• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Time and Date Codes

lester77

Question

Can anyone PLEASE TELL me how to get the date and time code off of the camcorder onto the digital video onto the computer???? I see it on the camcorder but I cannot get it to show up on the digital copy on the computer or DVD. Thanks. :)

5 answers to this question

It's not easy. Digital camcorders record the time/date on the tape. I don't know of any commercial software that will put the time/date on the video. However, there are several shareware apps that will. Use your fav search engine to find one.

The time/date is transferred and encoded into DV AVI files, but this info is not saved in MPEG 2 files.

Of course, you can always add the date/time manually using a text effect.

Can anyone PLEASE TELL me how to get the date and time code off of the camcorder onto the digital video onto the computer???? I see it on the camcorder but I cannot get it to show up on the digital copy on the computer or DVD. Thanks. B)

I found a freebie program called DvDate here

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

It's a small program and it works great. It places a time/date stamp on the captured AVI file every place the camera records a new scene. The duration of the stamp is adjustable. You need to go to the preferences settings and check the automatic box and enter the length of time for the duration ( it defaults to 5 seconds).

After that, CTRL+I stamps the file. The stamped file is saved to the same name as the orig but with "_in" appended to it.

The file can be edited in Videowave. You can split it, add transitions and color panels to it, and delete parts of it. Do not delete any part which shows the stamp or it will be lost. You can output the file in any format and the stamp will be preserved.

When you close the program the first time you will be asked to save you preferences. Hit all and the program saves them every time it closes and won't nag you again.

Can anyone PLEASE TELL me how to get the date and time code off of the camcorder onto the digital video onto the computer???? I see it on the camcorder but I cannot get it to show up on the digital copy on the computer or DVD. Thanks. :)

I don't know of any program that puts the date/time stamp on the video as it captures. I use a small utility call vDTS to put the date/time on any captured video. It really works well and you can set the font, size, color and location as well as have the date/time fade in and out. The link to the program is

http://dts8888.com

Archived