• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Stealth Installation of Unwanted Programmes

andrewlmacaulay

Question

I had a discussion about this some time ago - I don't want Yet Another Backup Programme hogging resources on my machine (2 if you count the 'optional' Roxio Backup) and I certainly don't want Yet Another DVD Player when I have selected, paid for and use another (WinDVD).... especially as Sonic Player seems to "take over" the connection with Windows Media Player and, even if you change priorities, still is the one being used!

This discussion led on to the method I now use to install - I stop BackupMyPC and Sonic Player being installed, as instructed by Sonic/Roxio support, by copying the install CD and simply deleting the directories that hold Sonic Player and BackupMyPC.... I double checked with them to make sure that this would not cause problems, and was assured this was the case (so, why do they force them to be installed anyway)...

As there are loads of problems with 8.05 updates, including it breaking (in every configuration I have tested it, including NEW BUILD machines) MyDVD, it is obvious that the installation and upgrade software is frankly appauling for this suite!

I have already complained about this "stealth installation" of software that does things to my machine that I don't want and have no control over (.... this actually seems pretty close to definition of a virus, doesn't it), but Sonic/Roxio seem to want to simply stuff software on our machines without allowing the owners of the machine to control what is installed. It would not be "so" bad if you could uninstall these modules, but the way they are installed does not even show them as options for uninstalling!

So, come on Sonic/Roxio - get the installer sorted and get your updates tested properly so that installation does not break apps that you ship - let alone apps you ship breaking other apps!!

We pay enough for this software - especially as you can construct something that is as capable and certainly often more reliable from shareware, freeware and open source products! Get your act together and make sure that

(1) users have FULL control over what is and is not installed on their machine

(2) users can deinstall any modules - or be told why there is a [real] dependency that does not allow it

(3) users can remove upgrades - or be told that this is clearly not going to be possible when the start the process!!!!!

1 answer to this question

I had a discussion about this some time ago - I don't want Yet Another Backup Programme hogging resources on my machine (2 if you count the 'optional' Roxio Backup) and I certainly don't want Yet Another DVD Player when I have selected, paid for and use another (WinDVD).... especially as Sonic Player seems to "take over" the connection with Windows Media Player and, even if you change priorities, still is the one being used!

This discussion led on to the method I now use to install - I stop BackupMyPC and Sonic Player being installed, as instructed by Sonic/Roxio support, by copying the install CD and simply deleting the directories that hold Sonic Player and BackupMyPC.... I double checked with them to make sure that this would not cause problems, and was assured this was the case (so, why do they force them to be installed anyway)...

As there are loads of problems with 8.05 updates, including it breaking (in every configuration I have tested it, including NEW BUILD machines) MyDVD, it is obvious that the installation and upgrade software is frankly appauling for this suite!

I have already complained about this "stealth installation" of software that does things to my machine that I don't want and have no control over (.... this actually seems pretty close to definition of a virus, doesn't it), but Sonic/Roxio seem to want to simply stuff software on our machines without allowing the owners of the machine to control what is installed. It would not be "so" bad if you could uninstall these modules, but the way they are installed does not even show them as options for uninstalling!

So, come on Sonic/Roxio - get the installer sorted and get your updates tested properly so that installation does not break apps that you ship - let alone apps you ship breaking other apps!!

We pay enough for this software - especially as you can construct something that is as capable and certainly often more reliable from shareware, freeware and open source products! Get your act together and make sure that

(1) users have FULL control over what is and is not installed on their machine

(2) users can deinstall any modules - or be told why there is a [real] dependency that does not allow it

(3) users can remove upgrades - or be told that this is clearly not going to be possible when the start the process!!!!!

Hello,

Even if i agree with some of what you say here... and i do...

there is one issue that you have missed the boat on here...

This is not a technical support site for Roxio... this is a user site, roxio don't even look at stuff here (except maybe patrick) and he dose it only in his free time...

this site is funded by Roxio, but not manned by them.... pointless bagging them on here.

If you want to get user help with a issue then post the issue and lets all here try to help you, if not don't bother posting you frustrations here... sent them via the contact tab to the right of these posts .

sorry to be hard on this but it only ends up annoying people here, and i can asure you we have all been annoyed with something to do with software at one time or another...

and i can fully understand your frustrations...

Archived