• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

sharon wilson

Artitist and title doesn't display in player after burning

Question

I have an LG 4163B burner which is cd text supported and a creator classic 7.5 version program for ripping. I don't have a problem burning a cd but what i do have is a problem of getting the the artist and the title of the track over to the cd viewing window after burning it, where it tells you what song is playing. How is this done. I've tryed numerous ways of doing this without any success in any of my attempts. Can anyone out there tell me how I overcome this problem, it doesn't seem to matter if it is an MP3 or wave file, it simply doesn't happen. I use winamp classic player to play music at the present time and it displays all the information when I insert my burnt cd's from the past into the computer. This program I'm now using is new to me, so i know there is some way to do this but I can't seem to find it . I guess I need someone with knowledge of how this program works from the inside out as I don't have a clue so far. I will try to find my way back to this discussion board to learn the answer. Thank you Joe

Edited by sharon wilson

19 answers to this question

These are public Forums, searched by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes. If it's not already too late, I'd suggest you go back and edit out the email address.

Lynn

Ok Lynn thank you for your suggestion on e-mail address, I thought you were just going to answer my question as I needed answer as sonn as possible but no problem. The situation has been taken care of. Thanks again

Hi Sharon. If you burned them as WAV files and if you copied them to a particular folder on your computer, you can go to that folder and give them a proper names. BTW, wav files will not play on a set top audio player so if that's where you are going then you need to have them MP3 or CDA files. And make sure when you do burn any audio discs that are CDA files, make sure you close or "Finalize" the burn or they won't play in the player either.

Where are the original audio files coming from ? If you are copying another audio disc and go through the "Convert" option, there is a place where you can name the artist and album title but they will still come out track1.xxx, track2.xxx etc. However on the screen in a viewer or in WMP the artists name will appear.

Frank...

Hi Sharon. If you burned them as WAV files and if you copied them to a particular folder on your computer, you can go to that folder and give them a proper names. BTW, wav files will not play on a set top audio player so if that's where you are going then you need to have them MP3 or CDA files. And make sure when you do burn any audio discs that are CDA files, make sure you close or "Finalize" the burn or they won't play in the player either.

Where are the original audio files coming from ? If you are copying another audio disc and go through the "Convert" option, there is a place where you can name the artist and album title but they will still come out track1.xxx, track2.xxx etc. However on the screen in a viewer or in WMP the artists name will appear.

Frank...

Hi Frank, thank you for your informative reply.

I always burn in the MP3 format , but because of the fact that this program (7.5) is new to me I thought maybe the songs should be tryed in wav form to see if that was why the artist and titles would transfer over along with music. That oviously didn't work either. I have a converter for wave and CDA files to convert to MP3 when I download a song. I also have a program for doing tag's 1&2 in process the music into MP3's. It's a program which is part of my Audigy 2 sound card called (Creative Media Source). As for (finalizing) my old program did this automatically after I finished the session. Do I have to initiate a command to close the session for this new program or does it do it automatically? No, I'm not copying off another CD to the computer, as I know I would have to type the information in manually.

My main problem now is. how do I get the names of the artists and titles information over to the burnt CD as this new Creator classic 7.5 doesn't seem to recognize this info on the cd.

Well Sharon, as far as I know when you burn either WAV or MP3 files from a separate source using EMC, they always seem to come out with a track name (track1.mp3, track2.mp3 etc.). I do not know of a way to get the session to automatically pass on the name of the song and/or Title. I have always done it manually after copying all of the files to a folder on my computer, where I manually rename each file and then burn that list of files to disc. When I do that and bring up the burned CD in WMP, they always have the particular name I gave them.

I have expiermented with EMC's "Copy Tracks From Audio CD" and changed all of the options to "Artist & Title" and they still always come out with a Track name. If there are any other users on the forum that knows how to accomplish what Sharon is trying to do "Automatically" rather than manually as I do please post a reply.

Frank....

Frank...

Some info on CDA files..

.CDA Files

.CDA files are not, strictly speaking, files at all. Taken more accurately they resemble Microsoft's shortcut files in that they point to information rather than containing it themselves. In the case of a shortcut, this means a pointer to a file somewhere on your computer, a .CDA file serves the same purpose for an audio CD and simply points to the track and sector on a disc where a song begins.

When you browse an audio CD using Windows, you'll notice that it appears to contain a directory of .CDA files and double-clicking on any given file will play the relevant track. Copy the file to your hard disc and then remove the CD, however, and it's a different story. At best, the player will report that the relevant CD is not present; at worst it will play from the same point on whatever CD happens to be in the drive at the time.

