VideoWave 8 - picture jumps with transitions

tbernardi

Question

I just upgraded to Roxio Media Creator 8. I am noticing that when I create a VideoWave presentation with transitions, the picture jumps very slightly like a small shift motion right befote the transition and then again after the transition is complete

If I remove the transitions, the pictures are stable. It's very odd because I never noticed this with 7 or 7.5.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is very subtle, but still annoying and makes the project look unprofessional since it is not completely smooth. I did burn a DVD to see if it was only in preview, but to my surprise the DVD showed the shift of the pictures as well.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Tony

10 answers to this question

My personal feeling is that these problems are all symptoms of ver. 8 using the Video card hardware to handle transitions. I think users are getting varied issues, while others may not see any problems at all. I am tempted to upgrade video cards just to see.

I tried installing the software on other machines, but unfortunately, they all default to Render:software which isn’t a valid test.

I think my problem is related in that I am using 3D transitions like page turn transitions, etc. Although the problem I am actually seeing is one scene will actually become a bit grey about a second before and after a scene change, sometimes a blue flash is present between scenes.

The video card I have is an Asus 9520 Video Suite FX 5200. I'm running an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe system board with an AMD 2.8GHz processor and 1GB RAM at 400MHz FSB.

I just upgraded to Roxio Media Creator 8. I am noticing that when I create a VideoWave presentation with transitions, the picture jumps very slightly like a small shift motion right befote the transition and then again after the transition is complete

If I remove the transitions, the pictures are stable. It's very odd because I never noticed this with 7 or 7.5.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is very subtle, but still annoying and makes the project look unprofessional since it is not completely smooth. I did burn a DVD to see if it was only in preview, but to my surprise the DVD showed the shift of the pictures as well.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Tony

Hi, Tony. I know what you are describing because I have experienced the same thing. Just to test, try eliminating the 3D and page turn transitions and stick with the simple transitions like dissolves, pushes and slides. Sometimes that help has helped me.

The only other thing I have found to get rid of the "shift" (and still have transitions) is to switch my machine from hardware to software rendering. To do that, click on Tools\Options in Videowave. At the top of the window you will see Render Using and either a check in the hardware or software. My guess yours is check hardware. Try changing it to software and see if the shifting is eliminated. Note: In software mode, you do not have 3D or Page Turn transitions available. I suggest you try this with a back up copy of your project.

I know that is not a great deal of help, but those are the only things that worked for me. You may also want to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card and the latest directX.

Merv,

Thank you very much for your response. I did notice that the using disloves does not cause the jump. I really don't want to give up the page turn transition.

I really appreciate your post, because now this has got me thinking it may be an incompatibility with the new system I purchased (HP Media Center 2.8 Dual Core) . I never got around to using 7.5 on my new machine, so it is possible that the same situation would occur.

I will update directx, not sure what version I am running.

One question... Would the video driver affect the creation of the DVD? I wouldn't think so, but the burned DVD is causing the same i ssue.

Misery loves company at least, so thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

Tony

Hi, Tony. I know what you are describing because I have experienced the same thing. Just to test, try eliminating the 3D and page turn transitions and stick with the simple transitions like dissolves, pushes and slides. Sometimes that help has helped me.

The only other thing I have found to get rid of the "shift" (and still have transitions) is to switch my machine from hardware to software rendering. To do that, click on Tools\Options in Videowave. At the top of the window you will see Render Using and either a check in the hardware or software. My guess yours is check hardware. Try changing it to software and see if the shifting is eliminated. Note: In software mode, you do not have 3D or Page Turn transitions available. I suggest you try this with a back up copy of your project.

I know that is not a great deal of help, but those are the only things that worked for me. You may also want to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card and the latest directX.

One question... Would the video driver affect the creation of the DVD?
Yes, The 3D transitions/effects are actually rendered by the video card when set to 'hardware'. This problem was pointed out a long time ago and still has not been fixed. If you manually set Videowave/MyDVD to 'software' render, then the 3D transitions/effects should not be available.

Well,

I replaced my GeForce 6200 with a GeForce 7600 just to see if a more powerful GPU would correct the problem. Nope. Same issue with the 3D transitions jumping. Plus I got an extra gift that I wasn't expecting. The 7600 video card disabled one of my tuners in my Dual Tuner card.

Nothing like being disappointed and getting slapped in the head at the same time.

Merv,

Thank you very much for your response. I did notice that the using disloves does not cause the jump. I really don't want to give up the page turn transition.

I really appreciate your post, because now this has got me thinking it may be an incompatibility with the new system I purchased (HP Media Center 2.8 Dual Core) . I never got around to using 7.5 on my new machine, so it is possible that the same situation would occur.

I will update directx, not sure what version I am running.

One question... Would the video driver affect the creation of the DVD? I wouldn't think so, but the burned DVD is causing the same i ssue.

Misery loves company at least, so thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

Tony

Your welcome Tony. This problem probably has nothing to do with your system. As Gary mentioned in his post, this problem with EMC 8 was identified and reported long ago. I suspect many users do not notice the shift since it is very subtle, but it is there none the less. For sure, you are not alone with this problem.

I doubt you will see this problem if you install 7.5

I think my problem is related in that I am using 3D transitions like page turn transitions, etc. Although the problem I am actually seeing is one scene will actually become a bit grey about a second before and after a scene change, sometimes a blue flash is present between scenes.

The video card I have is an Asus 9520 Video Suite FX 5200. I'm running an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe system board with an AMD 2.8GHz processor and 1GB RAM at 400MHz FSB.

Gary & Merv,

Thanks for your responses. After I added Pan & Zoom to my frames, it is much less noticable. The page tuns and 3d affects are necesary for me. I need them for my "Wow" factor.

Just curious, Is everyone experiencing this on their system or only certain video cards. I know my video card in my system is low budget. Is it possible that if I upgrade the video card that the problem may vanish?

Thanks again.

Tony

p.s. I apologize if this has been covered. Didn't have a lot of luck with a search. If there are discussions on this, I would be happy if you could direct me to them.

It certainly happens for others. It was one of the first things I noticed and it's very annoying. I will try the software rendering option, that makes sense, however the loss of many of the transitions is not an attractive option. I did notice that the jumping only occurs with certain transitions and that it is less noticeable with Pan & Zoom as the picture is changing anyhow.

Either way this is entirely unacceptable and they should get it fixed immediately. A simple work-around would be to allow all the transitions to be rendered in software, no matter how slow it is when the final output is created.

Well,

I replaced my GeForce 6200 with a GeForce 7600 just to see if a more powerful GPU would correct the problem. Nope. Same issue with the 3D transitions jumping. Plus I got an extra gift that I wasn't expecting. The 7600 video card disabled one of my tuners in my Dual Tuner card.

Nothing like being disappointed and getting slapped in the head at the same time.

Sorry you spent the money on a new card only to experience the same issue. But, it does not suprise me since quite a few users have the same issue and some have much more high end cards than mine. I donlt know what the tell you about your new issue.

Archived