then "about").

1 - Was ECDC 6 working fine and this just started happening?.

2 - Do you have the Basic or Platinum version of ECDC 6?.

(clarify which Roxio version number - the version number can be found by going to the program in question, clicking on "help" at the top, and then "about").

1- No ECDC 6 was just installed and this started happening, however, I have had ver. 5.3.5 of ECDC 5 on my PC for a couple of years and all of a sudden it did the same thing about a week ago...it just locked up when I went to burn...and I do the disc-at-once. I have never had a problem with ECDC 5 until then. The odd part was that when I went to uninstall it...it said there was a fatal error and wouldn't let me do an un-install. I wanted to un-install it because I no longer have the disc for it. I've had ECDC 6 for a couple of years and it's registered but I liked ECDC 5.3.5 better. I'm running Win XP Home SP2 and 5 has been compatible. Anyway my point is that both ECDC 5 & 6 lock up at the burning point in the process. I thought that maybe I had accidently deleted a file or a registry key on 5 when I do a cleaning...but even a system restore didn't work. That's when I installed ECDC 6 with all the new files etc. but it still locks up at the burning point process. Next, I installed Nero 6 Ultra Edition which was given to me a couple of years ago...but I don't like...and it worked fine...no problems at the burning point process. So I'm stumped!

2- I have the Platinum ver. of ECDC 6

I appreciate your help here and apologize for not getting back sooner but I didn't get an email notification!

The actual ver. I have says ECDC 6 ver. 6.0.0.171

1- No ECDC 6 was just installed and this started happening, however, I have had ver. 5.3.5 of ECDC 5 on my PC for a couple of years and all of a sudden it did the same thing about a week ago...it just locked up when I went to burn...and I do the disc-at-once. I have never had a problem with ECDC 5 until then. The odd part was that when I went to uninstall it...it said there was a fatal error and wouldn't let me do an un-install. I wanted to un-install it because I no longer have the disc for it. I've had ECDC 6 for a couple of years and it's registered but I liked ECDC 5.3.5 better. I'm running Win XP Home SP2 and 5 has been compatible. Anyway my point is that both ECDC 5 & 6 lock up at the burning point in the process. I thought that maybe I had accidently deleted a file or a registry key on 5 when I do a cleaning...but even a system restore didn't work. That's when I installed ECDC 6 with all the new files etc. but it still locks up at the burning point process. Next, I installed Nero 6 Ultra Edition which was given to me a couple of years ago...but I don't like...and it worked fine...no problems at the burning point process. So I'm stumped!

2- I have the Platinum ver. of ECDC 6

I appreciate your help here and apologize for not getting back sooner but I didn't get an email notification!

The actual ver. I have says ECDC 6 ver. 6.0.0.171

So, what we have here is 2 versions of Roxio installed (that don't work) and a version of Nero (that does work, but you don' like it).

At this stage, we have no idea what caused your Roxio versions to stop working. To get either one of them working is probably going to require a uninstall/reinstall of one of them to see if that will get either one of them working, maybe......

You don,t have the installation disc for Version 5 so that shoots that down, (that is required for the re-installation). So that leaves us with Version 6 or stay with Nero.

Tell us a some more about how you were using ECDC 5......did you use it make music cd's......copy data files....make data DVD's etc.

If you were only doing basic functions of the software, maybe you could use the internal feature's of XP.

Get back with more info.

To get the e-mail notification, when you click on the reply (to this post) you will see at the bottom of the page a box to be checked for "Enable e-mail notification of replies".

So, what we have here is 2 versions of Roxio installed (that don't work) and a version of Nero (that does work, but you don' like it).

At this stage, we have no idea what caused your Roxio versions to stop working. To get either one of them working is probably going to require a uninstall/reinstall of one of them to see if that will get either one of them working, maybe......

You don,t have the installation disc for Version 5 so that shoots that down, (that is required for the re-installation). So that leaves us with Version 6 or stay with Nero.

Tell us a some more about how you were using ECDC 5......did you use it make music cd's......copy data files....make data DVD's etc.

If you were only doing basic functions of the software, maybe you could use the internal feature's of XP.

