• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ffooky

FLAC to AAC conversion now causes 7.0.2 to quit.

Question

I've just tried to convert some FLAC files to AAC for the first time since I upgraded to QuickTime 7.1 (running OS X 10.3.9). The first oddity I noticed was that the sample rate conversion quality option has been replaced by "Render Settings" and that the final option in the Advanced Settings (Good, better or best) is no longer there.

Every time I attempt a conversion it appears to start but then causes Toast to quit:

OS Version:	 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: Toast Titanium
Path:	/Applications/Toast 7 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast Titanium
Version: 7.0.2 (7.0.2)
PID:	 2624
Thread:  5

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:	  KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x4b6e6f77

Thread 5 Crashed:
0   <<00000000>> 	0x93f601f4 0 + 0x93f601f4
1   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c5ee4 __CFArrayDeallocate + 0x3c
2   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c1848 CFRelease + 0x1e8
3   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c8a80 CFDictionaryRemoveAllValues + 0x200
4   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901d6b20 __CFDictionaryDeallocate + 0x54
5   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c1848 CFRelease + 0x1e8
6   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c4f5c __CFArrayReleaseValues + 0x214
7   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c5ee4 __CFArrayDeallocate + 0x3c
8   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c1848 CFRelease + 0x1e8
9   com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c8a80 CFDictionaryRemoveAllValues + 0x200
10  com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901d6b20 __CFDictionaryDeallocate + 0x54
11  com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c1848 CFRelease + 0x1e8
12  com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c4f5c __CFArrayReleaseValues + 0x214
13  com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c5ee4 __CFArrayDeallocate + 0x3c
14  com.apple.CoreFoundation	   	0x901c1848 CFRelease + 0x1e8
15  ...ickTimeComponents.component 	0x8d3987c0 NuStartSound + 0x55c
16  ...ickTimeComponents.component 	0x8d386ab0 SpitMovieFromProceduresToDataRef + 0x39c
17  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 	0x902b20d4 CallComponentFunctionCommon + 0x434
18  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 	0x902b0e50 CallComponent + 0x10c
19  com.apple.QuickTime				0x7e7cba98 MovieExportFromProceduresToDataRef + 0x2c
20  com.roxio.Toast					0x003aedbc CQTTrackExporter::Export() + 0x180
21  com.roxio.Toast					0x003ae1f0 CQTTrackExporter::ExportTrack() + 0x44
22  com.roxio.Toast					0x004d8e9c 0x1000 + 0x4d7e9c
23  com.roxio.Toast					0x000c3c44 CThread::Run() + 0x80
24  com.roxio.Toast					0x00189d30 LXThread::ThreadWrapper(LXThread*) + 0x120
25  libSystem.B.dylib				  0x90024990 _pthread_body + 0x28

Exporting the same FLAC files to any of the other format options works perfectly but AAC, no matter which options are selected, causes this crash.

18 answers to this question

I'd be interested to know if the same thing happens under Tiger. I can't test because both my Tiger boxes are G3's.

If it's just a 10.3.9 issue I suppose a resolution is highly unlikely.

Hope that the Roxio folk who read this forum put the problem on the techie's desk? And then again hope that the "near future" for Toast's next update is finally upon us. Don't hold your breath though, me thinks that it has been ready for ages but they're having trouble with Universal Binary stuff. Might be completely wrong here, so I more or less expect a slap from Roxio for saying this. Silly me, thinking it is probably still alright...

Anway, getting one-on-one tech support is sheer impossible. Company policy I suppose, it's happening more and more. Take EMC Insignia (Dantz) with Retrospect for instance. I've now got my internal LaCie NEC 3520AW and an external LaCie FW/USB2 FireWire drive. Both of them work with Toast, Finder or whatever but no dice with Retrospect Desktop. The trays open and close, but that's it. No spinning up discs, nothing whatsoever. Retrospect just sits there becoming unresponsive after a while. Yet with other people it all works fine. You don't want to know how long I've been busy trying to get someone at their end to look into this. No luck at all, of course. The solution is probably something simple, but I don't know OS X's guts as well as OS 9. Still, I'm not giving up!

Sorry for this Retrospect tech support example on my dearest Toast forum. My excuse is that I'm getting a wee bit more frustrated each and every day...

Take EMC Insignia (Dantz) with Retrospect for instance. I've now got my internal LaCie NEC 3520AW and an external LaCie FW/USB2 FireWire drive. Both of them work with Toast, Finder or whatever but no dice with Retrospect Desktop. The trays open and close, but that's it. No spinning up discs, nothing whatsoever. Retrospect just sits there becoming unresponsive after a while. Yet with other people it all works fine.

I was one who told you I had Retrospect Express working with my LaCie drive (same as yours). As it turns out, the burns eventually failed and I never completed a DVD backup with Retrospect. I tried with a couple different brands of media. So I take back my earlier remark about it working.

I, too, look forward to Roxio completing the next update to Toast even though I don't yet have an Intel Mac. I wonder what it must be like for them when Apple updates QuickTime to 7.1 or issues 10.4.6 (and maybe 10.4.7) while they are trying to do their beta testing. And what progress are the developers of Motion Pictures and CD Spin Doctor and Deja Vu having with their updates? MagicMouse is about to release Discus 4 but I doubt if any update to a light version of it will be seen with Toast 7. My expectation is they'll want to retail that version all by themselves.

Thank you for the update on your Retrospect adventures, tsantee. Besides you some guys on the Retrospect forum said they got it working without problems. I'll soldier on...

For developers on Mac I think it has always been that way. One component, security or OS update after another. I'm sure they learned to live with that. But for complex programs, why not release two versions, Intel and PPC? Wouldn't that be a lot less hassle?

But for complex programs, why not release two versions, Intel and PPC? Wouldn't that be a lot less hassle?

Confusing for users and more hassle to release to version. Have faith, the end is near :)

I've got 8 hours to go on converting a film with Handbrake so I don't want to restart but I'd love to know if upgrading to QT 7.1.1 solves the FLAC->AAC issue or not.

Edited by ffooky

That's very nice to hear.

I don't suppose you know whether the next release remembers conversion settings between sessions ?

This is fixed in Toast 7.1. Yay!

I am up to date on QT and Toast, but when trying to convert a Video_TS to QT it crashes, And with other formats as well. Turning off Sound conversion allows it to export... but of course no sound. Any suggestions?

Toast 7.1.

QT 7.1.2

OSX 10.4.6