LP recording, cleaning pops

honustbonus

Question

Is anyone using the LP and Tape Assistant? So few threads apply!

The manual suggests the "Clean" function (depopping, decrackling) applies to specifically chosen segments, but rather it seems to apply to the entire recording. I'd rather it be as the manual says, can anyone clarify?

Also, what is meant by "intensity"? What are we doing when we're selecting a particular percentage?

1 answer to this question

Probably because it works so well that few are having problems with it. :)

First, nothing will get completely rid of the pops and cracks of a captured LP or the hiss of a tape. First you should clean those LPs, and make sure that you have a good stylus. Goggle for cleaning methods. Some have suggested soap and water; other have suggested other things to clean. The same thing for the cassette player, make sure the heads are cleaned an degaussed.

Second, after you have captured your audio tracks, use Sound Editor to clean the tracks. It is much more flexible and functional. You will have to experiment with the various settings because it depends on your music, on the amount of click or hiss. You want to apply the least amount to just do enough cleaning to get rid of most of the problems. I haven't tried it but you may be able to clean just a section but I don't think that you will like the result. The cleaned part will be noticeably changed. You can apply an "amount" of the cleaning effect and listen to it. If it is too little or too much, you can adjust it or cancel it out without changing the audio file until you actual save it with the changes.

Is anyone using the LP and Tape Assistant? So few threads apply!

The manual suggests the "Clean" function (depopping, decrackling) applies to specifically chosen segments, but rather it seems to apply to the entire recording. I'd rather it be as the manual says, can anyone clarify?

Also, what is meant by "intensity"? What are we doing when we're selecting a particular percentage?

Archived