Get back with more info.

To get the e-mail notification, when you click on the reply (to this post) you will see at the bottom of the page a box to be checked for "Enable e-mail notification of replies".

I was using ECDC 5 to burn music, specifically MP3's and in that ver. in audio it was set-up like Creator Classic ECDC 6...which I love. You just drag and drop your songs or select them and hit the down arrow. Only in ECDC 5 when you went to burn I used disc-at-once and that was all I had to check...the buffers were already set...as you know all of this I'm sure. But with ECDC 6 when you use Creator Classic and choose music instead of data it works the same way except when you go to the burn point process the speed is right 16x but there is no disc-at-once to check.

Basically, I'm just using the program to burn music CDR's. However, I did use ECDC 5 to make some slideshows of family pics and to copy some data files.

There are a lot of reasons why I don't like Nero and I love Roxio...ease of use...Label Creator...when you set the songs up burn they are numbered...when you hit add and it goes to where your songs are stored Nero 6 doesn't even give the artist only the song and if you want to add the same song twice to your list you cannot do it.

I did an un-install of ECDC 6 an a re-install and the same thing happens so I guess I'm stuck!

I do appreciate your help but I'm at a loss as to what to try next my friend!

For either ECDC/DVDC 6 or ECDC 5, if you don't roxizap it after doing add/remove, there are bits and pieces left which prevent a working reinstallation.

So that would be your first step - the URL is http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe - if you have GoBack V3 installed, uninstall it first, then run roxizap, then reinstall GoBack.

To reinstall ECDC 5, you would need to get a disc - they are still available on eBay, but getting scarce. The liquidators have finished liquidating, and it's basicly people selling their used copies. Download the updates before you try a reinstall, and after installing, DO NOT REBOOT. Add the updates, DO NOT REBOOT. Add the Drive-up patch if needed for the burner. THEN reboot. (SP2 added a lot jof thigns to WinXP that don't work well with ECDC 5; officially it isn't supported, and those people who have gotten it to work report beettr luck installing it after SP2 than installing SP2 after ECDC 6)

For Version 6, after a Roxizap, you should be able to reintall.

So far as I know, it doesn't work to have both 5 and 6 on the same computer, so you need to pick which you want.

Lynn

For either ECDC/DVDC 6 or ECDC 5, if you don't roxizap it after doing add/remove, there are bits and pieces left which prevent a working reinstallation.

So that would be your first step - the URL is http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe - if you have GoBack V3 installed, uninstall it first, then run roxizap, then reinstall GoBack.

To reinstall ECDC 5, you would need to get a disc - they are still available on eBay, but getting scarce. The liquidators have finished liquidating, and it's basicly people selling their used copies. Download the updates before you try a reinstall, and after installing, DO NOT REBOOT. Add the updates, DO NOT REBOOT. Add the Drive-up patch if needed for the burner. THEN reboot. (SP2 added a lot jof thigns to WinXP that don't work well with ECDC 5; officially it isn't supported, and those people who have gotten it to work report beettr luck installing it after SP2 than installing SP2 after ECDC 6)

For Version 6, after a Roxizap, you should be able to reintall.

So far as I know, it doesn't work to have both 5 and 6 on the same computer, so you need to pick which you want.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn,

I will try these things on Sunday and report back...as I have to leave now to go out of town. I will let you know my friend. I do appreciate your help.

I was using ECDC 5 to burn music, specifically MP3's and in that ver. in audio it was set-up like Creator Classic ECDC 6...which I love. You just drag and drop your songs or select them and hit the down arrow. Only in ECDC 5 when you went to burn I used disc-at-once and that was all I had to check...the buffers were already set...as you know all of this I'm sure. But with ECDC 6 when you use Creator Classic and choose music instead of data it works the same way except when you go to the burn point process the speed is right 16x but there is no disc-at-once to check.

Basically, I'm just using the program to burn music CDR's. However, I did use ECDC 5 to make some slideshows of family pics and to copy some data files.

