• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Horizontal shrunken pic in VW8

k6ugs

Question

Ran into another problem for which the help file is no help. Ergo, here it goes.

I imported a DVD of a home movie into VW8 for editing. To import, I used the Import Manager. File imported ok, even the sound imported ok. When I look at the pictures in Storyview form, they are horizontally shrunken with black margin on the left and right. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing that, is there a setting that will adjust this to a full panel view?

Thanks,

Vern

2 answers to this question

We need more information. Was the original project windescreen? What are the Videowave project settings - 4:3 or 16:9? Make sure they match the file.

There have been instances where Media Import lost the 16:9 setting when capturing from firewire to MPEG 2 file. I haven't check this out when importing 16:9 from a disc.

Ran into another problem for which the help file is no help. Ergo, here it goes.

I imported a DVD of a home movie into VW8 for editing. To import, I used the Import Manager. File imported ok, even the sound imported ok. When I look at the pictures in Storyview form, they are horizontally shrunken with black margin on the left and right. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing that, is there a setting that will adjust this to a full panel view?

Thanks,

Vern

I came across same problem in a different situation, but my narrowing down problem may help in your situation. I, too, had letterbox box effect, but with black margins on left and right instead of on top and bottom. However, that was using NeroVision Express, which came with my Sony DRU-820A DVD burner. It was a TiVo recording I had transferred to my computer, to burn to DVD. I have 2 TiVo units - one my own, and one a beta I am testing for TiVo. While checking out and eliminating one variable at a time, I finally determined that when I recorded the same TV program on both TV units, and transferred the files to my computer to burn, the file from the beta TiVo caused the horizontal letterbox effect, while the file from my own TiVo burned successfully in 4:3 aspect. Note that all the settings for aspect, quality, etc. were the same on both TiVo units. [i noticed the 2 file sizes were different; I think the newer (beta) TiVo unit compresses files more, because more recording hours are able to be squeezed onto the same size (80GB) hard drive.) Therefore, I was able to conclude that for some reason it was the beta TiVo unit causing the effect, and NOT the DVD burning software program, which was Nero in my case. Another interesting thing I noticed is that if I took the file from the beta TiVo, and used Roxio EMC8 instead of Nero to burn it, it came out in correct 4:3 aspect, rather than having the horizontal letterbox effect. EMC8 must have some built-in parameter, filter, algorithm, or whatever, to correct the letterbox problem. -Brian

Archived