• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rebate problem...

dragonreese

Question

I was doing a system reinstall on my laptop (Dell Latitude D600) that came with EZ CD Creator 5.x and I thought I would come to the Roxio website to see if there were any updates for it since I just reinstalled it. Upon searching for updates I notice that the current version is now 8.x and and I see this nice message near the bottom: "As a loyal Easy CD Creator 5 customer, you qualify for a special upgrade price if you upgrade now!".

So I clicked on that link and read through the all the details with the newer version and since I have not been very happy with Nero 7 on my main system and I would get EMC 8 for half price basicly, I thought that I would go ahead and buy it for my laptop. And since I was a "loyal" previous Roxio customer I thought that it looked like a good deal. So I add the DOWNLOAD version to my cart, and along with it comes the Mail In Rebate form for the $50 off in PDF format. I check out and start the dreadfully slow 33kb/s download from Roxio/Digital River or whoever is serving the files and while I am waiting on that 4.5 hour download I thought I would fill out the MIR. However, now that I am actually able to read over the MIR, it dosen't really apply to me.

The part of the rebate that applies to customers downloading EMC 8 is quoted below. The rebate is an UPGRADE/COMPETITOR rebate and I own Nero 7 Ultra Edition which is deffinately a competitor. However the rebate states that I need my confirmation reciept with serial number from Nero 7 Ultra Edition that I supposedly purchased online by download also? Well I didn't purchase Nero online. And actually it was a gift at Christmas time. So according to the rebate form, I can't send in for the rebate of the RETAIL version of EMC 8 because I obviously purchased the download and I don't have the required UPC cutout to send in; and I also can't send in for the rebate on the DOWNLOAD version of EMC 8 because I can't show proof that I purchased a downloadable version of Nero 7 Ultra Edition.

Easy Media Creator 8 Suite download customers: Please complete and mail this form along with:

• A copy of your confirmation receipt for Easy Media Creator 8 containing your CD-Key from your downloadable product purchase dated between 3/1/06 and 12/31/08.

• A copy of your confirmation receipt for the above qualified products containing your CD-Key from your downloadable product purchase.

So what I am wondering is how am I supposed to get my rebate with a downloaded version of EMC 8 and a retail version of Nero 7 Ultra edition?

What makes me upset about this is that it not possible that I know of to view this rebate form before you actually purchase the software. You can only view the PDF after you pay for the software. That isn't right and to me it is downright shady. It seems like a tactic to make people buy the software thinking they are going to get a better price then they actually are without knowing the nature of the rebate. Especially since I thought that I would be getting this rebate because I was "a previous loyal customer".

main_offer_50r.gif

3 answers to this question

Sorry to bump this, but I just thought that I would post an update to the issue.

A few days after I posted this I managed to call Customer Service; it is really quite difficult when I work 7:30-5:00 and they are only open from 8:00-5:00, and I spoke with a gentleman who who listened to my problem and then instructed me that I could still apply for the rebate and there wouldn't be any problems.

So the next day I made a copies of my Nero 7 UE User Guide, CD1, CD2 and even a print out of the software registered to me from my "MyNero" account and mailed that in along with a copy of the invoice for EMC8 and of course the Rebate form. However, I get home tonight and check my email and what do I find? My rebate marked as invalid becuase they did not recieve the UPC code from the box that I never had. Not really surprised that it happened, I dug through the links on rebateshq.com and finally got a phone number to call. I spoke with a very nice woman who understood my problem from the tone of my voice and she marked my rebate as valid, and I can confirm that by looking at the status on rebateshq.com. So we shall see if I get my rebate in a few weeks I guess.

I felt from the start that the rebate was shady and even after I spoke to the CS representative I had my doubts and I was right. Luckily it *might* go through afterall in the end.

Now if I could only say that I was more happy with EMC8 :)

I'm sure you know that this is a users group so we cannot speak for what is acceptable for proof satisfactory to Roxio. Use the link on the left of this message to go to customer service to contact them directly. Make sure they confirm what they tell you in writing and send a copy of that in when you apply for the rebate.

By the way, I did go to look at the entire rebate form that should have been available without buying the software and I received an error for that page. You might want to mention that to them also.

I was doing a system reinstall on my laptop (Dell Latitude D600) that came with EZ CD Creator 5.x and I thought I would come to the Roxio website to see if there were any updates for it since I just reinstalled it. Upon searching for updates I notice that the current version is now 8.x and and I see this nice message near the bottom: "As a loyal Easy CD Creator 5 customer, you qualify for a special upgrade price if you upgrade now!".

So I clicked on that link and read through the all the details with the newer version and since I have not been very happy with Nero 7 on my main system and I would get EMC 8 for half price basicly, I thought that I would go ahead and buy it for my laptop. And since I was a "loyal" previous Roxio customer I thought that it looked like a good deal. So I add the DOWNLOAD version to my cart, and along with it comes the Mail In Rebate form for the $50 off in PDF format. I check out and start the dreadfully slow 33kb/s download from Roxio/Digital River or whoever is serving the files and while I am waiting on that 4.5 hour download I thought I would fill out the MIR. However, now that I am actually able to read over the MIR, it dosen't really apply to me.

The part of the rebate that applies to customers downloading EMC 8 is quoted below. The rebate is an UPGRADE/COMPETITOR rebate and I own Nero 7 Ultra Edition which is deffinately a competitor. However the rebate states that I need my confirmation reciept with serial number from Nero 7 Ultra Edition that I supposedly purchased online by download also? Well I didn't purchase Nero online. And actually it was a gift at Christmas time. So according to the rebate form, I can't send in for the rebate of the RETAIL version of EMC 8 because I obviously purchased the download and I don't have the required UPC cutout to send in; and I also can't send in for the rebate on the DOWNLOAD version of EMC 8 because I can't show proof that I purchased a downloadable version of Nero 7 Ultra Edition.

So what I am wondering is how am I supposed to get my rebate with a downloaded version of EMC 8 and a retail version of Nero 7 Ultra edition?

What makes me upset about this is that it not possible that I know of to view this rebate form before you actually purchase the software. You can only view the PDF after you pay for the software. That isn't right and to me it is downright shady. It seems like a tactic to make people buy the software thinking they are going to get a better price then they actually are without knowing the nature of the rebate. Especially since I thought that I would be getting this rebate because I was "a previous loyal customer".

main_offer_50r.gif

Archived