• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Phindog

Toast 10 Problems With Os X 10.5.7

Question

Has anyone had any problems burning a dual layer DVD using OS X 10.5.7? Since I upgraded from 10.5.6 I cannot get a burn to complete. I am doing a "VIDEO_TS Folders burn.

The error I get at the end of the burn (and before verifications starts) is "Mac OS error". The DVD will play but there is noticeable skipping between chapters.

This is with OS X 10.5.7, Toast 10.0.2 on a Mac Pro with one 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor.

10 answers to this question

I haven't tried to burn a DL disc recently. Have you tried choosing Save as Disc Image and then burning the DL disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window? What brand of media are you using?

Has anyone had any problems burning a dual layer DVD using OS X 10.5.7? Since I upgraded from 10.5.6 I cannot get a burn to complete. I am doing a "VIDEO_TS Folders burn.

The error I get at the end of the burn (and before verifications starts) is "Mac OS error". The DVD will play but there is noticeable skipping between chapters.

This is with OS X 10.5.7, Toast 10.0.2 on a Mac Pro with one 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor.

I have the same OS X 10.5.7 and Toast 10.0.2, Intel iMac, burned BD on DVD-DL last night, everything worked fine. I use strictly Taio Yuden for DVD-SL and Verbatim for DVD-DL. (This site has some good info on media: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm ). In the past few years, I had only one bad disc and no flakey ones. I had worse experience than that with pressed discs.

Edited by ComPH

I haven't tried to burn a DL disc recently. Have you tried choosing Save as Disc Image and then burning the DL disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window? What brand of media are you using?

I haven't tried that yet but will tonight.

I'm using Memorex DL media.

Thanks.

I have the same OS X 10.5.7 and Toast 10.0.2, Intel iMac, burned BD on DVD-DL last night, everything worked fine. I use strictly Taio Yuden for DVD-SL and Verbatim for DVD-DL. In the past few years, I had only one bad disc and no flakey ones. I had worse experience than that with pressed discs.

I have had media problems in the past for sure but this doesn't appear to be that. The" Mac OS error" message threw me. Since it 10.5.6 worked and 10.5.7 didn't my first thought was it was related to the OS.

Does Roxio monitor this list and if so, can they decipher the somewhat cryptic error message so I know what I'm dealing with?

Roxio people do read these discussions (their handle usually is ...atrox), but if you want to make sure, just contact their Customer Service. Then you can be sure they consider your issue. You may have other S/W or H/W interacting. That did happen to me before. Did you install anything new around the time when you've updated the OS?

Edited by ComPH

I'm using Memorex DL media.

That's the problem. Memorex DL media is very unreliable. The firmware of your drive just isn't tuned for those discs. Get some Verbatim DL discs and I bet all will be well.

You can read user reports about any of your burnable DVD media by inserting a disc and choosing Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu. There you'll find a hot link to a site where that specific media has been reported.

That's the problem. Memorex DL media is very unreliable. The firmware of your drive just isn't tuned for those discs. Get some Verbatim DL discs and I bet all will be well.

You can read user reports about any of your burnable DVD media by inserting a disc and choosing Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu. There you'll find a hot link to a site where that specific media has been reported.

Thanks. I'll give the new media a try and take a look at user reports through Toast.

Roxio people do read these discussions (their handle usually is ...atrox), but if you want to make sure, just contact their Customer Service. Then you can be sure they consider your issue. You may have other S/W or H/W interacting. That did happen to me before. Did you install anything new around the time when you've updated the OS?

No. Not anything new. Possibly a function of the drive itself, a Pioneer DVR-112D, firmware version 1.28?

No. Not anything new. Possibly a function of the drive itself, a Pioneer DVR-112D, firmware version 1.28?

Did you try to verify the disc? What was the result? Did you try the burn second time? Usually the discs aren't all bad, even though during manufacturing of DL media is lot more difficult to get good yield than SL. The cost is also more than doubled. I did have one batch of Memorex-DL, because I ran out and couldn't find anything else locally - every disc was o.k. I'll check my drive later today. Pioneer makes excellent burners.

Edited by ComPH

I just checked my recorder. It is Optiarc AD-5630A,never had a problem with it. I have last couple of the memorex discs. They read as: RITEKS04

One person commented like this:

Price: $20 Purchased from: Officeworks Date purchased: April 2009

Burnt with Pioneer DVR-112 / DVR-A12 at 8x using firmware 1.24.

Burning reliability is Mixed.

PC reliability is Mixed.

Media color is Silver.

Media text is Memorex DVD+R DL 8X 8.5GB 240min.

Media package type is Cake Box. Number of discs 10.

Media made in Taiwan.

Media UPC/EAN code is 034707058446.

Authoring/Burning comments:

Burned with Nero 9.2.6.0

Overall data is like this:

Plays on 9 DVD Players

Plays not on 4 DVD Players

Burn Reliability is Mixed

DVD Reliability is Mixed

PC Reliability is Mixed

Console Reliability is Mixed

Let us know what happens when you're able to get hold of some non Memorex media, we're not tracking any issues related specifically to 10.5.7 and I've burned several DVD DL discs since last week.

cheers

Let us know what happens when you're able to get hold of some non Memorex media, we're not tracking any issues related specifically to 10.5.7 and I've burned several DVD DL discs since last week.

cheers

I believe I have the problem solved. The software I used to rip the DVD (Ripit 1.2.6) has a problem with 10.5.7. They have just released a new version that is supposed to take care of this problem, 1.2.7. I will try ripping the DVD again to see if that solves the problem. I was able to burn completely and verify a DVD I ripped with an earlier version of Ripit (1.2.5) so I suspect version 1.2.6 is the problem.

Thanks.