There are a lot of reasons why I don't like Nero and I love Roxio...ease of use...Label Creator...when you set the songs up burn they are numbered...when you hit add and it goes to where your songs are stored Nero 6 doesn't even give the artist only the song and if you want to add the same song twice to your list you cannot do it.

I did an un-install of ECDC 6 an a re-install and the same thing happens so I guess I'm stuck!

I do appreciate your help but I'm at a loss as to what to try next my friend!

In V6, after you click Burn there is a "Details" button you need to click to see the rest of the options available to you.

post-39-1147514804.jpg

In V6, after you click Burn there is a "Details" button you need to click to see the rest of the options available to you.

Thanks for the help on the hide details button.

I haven't been able to get there yet because after I tried everything that was asked of me in the last post I did a test this morning...loaded 12 songs and hit burn...then the pop-up came up that I didn't have a default re-corder so being the dummy that I feel like at this point I looked on the screen and it said beside default re-corder...none. So maybe this might be my problem. I tried to get to your screen shot to set record options...set as default...but obviously it wouldn't let me because every time I hit the burn button the pop-up comes up.

Can you tell me how to work around this and set a default re-corder?

I appreciate your help my friend!

I will try whatever you suggest and post back Sunday as I have to leave town for one night.

Thanks for the help on the hide details button.

I haven't been able to get there yet because after I tried everything that was asked of me in the last post I did a test this morning...loaded 12 songs and hit burn...then the pop-up came up that I didn't have a default re-corder so being the dummy that I feel like at this point I looked on the screen and it said beside default re-corder...none. So maybe this might be my problem. I tried to get to your screen shot to set record options...set as default...but obviously it wouldn't let me because every time I hit the burn button the pop-up comes up.

Can you tell me how to work around this and set a default re-corder?

I appreciate your help my friend!

I will try whatever you suggest and post back Sunday as I have to leave town for one night.

From the menu choices in Classic: Tools – Drive Properties. What does it have to say about your drives?

If it doesn't list any or lists them as ROM drives see what Device Manager has to say: Win-Pause, Hardware tab.

With all the install problems it is possible that Windows has lost the drives…

From the menu choices in Classic: Tools – Drive Properties. What does it have to say about your drives?

If it doesn't list any or lists them as ROM drives see what Device Manager has to say: Win-Pause, Hardware tab.

With all the install problems it is possible that Windows has lost the drives…

- From the menu choices in Classic Tools...when I click on Tools the drop-down list Drive Properties is shaded and there but you can't select it.

-When I go into Device Manager...Hardware Tab at the top it says D295WP29 first then under Computer it says ACPI uniprocessor PC...and next by Disk drives when you expand the tree it says only WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0...then Display adaptors expands and says 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out and then 128 DDr ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out Sec...and finally by DVD/CD-ROM drives it says _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A and then below that it says LITEON DVD-ROM LTD 163.

-It looks as if you are right that the PC has lost drives D: and E: Now I really feel foolish. I just put a disk in Drive D: and it wouldn't auto play and when I clickd on Start...My Computer and D: drive it wouldn't start to play so the PC has lost the drives. The drive letters are there A: C: D: E: but obviously the PC isn't recognizing the drives. Do you have any ideas on how I might get these drives back?

-I'm at a loss and I do appreciate all your help...you're the only one who has stuck with me here my friend. I think this post or thread has been viewed 126 times. Anyway if you can suggest ways that I might get these drives back I will be eternally grateful! :)

2 ways to get them back, Easy and Less Easy…

Easy: In Device Manager. Delete the drives, exit and reboot.

If no change, then Less Easy:

Delete the drives again in Device Manager.

Then delete the Upper/Lower Filters for the drives. Print this message as the instructions must be followed to the letter.

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. High light this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

2 ways to get them back, Easy and Less Easy…

Easy: In Device Manager. Delete the drives, exit and reboot.

If no change, then Less Easy:

Delete the drives again in Device Manager.

Then delete the Upper/Lower Filters for the drives. Print this message as the instructions must be followed to the letter.

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. High light this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

-Easy...didn't work

-Less Easy...everything showed up in Device Manager and Hardware as before but this time I put a music CD in the D: drive and it autoplayed and worked. Btw, james, I followed the registry instructions to the letter.

