• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cant Burn A Dvd For Some Reason

Fender80

Question

Im using MyDvDExpress and when i burn the movie files (its 6 movie files only taking up 3.8 gigs out of the 4.7 and all are wmv in hopes that they will play in a dvd player)

i select DvD without menu and then click burn, i leave all the settings as default.

It encodes the entire project and then gives me this every time

burnerror.png

in the end i end up with a shiney 1$ coaster, ive tried everything this is the 3rd time ive wasted a disc can somebody please enlighten me a little as to how and get it to work.

this was posted in the details box:

Failed to start the image writing operation Error while  Burning Image

80004003 Error while  Aborting

Edited by Fender80

Im using MyDvDExpress and when i burn the movie files (its 6 movie files only taking up 3.8 gigs out of the 4.7 and all are wmv in hopes that they will play in a dvd player)

i select DvD without menu and then click burn, i leave all the settings as default.

It encodes the entire project and then gives me this every time

burnerror.png

in the end i end up with a shiney 1$ coaster, ive tried everything this is the 3rd time ive wasted a disc can somebody please enlighten me a little as to how and get it to work.

this was posted in the details box:

Failed to start the image writing operation Error while  Burning Image

80004003 Error while  Aborting

Please read this, which also discusses why size of your video files is not relevant, but rather total time of those videos. Also, check out this thread.

Also, consider buying some dvd-rws to prevent coasters.

Edited by Syrallas

Each video is only 23 mins long so its like 2 hours in total.. and im using fit to disc so it should be ok right?

Since a standard 4.7GB DVD will only old 60 minutes of video at best quality, you are pushing it trying to squeeze twice the amount on the DVD. Fit-to-disc does a terrible job of "fitting" with very poor quality.

You should be using myDVD, and burn to an iso image file and then use Video Copy and Convert to transcode the iso file to a DVD.

Personally I would spkit the 6 videos over 2 DVDs :rolleyes:

I did look over them but im not really savvy in the burning area.... so im not really able to make much sense out of the stuff that is there since its pretty techy.

as far as splitting 6 vids over 2 DvDs isnt really the best option cause this is just 6 out of 51 episodes of this particular show that i want to burn.

as far as using myDVD, to burn to an iso image file and then use Video Copy and Convert to transcode the iso file to a DVD could you break that down a little bit for me so i can try this? And is it even possible using MyDvDExpress? stupid cheap version i wish i had the full one could do so much more with the menu options.

i would buy some RW's but im actually on a pretty fixed budget right now, and the closest place to even buy discs is like 30~40 mins away.... so im trying to do what i can with what i have.

tho in the future i will do it that way for sure.

Edited by Fender80

still havent managed to get a working DvD yet.... im not wanting to try the last idea that was given to me till i know more about it to prevent more coasters....

May I suggest that if you don't try some of the suggestions made by those who know more that you . . .

[1] you're never going to get to know more about it

[2] you wasted your time coming here

[3] you wasted the time of the volunteers who are trying to help you.

i did try it... but i made coasters out of my DvDs cause im not understanding everything about it yet. The last idea that was Posted is the only one i havent tried and its only because i have no idea what he was talking about and cant figure it out.

Why assume i havent?.... aside from the fact that im not rich and im trying not to waste more DvD discs

as a side note trying what big dave suggested seemed like a good bunch of things to try out except for when i uninstalled my D Drive to try and update the drivers it cant find the drive anymore and now i cant communicate with my CD/DVD drive at all.

geez this could hardly get any worse i swear lol.

**update**

well i got my disc drive back up and working but im unable to update the firmware mainly because i cant figure out what the hell type of drive it is... i think its a samsung and the model is SH-S162A, i think i need to update it to the TS02 firmware but i cant find it anywhere.

Edited by Fender80

im fairly sure i have the latest version of DirectX isnt it at 9.0c for windows XP or something? i forget where to check its version and where to update it tho. And no i have no other burning software at all.

As for RW disks next time im able to make the drive downtown i plan to get some XD

Edited by Fender80

its Roxio Easy CD and DVD and i bought it from best buy a couple of weeks ago for like 30 bucks. in retrospect shoulda bought the full version tho the cut down menu options on this kinda suck.

This one?

Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning - Windows

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099395889401

cd

yep thats the one!

Ok thanks, there are only a couple gurus with experience using the Red Box software.

One is in another time zone and he's crashed now, so give it some time for a reply.

cd

Edited by cdanteek

Hello Fender80

I spent yesterday afternoon hammering my RedBox software to try and create the error that you've reported, but haven't had any luck producing an error so far.

I gather you're wanting to burn 6 x 23 minute [2hrs 18 min] episodes of something in DVDExpress [DVD no menu] but get an image writing error ?? Your source files are .WMP files ?

Can you tell me please, what are you actually trying to do - make an image, make a folder, or burn a disc? Which box do you have checked in the 'Burn Project' dialog ? Have you checked several of them?

post-208-1242085832.jpg

There are two processes involved in making the DVD. First is setting the project up and encoding it to a disc image, and second is actually burning the image to disc. It's a good idea to try separating the processes if you're having problems.

[1] Can you please try just making an image without the burn to disc running at the same time. Does that work okay?

[2] In case excess time is a factor, can you try making the image with 5 episodes please? Did that work?

Please come back and report on progress.

[3] If you successfully made an image and have enough blank discs, try from the Home application, Copy > Burn Image to Disc. Burn it at a medium to slow speed [e.g. 4x on a 16x disc]. Did that work?

Regards,

Brendon

Im gonna try all this might take me the better part of tomorrow and ill prepare a list of whats going on. However most recently it doesnt seem to even make it past the encoding portion of the burn.

What im trying to make is of course just a DvD to play in my DvD player so i can watch these episodes on my TV. All files are WMV format, i read someplace that those would play on a DvD player so i used a converter to change em from AVI format.

btw how do i know if i have made an image? or even how do i JUST make an image? and when i do where to i find it afterwards.

thanks for all the insights wish me luck lol.

**edit**

ok i noticed that the image file box exists and ive never been checking it so this time im gonna do that and see what happens.

Edited by Fender80

Some DVD players will play WMA files that have been dumped on a data disc, just like that. Those players will often play AVI and MPG files without conversion too, but it all depends on the player. My players do, so I save all my 350 MB episodes as AVIs on data DVDs, 12 episodes per disc.

If you don't have a player that will play those video files or is 'DivX certified', then you have to go back to the one format they will all play - DVD-Video as output by MyDVD Express if you can make it work.

If you've converted all your AVIs to WMVs you haven't wasted your time. Most downloaded TV episode AVIs are encoded in DivX or XviD, and both those codecs are disabled by Easy CD and DVD Burning. You wouldn't have even got off first base with them. At least if they're now standard WMVs this software should accept them - I think.

Okay, you make an image file by checking the "Save disc image file" box and unchecking the "Burn to disc" one.

Good luck, and I'm waiting to see how you get on.

well last night before i went to bed i set it up to try and make just an image and it just stopped at 97%. Its done this on my last 4 attempts i don't understand why. I cut it down from 6 episodes to 4. I might just try burning these as data disks per your suggestion just to see if it works.

it started right after i updated my firmware to the TS03 version for my burner.

Edited by Fender80