• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

error when copying DVD's

volt12

Question

Hi everybody! I am a newbie here and I am having a problem using the Disc Copy function - it is intermittent for me. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it reads my source disk and then I get the error message:

"Unrecovered read error - medium error." [03/11/00]

I am copying DVD's of home movies that I have made with another computer. Like I said, 4 times out of 5, it will copy the material, but every once in a while, I get the above message. I have a Gateway P4 with 512 MB of RAM and my burner is a Mad Dog Multimedia MegaStor™ External DVD Drive (MD-16X3DVD9-8XE). I keep the source disc in my Gateway drive and use Maxell DVD-R 4.7GB 16X media in the Mad Dog drive.

Can somebody please help me with this? I just want to know why I can't make copies of all of my home DVD movies to pass along to my family members.

Thank you very much!

8 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

Can you give a little more information, please?

Do you get this error message in the middle of copying the same DVD several times? ie. # 4 of 5 copies

Or do you get this error message when you try to copy one particular DVD? Are you using the same type of DVD each time (ie. off the same spindle)?

Or is something else happening?

Hi - it is with two of my DVD's that I had burned previously. The previously burned DVD's are all TDK DVD-R's 2X. All new media that I am copying to is the Maxell DVD-R 16X. I have rebooted in between these two discs, and still get the error message. Do you think there is a problem with the original disc (maybe a scratch or something)? They play fine in both my PC and stand-alone player.

Thanks for your help!

Guest mlpasley
Hi - it is with two of my DVD's that I had burned previously. The previously burned DVD's are all TDK DVD-R's 2X. All new media that I am copying to is the Maxell DVD-R 16X. I have rebooted in between these two discs, and still get the error message. Do you think there is a problem with the original disc (maybe a scratch or something)? They play fine in both my PC and stand-alone player.

Thanks for your help!

Something wrong with the original disk would be my guess. I've had them fail on me too and never been able to find a scratch on the disk.

I tend to burn an extra set of disks and never use them after I test them. Then I burn the DVD or 'image file' to an internal or external hard drive. Nothing is more frustrating than having a DVD fail and not having a backup.

The DVD you're trying to copy has an error on it...it's that simple. You don't need a scratch; it could simply be a block or two where the dye has started to go (or was originally) bad. Most players will simply play the DVD and you'd never know unless you get a bunch of them and you see the famous green blocky junk on your screen. The DVD usually keeps playing past even that stuff.

However, sometimes when you want to copy, one or two bad blocks can be overlooked, sometimes they get picked up. I have a few programs that let me copy discs and they will all pop up with near identical messages to yours when there is a problem with the original disc.

The only thing you can do is what you've already been doing...just try to copy it and if the error isn't too bad, on one or the next...or the next...try, you might 'get past' the error and be able to write a new one. Naturally at that point you want to make another copy and junk the original. Just keep trying to copy and I've found (sometimes if you're lucky) at one point it'll work. Sometimes it just never does but you gotta hope.

good luck...

Hello everybody - I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help - I really appreciate it! I searched all over the web for that error message and couldn't find any information about it anywhere!

All of my original DVD's were burned from home movies on a Sony VAIO PC three years ago. Well, as you folks probalbly know better than I do, DVD was still in its infancy back then and the VAIO I purchased came with the Sony DU-12A recorder, which can only burn to 4X max. Three years ago, 1X, 2X and 4X DVD's were in plentiful supply. I can't find them anywhere anymore (do they still make them?) so I went out and purchased an new external burner that can write to the media available today. I was trying to copy all of my original DVD's to distribute to family members, and two of them just wouldn't copy using Roxio's Disc Copy program. I guess they must have errors on it, even though they play perfectly.

Anyways, thanks for all of your help - I thought I was losing my mind! Is there any way I can copy the content on those two discs to new DVD's, or should I just resign myself to the fact that once those originals stop playing, they are gone for good?

Hello everybody - I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help - I really appreciate it! I searched all over the web for that error message and couldn't find any information about it anywhere!

All of my original DVD's were burned from home movies on a Sony VAIO PC three years ago. Well, as you folks probalbly know better than I do, DVD was still in its infancy back then and the VAIO I purchased came with the Sony DU-12A recorder, which can only burn to 4X max. Three years ago, 1X, 2X and 4X DVD's were in plentiful supply. I can't find them anywhere anymore (do they still make them?) so I went out and purchased an new external burner that can write to the media available today. I was trying to copy all of my original DVD's to distribute to family members, and two of them just wouldn't copy using Roxio's Disc Copy program. I guess they must have errors on it, even though they play perfectly.

Anyways, thanks for all of your help - I thought I was losing my mind! Is there any way I can copy the content on those two discs to new DVD's, or should I just resign myself to the fact that once those originals stop playing, they are gone for good?

I would not give up that easy! 2 other ways to copy need to be tried:

Plan A: copy the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS Folders to your HD. Use Disc Copier to copy, set to Disc image or DVD-Video Folder.

Plan B: Capture from the disc and create a new project. Actually by renaming the *.VOB files on your HD (Plan A) to *.mpg, you can skip the capture in most cases.

Guest mlpasley
Could somebody explain a little bit more to me about how to copy the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS Folders to my hard drive? Sort of confused...

Thanks!

First, most DVDs have a variable write speed ie. 1~16 so you can still use the newer DVDs in the older burner. Some burners do need updates from the manufacturer's website ( probably Sony for your VAIO) to recognize newer DVDs.

You can use Windows Explorer to copy the files off your DVD to a new folder on your computer. Just open two copies of Windows Explorer and drag the files from your DVD drive to the folder on your hard drive.

Now it's possible you'll get an error message if there is something wrong with one of the files on the DVD.

If you get an error message, see if you can copy just the .vob file to the hard drive. The .vob file is the actual video footage. Hopefully, it's one of the 'menu' files and not the .vob file that is corrupt.

Please let us know what happens.

Archived