• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Automation / Transitions in Menu Buttons

tbernardi

Question

In Ver 7.x, you could have your presentation actually show in the menu buttons giving the buttons life like a slideshow. Can you do this as well with ver 8? I used the default menu style and there is no autmation in the button and I could not find a setting to turn this on.

Maybe only certain menu styles provide this?

Tony

13 answers to this question

You should be able to see the animation whe you click PREVIEW. How long the duration for the first image? Does the first image have pan/zoom? What I'm getting at, does the first image(s) have enough movement to be noticeable in a thumbnail? I think the default Brook menu is 66sec. Did you play the entire 66sec when you previewed it?

Last but not least, have you followed all the other advise in the forum on updating your video card drivers and DirectX?

I created a VideoWave project using pictures and transitions and pan and zoom. I didn't create a slideshow from within MyDVD. I added a movie and selected the VideoWave presentation.

I then added the project to a MyDVD project. There is only a still picture on the menu button. I will have to play around a bit more I guess.

I don't see the automation during preview or the final burned product. Can you see the automation during preview or only after it is burned to DVD?

I don't think you will get an animated thumbnail from a project imported into MyDVD as a dmsm (Videowave file) when the first frame is a still picture. You will see only the first frame of your slideshow. If, in Videowave, you output that slideshow to a video file, such as MPEG or DV AVI, and import that into MyDVD, then you will have an animated thumbnail. On the other hand, if the first frame is a video in a dmsm file, then you will see the animation.

I think it was the same way in DVDBuilder in 7.5. But, I could be wrong about that. It has been quite a while since I used DVDBuilder and I may just be having a senior moment, unfortunately. :)

Yes! Thank you! I exported my VideoWave Project as an MPEG file and attached it as a Thumbnail on my MyDVD project and the thumbnail has animation.

I assume this is what Gary Russell was trying to tell me as well.

I can tell you for sure… this is not how ver. 7.5 worked. I could do everything in DVD Builder. I never had to export my project to a video file to get animation in 7.5 thumbnails.

I'm frustrated that I now have to jump to all these different programs to accomplish what I did in ver 7.5..

But, the new transitions are worth it.

Thanks to all,

Tony

I don't think you will get an animated thumbnail from a project imported into MyDVD as a dmsm (Videowave file) when the first frame is a still picture. You will see only the first frame of your slideshow. If, in Videowave, you output that slideshow to a video file, such as MPEG or DV AVI, and import that into MyDVD, then you will have an animated thumbnail. On the other hand, if the first frame is a video in a dmsm file, then you will see the animation.

I think it was the same way in DVDBuilder in 7.5. But, I could be wrong about that. It has been quite a while since I used DVDBuilder and I may just be having a senior moment, unfortunately. :)

If you are talking about ANIMATION, yes, you are correct. Only certain menu styles have thumbnails. As far as I know, all the menus with thumbnails are animated.

The default 'Brook' menu should have animated thumbnails though. If you have MyDVD 8 Essentials or EMC8 Essentials Suite, the animation maybe turned off. I'm not familiar with those versions.

I am using “Brook”. The background scenery is animated, but the menu button does not show the slideshow of the content of the VideoWave presentation. I got this result using ver 7.5. Not a big issue, but it was a nice feature.

I puchased the full product. Not Deluxe, but not Essentials.

If you are talking about ANIMATION, yes, you are correct. Only certain menu styles have thumbnails. As far as I know, all the menus with thumbnails are animated.

The default 'Brook' menu should have animated thumbnails though. If you have MyDVD 8 Essentials or EMC8 Essentials Suite, the animation maybe turned off. I'm not familiar with those versions.

I just tried it on my work machine which has totally different hardware and the same result. MPEG thumbnail shows animation but .DMSM File does not. Although this is a very minor issue, I'm surprised no one else has reported it.

Do you think I would lose picture quality by exporting the VideoWave presentation to MPEG and then importing it vs. directly importing the .dmsm file?

I could give up the automated thumbnail feature because I certainly don't want to lose picture quality.

Thanks again!

I created a VideoWave project using pictures and transitions and pan and zoom. I didn't create a slideshow from within MyDVD. I added a movie and selected the VideoWave presentation.

I then added the project to a MyDVD project. There is only a still picture on the menu button. I will have to play around a bit more I guess.

I don't see the automation during preview or the final burned product. Can you see the automation during preview or only after it is burned to DVD?

It should be automatic since the standard version has no way to turn it off.

Are you adding a video file or is it a slideshow?

I just tried it on my work machine which has totally different hardware and the same result. MPEG thumbnail shows animation but .DMSM File does not. Although this is a very minor issue, I'm surprised no one else has reported it.

Do you think I would lose picture quality by exporting the VideoWave presentation to MPEG and then importing it vs. directly importing the .dmsm file?

I could give up the automated thumbnail feature because I certainly don't want to lose picture quality.

Thanks again!

I have tried burning directly from a dmsm file and then an MPEG using the same source material and, personally, I see very little if any degradation in quality. However, I suggest you try both using RW discs if you have them and then judge for yourself.

And, thank you for setting me straight on motion thumbnails in V7.5. I hate senior moments. :)

Archived