• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC8 - Problem Burning Dual Layer Disks

troykeith

Question

Hello.. I recently upgraded to EMC8 for the dual layer support, but can't seem to create a disk that will work. I have about 140 minutes of video/audio that comes out to about 7GB uncompressed. I can get "OK" quality on a 4.7 disk, but really want to have a high quality, uncompressed version of this project.

Using an HP P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM w/ a Raedon 256 video card.. downloaded the firmware update for my DVD drive as well just to make sure.

EMC8 goes through the motions, previews fine, takes about 2 hrs. to burn and then nothing.. when I try to look at the disk with windows explorer, it says "drive not accessible". It doesn't play in other machines or on 3 different (newer) dvd players I've tried.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

8 answers to this question

Hello.. I recently upgraded to EMC8 for the dual layer support, but can't seem to create a disk that will work. I have about 140 minutes of video/audio that comes out to about 7GB uncompressed. I can get "OK" quality on a 4.7 disk, but really want to have a high quality, uncompressed version of this project.

Using an HP P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM w/ a Raedon 256 video card.. downloaded the firmware update for my DVD drive as well just to make sure.

EMC8 goes through the motions, previews fine, takes about 2 hrs. to burn and then nothing.. when I try to look at the disk with windows explorer, it says "drive not accessible". It doesn't play in other machines or on 3 different (newer) dvd players I've tried.

Troy

Which one of the 16 programs are you using?

Do you actually have a DL burner?

Does any burning take place – look at the disc.

The "drive not accessible" may be an indication of a problem with the drive. How does it behave with other discs?

Troy

We nee a bit more information as James has suggested. Also, if you have 140 min of video at 7GB then that is higly compressed video.

Which one of the 16 programs are you using?

Do you actually have a DL burner?

Does any burning take place – look at the disc.

The "drive not accessible" may be an indication of a problem with the drive. How does it behave with other discs?

Thank you for the response.. I'm using Roxio EMC 8 to build the project and it burns with mydvd8. I verified with HP that the drive is capable of dl burning.

I can't tell if any actual burning takes place because the disk can't be viewed afterwards - I've tried windows explorer, 2 other computers and several dvd machines and can't open the disk at all to see if anything is on there.. when burning, the drive appears to be going through the motions and sounds as if it's writing for a couple of hours.

The drive burns and plays 4.7 disks fine.. I can burn the same movie I'm attempting to make on a dl to a 4.7 disk and it works fine.

I'm testing a dl data disk right now after talking with HP support - they said there may be an issue burning movies with this drive and suggested I try to make a data disk instead but I'm not sure why there would be a difference between the two.

You said "I'm testing a dl data disk right now after talking with HP support - they said there may be an issue burning movies with this drive and suggested I try to make a data disk instead but I'm not sure why there would be a difference between the two."

I guess that I would strongly suggest to them that they sold you a drive that does not perform as described and that they should replace it with one that does work.

Thank you for the response.. I'm using Roxio EMC 8 to build the project and it burns with mydvd8. I verified with HP that the drive is capable of dl burning.

I can't tell if any actual burning takes place because the disk can't be viewed afterwards - I've tried windows explorer, 2 other computers and several dvd machines and can't open the disk at all to see if anything is on there.. when burning, the drive appears to be going through the motions and sounds as if it's writing for a couple of hours.

The drive burns and plays 4.7 disks fine.. I can burn the same movie I'm attempting to make on a dl to a 4.7 disk and it works fine.

I'm testing a dl data disk right now after talking with HP support - they said there may be an issue burning movies with this drive and suggested I try to make a data disk instead but I'm not sure why there would be a difference between the two.

Quick glance at HP's site indicates their newer DL drives can use both +R DL & -R DL so whatever media you have should not be an issue.

Further testing, open Classic and under the menu Tools – Disc and Device Utility. What does it say about that drive. Also put in a blank DL disc to make sure it is recognized.

Then do a Data Project. We won't actually waste a disc on this but will go through the motions. Select a DVD 8.5GB for Disc Size and stuff 5+gb of files into the project pane.

Click Burn but set Record Options to Test Only.

post-39-1147558797.jpg

Thanks for the input.. I actually got fed up dealing with HP and bought a new sony dvd burner which miraculously works - at least now I can successfully burn the DL dvd and view it on the computer, but now it doesn't play on either of our newer dvd players. They both play regular +R dvd's and can both view the 4.7 version of the same file I'm working on.

Do you think this could now be a software issue? I've made everything in EMC8 and don't really want to re-create the project, but I was going to try burning something else with a different program and see if that works. Kind of an expensive way to keep testing this, so if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

To answer your previous questions, HP did verify that the old drive should do DL disks.. they were recognized as 8.5 by the computer and I was able to go through the motions of creating a data disk but could not view it on the computer or dvd player. I need a new cable but will eventually hook the HP drive back up and run it along with the new Sony - except for this DL issue it works fine.

Quick glance at HP's site indicates their newer DL drives can use both +R DL & -R DL so whatever media you have should not be an issue.

Further testing, open Classic and under the menu Tools – Disc and Device Utility. What does it say about that drive. Also put in a blank DL disc to make sure it is recognized.

Then do a Data Project. We won't actually waste a disc on this but will go through the motions. Select a DVD 8.5GB for Disc Size and stuff 5+gb of files into the project pane.

Click Burn but set Record Options to Test Only.

at least now I can successfully burn the DL dvd and view it on the computer,
If the disc plays fine on the computer, the disc was burned correctly. Most likely an issue with the players recognizing the disc. If possible, try the disc in a third player.

Archived