-Problem...I don't know why this should matter but my file type extensions have always been associated with Windows Media Player so when I put the CD in the D: drive and the autoplay started naturally Windows Media Player came up and started playing. Then I minimized the window and opened ECDC 6 and Classic Creator and I immediately got a message that I should close Windows Media Player because it could cause interference...so I did. Then I changed all my file type extensions to Roxio Audio Central to see if that might make a difference. Anyway, when I opened Creator Classic I went to my music files and loaded 8 songs and hit burn and I got the same message as before.........that I didn't have a Default Recorder.

-I think this whole thing revolves around the little Default Recorder: None

-To me it's like when you install Firefox as an alternative Browser and it asks you if you want to make Firefox your Default Browser because your system detects your current Default Browser is Internet Explorer. The same thing has happened when I've installed a new Mail Client or Music Player. The problem is that I don't know how to set-up a Default Recorder so where it says NONE there is something in place.

I did a Google search this morning using the words " Default Recorder " and at the top of the list was this URL http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=723 which I thought was very interesting because this person had the same problem I have.

I do appreciate everyone's help...don't get me wrong...but is there no one here on the boards or at Roxio Technical support that can answer this question? I have to believe that there is a solution but I'm not going to pay $35 to " maybe...get an answer from a technical person ".

I like Roxio and would like to continue to use it but it is looking dim!

I guess my next step is to try some of my friends on other boards that I belong to (Vr.Dr. & Worldstart)

I do appreciate everyone who has tried to help with this apparently unsolveable problem!

I did a Google search this morning using the words " Default Recorder " and at the top of the list was this URL http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=723 which I thought was very interesting because this person had the same problem I have.

I do appreciate everyone's help...don't get me wrong...but is there no one here on the boards or at Roxio Technical support that can answer this question? I have to believe that there is a solution but I'm not going to pay $35 to " maybe...get an answer from a technical person ".

I like Roxio and would like to continue to use it but it is looking dim!

I guess my next step is to try some of my friends on other boards that I belong to (Vr.Dr. & Worldstart)

I do appreciate everyone who has tried to help with this apparently unsolveable problem!

I would not give up. Give Tech Support a call. They will discuss your problem and decide if you should be charged before you would have to plunk your money down. You will never be charged without your consent.

In most cases like this, they do not charge.

Did you use roxizap? I'd suggest roxizapping, which would get BOTH Versions out of there. Then, reinstall ONE of them (ONLY one).

I checked with one of the other Digital Gurus, who said he had both 5 and 6 installed at the same time but had to do some creative installations to accomplish it. It required creating seperate folders and doing custom installs because 5 and 6 installed to the same folders. In the end he decided the only thing worthwhile in 6 was Audio Central so 6 was uninstalled.

BTW - using custom installs like that would make it hard to roxizap it afterward, and generally impede removal unless you know what you are doing (as making such custom installs would require).

Lynn

Dear Friends,

I finally solved this on my own late last night so this will be my final post for this thread. I did want to tell you ' how ' I did it and to once again thank each and every one of you for all your help.

-I did a system restore as far back as I could which was 5/10 and ECDC 6 was already installed.

-Next I did a re-install over the already installed ECDC 6 and my choices were Custom, Repair, or Remove and I choose Repair. Everything went fine and when I opened ECDC 6 and looked down at the bottom ECDC 6 recognized my Default Recorder...it was there...success at last. I still wanted to do a test so I put in a blank CD-R and loaded 10 songs...hit burn...and everything went fine. No problems!

-I then wanted to take it one step further by going to www.roxio.com to install ALL the updates for ECDC 6 Platinum and hence...there is where the problem was all along...in the updates...because after I installed all the updates and rebooted and opened Creator Classic at the bottom by Default Recorder it said none. So I got curious and went back and did another system restore and re-install then my plan was to add one update at a time to see which one was causing the problem. I didn't have to go very far...the first one which says it is required (engine) did it.

-So as of this date my ECDC 6 works just fine...albeit no updates. Maybe this post might help someone else! :)

Archived