Well Sharon, as far as I know when you burn either WAV or MP3 files from a separate source using EMC, they always seem to come out with a track name (track1.mp3, track2.mp3 etc.). I do not know of a way to get the session to automatically pass on the name of the song and/or Title. I have always done it manually after copying all of the files to a folder on my computer, where I manually rename each file and then burn that list of files to disc. When I do that and bring up the burned CD in WMP, they always have the particular name I gave them.

I have expiermented with EMC's "Copy Tracks From Audio CD" and changed all of the options to "Artist & Title" and they still always come out with a Track name. If there are any other users on the forum that knows how to accomplish what Sharon is trying to do "Automatically" rather than manually as I do please post a reply.

Frank....

Now we are zeroing in on the problem lol, we're on a roll, read on:

I understand exactly what you are saying Frank for sure and you're right. Although I was just asking you about whether this program did or did not close automatically. I take it you have to close the session manually then. In responding to your statement about artist and title these songs ALREADY have the artist and title in them BEFORE I bring them into the where I organize the songs to burn. After the burning process and the closing of the session I take the cd OUT of the burner and put it back IN to see if it plays. This is where I noticed that the artists and titles are not displayed although all of the songs are in order and playing correctly.

O.K. Sharon. I think there might be one other task you should do before burning your production. In "Creator Classic", after you drag all of the audio files doen to the lower screen for burning, clcik on the 1st Icon to the left of the RED burn Icon that says "View & Edit Your Project Settings". And make sure everything is correct there and make sure there is a check mark in the small box way at the bottom of the screen that says " Automatically Save Artist/Title/Track names after recording....etc" Then do your burn and see if that helps. BTW, when you burn make sure that is a check mark in the box that indicated that the disk will be closed.

Walt is correct in his information about CDA files. Many people think that if they copy a CDA file

(i.e. track1.cda) to another folder on their computer from a CDA disc, that they can play the file from there. However, when they try WMP will not find it.

Hope that helps

Frank.....

Now we are zeroing in on the problem lol, we're on a roll, read on:

I understand exactly what you are saying Frank for sure and you're right. Although I was just asking you about whether this program did or did not close automatically. I take it you have to close the session manually then. In responding to your statement about artist and title these songs ALREADY have the artist and title in them BEFORE I bring them into the where I organize the songs to burn. After the burning process and the closing of the session I take the cd OUT of the burner and put it back IN to see if it plays. This is where I noticed that the artists and titles are not displayed although all of the songs are in order and playing correctly.

Hmm... zeroing in eh? I could use a little clarification to be sure that we're certain of what you're doing.

First, are you making an Audio CD? Since we got to talking about .CDA "files" then I suspect so, but I'd like to be certain since there is also talk of .MP3 files. So, when you look at your CD in Windows Explorer, do you see .CDA "files" (track placeholders) or .WAV / .MP3 files?

Now, about CD-Text. Windows Media player does not support/display CD-Text. So, even if you're making an Audio CD with CD-Text on it, WMP won't display it. "So," you may be asking, "why does it display title and artist information when I play my store bought CD?" Good question. That's because it's getting that information from the Internet. It's going out and, based on track information on the CD (number and length of tracks) it calculates a unique ID for the disc. It then goes out to the internet where there are databases of information on commercial CDs and if it finds a match for that ID, it grabs the info and displays that. It's not reading the information off the CD. Now, if you make a custom CD of tracks, it still calculates a unique ID, but since this is a unique CD, there's no match for it in any of the databases. No match, no data, no display.

Try using the HACP free player to see if there really is CD-Text on your discs.

Hope that helps!

Edited by d_deweywright

Some info on CDA files..

.CDA Files

.CDA files are not, strictly speaking, files at all. Taken more accurately they resemble Microsoft's shortcut files in that they point to information rather than containing it themselves. In the case of a shortcut, this means a pointer to a file somewhere on your computer, a .CDA file serves the same purpose for an audio CD and simply points to the track and sector on a disc where a song begins.

When you browse an audio CD using Windows, you'll notice that it appears to contain a directory of .CDA files and double-clicking on any given file will play the relevant track. Copy the file to your hard disc and then remove the CD, however, and it's a different story. At best, the player will report that the relevant CD is not present; at worst it will play from the same point on whatever CD happens to be in the drive at the time.

That must be from some update or other, but that DOES finally explain it.

