• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc copier only writes at 1.5x

jfarrx19

Question

My new Dell has two identical NEC DVD drives, and I'm trying to use Disc Copier to copy one of my own data DVD discs. No matter how I've tried it (drive-to-drive copy, or burn from an ISO on the hard drive), the write speeds are always 1x - 1.5x, even though the blank DVD is rated at 8x and my drives are rated at 16x. The operation takes 56 minutes to complete either way.

The PC is a 2.8GHz dual-core, 1GB RAM, Windows XP Media Center Edition. I gotta believe that's more than enough horsepower to handle something like this.

Any thoughts?

9 answers to this question

Crisis solved! Turns out that the system BIOS wasn't set to AUTO for the secondary drive on the PATA controller. I set it to AUTO and XP found the drive again, but it set it to PIO mode. I found a registry hack that tells the controllers to re-evaluate the drives and their capabilities. After that, they were reset to Ultra DMA Mode 2, and my burning software ran a simulated burn of a full DVD in six minutes.

Thanks for your help, gang!

Crisis solved! Turns out that the system BIOS wasn't set to AUTO for the secondary drive on the PATA controller. I set it to AUTO and XP found the drive again, but it set it to PIO mode. I found a registry hack that tells the controllers to re-evaluate the drives and their capabilities. After that, they were reset to Ultra DMA Mode 2, and my burning software ran a simulated burn of a full DVD in six minutes.

Thanks for your help, gang!

High fives to you!! You are welcome, and I am glad that you are up and running properly.

My new Dell has two identical NEC DVD drives, and I'm trying to use Disc Copier to copy one of my own data DVD discs. No matter how I've tried it (drive-to-drive copy, or burn from an ISO on the hard drive), the write speeds are always 1x - 1.5x, even though the blank DVD is rated at 8x and my drives are rated at 16x. The operation takes 56 minutes to complete either way.

The PC is a 2.8GHz dual-core, 1GB RAM, Windows XP Media Center Edition. I gotta believe that's more than enough horsepower to handle something like this.

Any thoughts?

Do you have the latest drivers and/or firmware for your burners? EMC 8 gets the "burning" info from the burners themselves

Any thoughts?

Like myguggi says, try a firmware update. Also check the transfer mode:

• Start/Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" in the run box (no quotes), then return
  • Open IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
  • Right click on the Primary or Secondary channel, select "Properties"
  • Under the "Advanced" tab, make sure the transfer mode is "DMA if available" for all devices

Lance

Like myguggi says, try a firmware update. Also check the transfer mode:
  • Start/Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" in the run box (no quotes), then return
  • Open IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
  • Right click on the Primary or Secondary channel, select "Properties"
  • Under the "Advanced" tab, make sure the transfer mode is "DMA if available" for all devices

Lance

Thanks for the replies. So far I haven't found any firmware updates for my drives, and I checked my controller settings as you mentioned here. They're already set to "DMA If Available" and they are both set for "Ultra DMA Mode 5".

Thanks for the replies. So far I haven't found any firmware updates for my drives, and I checked my controller settings as you mentioned here. They're already set to "DMA If Available" and they are both set for "Ultra DMA Mode 5".

It is also possible that the data won't feed any faster, either because of the type of connection or because of something to do with the data. Copying large .jpgs would go light-years faster than copying a large quantity of small files, which requires the program to do a lot of fiddly things like creating and naming folders on the destination disc.

It doesn't matter how fast a car can go, or how high the speed limit, if the car has to pick its way thru a narrow street with potholes. Likewise, traffic can impede the speed of the car, altho I assume you would've turned off unneded programs during the burn, such as screen saver, anti-virus, etc - and gotten off the internet if you have 24/7, and defragged the Hard Drive, etc - so you have maximum resources available for burning.

A sports car can go faster than 30mph, but if it tries to do 80mph downtown at rush hour, a traffic ticket is the least that could happen.

Lynn

Those are your two hard drives, not your burners. Check the secondary controller.

Bruce is correct. Make sure you check not only your "primary" controller settings but also your "secondary" settings as well. Also, check your BIOS and make sure that the settings for each of your drives is set to DMA and not PI0 mode. Also make sure you are not being confused by what the Media shows as the speed (4x, 8x, 16x etc) and what the actual speed is as far as how many bits/sec that it is running at when you burn a disc. I have NEVER had a burn that in the "X" speed window that shows it as fast as the media states it can burn at. Most of the time I can only get about 75% of what that rate shows. And both my burners all have the latest firmware updates and are set for DMA modes, not PI0 mode.

There is only one thing that possible you can do to get a higher burn rate and that is to place your burners on the "Primary" and Primary Slave slots on your mother board and your hard drives on the secondary slots. On some of the mother boards I have used in the past, that can make a difference. Just make sure you have the pinouts set right on the drive themselves.

One last comment: When you are running IDE type drives and you are set for DMA or Ultra DMA mode you need to use an 80 conductor IDE ribbon cable and not the 40 pin ribbon cable. Most computers, if you check the IDE connector cables from the mother board to the drives, will use 40 pin conductor ribbon cables. Even some mother boards that you purchase for building a computer of your own will only come with the 40 pin ribbon cables for the IDE drives. You can tell the difference when looking at each type of cable. The 80 conductor one has really fine cabling wires compared to the 40 conductor type.

BTW, I am not referring to a computer that has "SERIAL ATA Connectors.

Frank....

Archived