Originally my Win98 SE could copy .cda files and they ended up as music. Then at some point, it couldn't even "open" a CD in Windows Explorer. Since I got WinPlayer 6.4 back as my default player, it'll "open" it again, but it still can't copy it, not really.

Apparently it is an "improvement", which would explain why it USED TO BE possible.

Lynn

Dave is correct that WMP does not support CD-text if you are burning a "CDA" audio disc. But if it's a WAV or MP3 file, WMP will display a proper text name for the files. By supporting "CD-text" I assume you mean that when the file is brought up in Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer, that the audio title will be text other than just a track name. I have many wav and MP3 audio files that when viewed and played in WMP, they have the actual name of the file and the artist's name shown. I hope I'm thinking correctly on this Dave. If not I apologize.

And could you answer Dave's question regarding what the file are on your original CD (wav or MP3 or CDA) ? That might help with a solution to your problem.

Frank....

Dave is correct that WMP does not support CD-text if you are burning a "CDA" audio disc. But if it's a WAV or MP3 file, WMP will display a proper text name for the files. By supporting "CD-text" I assume you mean that when the file is brought up in Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer, that the audio title will be text other than just a track name. I have many wav and MP3 audio files that when viewed and played in WMP, they have the actual name of the file and the artist's name shown. I hope I'm thinking correctly on this Dave. If not I apologize.

And could you answer Dave's question regarding what the file are on your original CD (wav or MP3 or CDA) ? That might help with a solution to your problem.

Frank....

Actually, "supporting CD-Text" is an option of the drive itself that says is supports writing and reading CD-Text on an Audio CD. That would be regardless of the original source files, they could be .MP3, .WAV, .WMA or whatever, in the end, they'd be written as CD Tracks with CD-Text associated with them.

As for Windows Media Player displaying the names/artists of .WAV or .MP3 files, that's simply a matter of it being able to read either the file name or the Tag data, neither of which exist on an Audio CD. (Well, I suppose CD-Text could be considered a form of tag data, but it takes a different method to read it.) In this case, WMP simply doesn't include the software support to ask the drive for the CD-Text information.

But, what I'm trying to have verified is that the final written CD is an actual Audio CD, not a Data CD with .MP3 or .WAV files on it.

Actually, "supporting CD-Text" is an option of the drive itself that says is supports writing and reading CD-Text on an Audio CD. That would be regardless of the original source files, they could be .MP3, .WAV, .WMA or whatever, in the end, they'd be written as CD Tracks with CD-Text associated with them.

As for Windows Media Player displaying the names/artists of .WAV or .MP3 files, that's simply a matter of it being able to read either the file name or the Tag data, neither of which exist on an Audio CD. (Well, I suppose CD-Text could be considered a form of tag data, but it takes a different method to read it.) In this case, WMP simply doesn't include the software support to ask the drive for the CD-Text information.

But, what I'm trying to have verified is that the final written CD is an actual Audio CD, not a Data CD with .MP3 or .WAV files on it.

Hi Dave, Frank

To answer your question Dave, the final written CD IS on an actual Audio CD without question.

All my music is prepared: converted, ran through a wave studio to make sure all the imperfections and spikes are taken out or deleted from the track, dead space trimmed from the beginning and ends of the song and artist and title are typed in on every song as well. They are then placed in a folder in my documents until I have enough songs or music to burn a CD. These songs or music are all MP3's. None are CDA's, Wav, WMA''s etc.

With refferrence to CD-TEXT that I've heard mentioned a number of times, is that the Classic Help guide asks whether the burner is CD-Text compatible and it is. Having said that, the burner is supposed to accept all information given to it including artist and title. All this information is then transferred over to the text and labelling part of the program. And when the CD is finalized or closed it is ready for the play mode. Once it is inserted into a player theoretically, all the information burned on that CD should in fact be seen and heard.

I don't use WMP (Windows Media Player) never have, I know about it though, I use Winamp Classic as my default player and only as a player although it has many other features including burning capabilties. When I used (Creator Version 6) I never had this problem with artists and titles, that information always appeared on my player after a burning session. Creative Media 7.5 seems to be a good program but some issues need to be resolved as yet with it before I become a believer.

Well this last reply Sharon, sure cleared up a lot for me and Dave's explanation of "Supporting CD-Text" and what I was referring to were different. I do understand now what Dave was thinking as opposed to what I was referring to---Sorry if I wasn't on the right track Dave.

However, I still am wondering why if the files she is burning (MP3's we now know) are not transferring the text information over as it appears that she has the right kind of burner. I'm beginning to wonder if Ver. 7.5 is not capable of doing what she is trying to do. That's whu I mentioned on that one particular Creator Classic screen where you have a choice of retaining the artist, title, etc. information.

Frank....

Well this last reply Sharon, sure cleared up a lot for me and Dave's explanation of "Supporting CD-Text" and what I was referring to were different. I do understand now what Dave was thinking as opposed to what I was referring to---Sorry if I wasn't on the right track Dave.

However, I still am wondering why if the files she is burning (MP3's we now know) are not transferring the text information over as it appears that she has the right kind of burner. I'm beginning to wonder if Ver. 7.5 is not capable of doing what she is trying to do. That's whu I mentioned on that one particular Creator Classic screen where you have a choice of retaining the artist, title, etc. information.

Frank....

Well, 7.5 is indeed supposed to be able to write CD-Text, which is what you're after, Sharon. I don't have it installed at this time, having EMC 8 installed instead. I don't recall if there's a separate checkbox that needs to be checked to indicate writing CD-Text or not, but, you do need to check the "Write Only" checkbox, which is a weird terminology for Disc-At-Once mode. So, Sharon, if you're not doing that, make sure you do.

As for "when the CD is finalized or closed it is ready for the play mode. Once it is inserted into a player theoretically, all the information burned on that CD should in fact be seen and heard." CD-Text can only be written to the disc when you write in Disc-At-Once mode. If you're not checking the "Write Only" checkbox and writing all of your tracks in a single session, CD-Text cannot be written. Also, as for the CD-Text being seen, that only happens with players (software and hardware) that properly support CD-Text.

Hope that helps!

Edited by d_deweywright

Well, 7.5 is indeed supposed to be able to write CD-Text, which is what you're after, Sharon. I don't have it installed at this time, having EMC 8 installed instead. I don't recall if there's a separate checkbox that needs to be checked to indicate writing CD-Text or not, but, you do need to check the "Write Only" checkbox, which is a weird terminology for Disc-At-Once mode. So, Sharon, if you're not doing that, make sure you do.

As for "when the CD is finalized or closed it is ready for the play mode. Once it is inserted into a player theoretically, all the information burned on that CD should in fact be seen and heard." CD-Text can only be written to the disc when you write in Disc-At-Once mode. If you're not checking the "Write Only" checkbox and writing all of your tracks in a single session, CD-Text cannot be written. Also, as for the CD-Text being seen, that only happens with players (software and hardware) that properly support CD-Text.

Hope that helps!

Yes Dave I have checked the WRITE ONLY box and am inclined to agree to agree with what you are saying. Inccidently the text portion (artist, title etc) does transfer over to the labell maker after closing the session which is a good thing though. I know my burner is top notch and working properly so it must be the software that has some kind of a glitch in it if that is possible. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. I might just have to call the software people and explain the situation to them and see what they say about it. Thanks guys for all your efforts in trying to help me resolve this situation, I'll keep you posted on what I find out fron the support people at Creator.

Yes Dave I have checked the WRITE ONLY box and am inclined to agree to agree with what you are saying. Inccidently the text portion (artist, title etc) does transfer over to the labell maker after closing the session which is a good thing though. I know my burner is top notch and working properly so it must be the software that has some kind of a glitch in it if that is possible. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. I might just have to call the software people and explain the situation to them and see what they say about it. Thanks guys for all your efforts in trying to help me resolve this situation, I'll keep you posted on what I find out fron the support people at Creator.

Well, sounds like you've got everything checked as it should be. But, I also recall hearing others having a similar problem, and at this point, I don't recall if there was a different solution. The only other thing I can think to suggest is to actually do the burn from within Sound Editor and see if that makes any difference. Seems there was something about burning from a different application within EMC 7.5 that may have worked to get CD-Text written.

Good luck!

About the only last thing I can suggest was what I had suggested before Sharon and that is to make sure the box is checked that I referred to back in my post # 9 of this problem. A long time ago I do remember that this same problem came up and as I remember that was a box that no one had been checking. And again I don't no what hardware or which program in EMC they were using. The only thing I do know is that box is in Creator Clasic and is that Icon just to the left of the burn Icon.

Frank....

Sharon, this is a long shot because it should be selected automatically: In Creator

Classic, click on File and select Project Settings. You will see a CD Text tab. Click

on that and make sure that there is a check mark by the language you wish to use.