pammm56

A problem with iMovie

Question

iMovie 08 rejected my 120 minutes of video which came into the Mac quite fine. I finished by sending it to iMovie. iMovie shows the project, but rejects the whole file. I also created a .mov file which seems to be workable in Quicktime (and it 11GB), but iMovie doesn't like it either.

iMovie 08 rejected my 120 minutes of video which came into the Mac quite fine. I finished by sending it to iMovie. iMovie shows the project, but rejects the whole file. I also created a .mov file which seems to be workable in Quicktime (and it 11GB), but iMovie doesn't like it either.

I have exactly the same problem, all works fine until I try to send the movie to iMovie 08, it goes through the encoding process and finishes, but when I try to open the movie in iMOvie 08, it shows 'no matching video'. I guess this is a codec problem ? Anyone with any solutions ?

I'm using Leopard 10.5.7 on a 2.4 GHz Intel iMac with 4 Gb DDR2 Dram, iMovie 08 7.1.4, and Easy VHS 1.0.1 (5122)

Martin

I too have exactly the same problem, all works fine until I try to send the movie to iMovie, but I have 09, it goes through the encoding process and finishes, but when I try to open the movie in iMovie 09, it shows 'no matching video'. I guess this is a codec problem ? Anyone with any solutions ?

I'm using Leopard 10.5.7 on a 2.53 GHz Intel macbook pro with 4 Gb DDR3 Dram, iMovie 09 8.0.2, and Easy VHS for mac 1.0.1

/uffe

Edited by uffe

I have exactly the same problem, all works fine until I try to send the movie to iMovie 08, it goes through the encoding process and finishes, but when I try to open the movie in iMOvie 08, it shows 'no matching video'. I guess this is a codec problem ? Anyone with any solutions ?

I'm using Leopard 10.5.7 on a 2.4 GHz Intel iMac with 4 Gb DDR2 Dram, iMovie 08 7.1.4, and Easy VHS 1.0.1 (5122)

Martin

I have an Imac 2.8 GHz 2 core - OSX 10.5.7 running iMovie 08 - same problem

I received my VHS to DVD program yesterday and immediately threw in a 20 year old tape of my daughter's volleyball. I had the same problem moving the file into iMovie 09. It was unrecognizable and stated that no file existed. Time wasted, but I may have a work-around. I exported the file to QuickTime and then exported it as a "dv" file. That can be brought into iMovie for editing. Seems to work. I cannot tell how much quality will be lost at this point.

I received my VHS to DVD program yesterday and immediately threw in a 20 year old tape of my daughter's volleyball. I had the same problem moving the file into iMovie 09. It was unrecognizable and stated that no file existed. Time wasted, but I may have a work-around. I exported the file to QuickTime and then exported it as a "dv" file. That can be brought into iMovie for editing. Seems to work. I cannot tell how much quality will be lost at this point.

The issue actually appears to be a glitch with iMovie in that it doesn't accept Apple Intermediate Codec formatted files with QT Text Tracks, we'll have an update out to resolve this issue shortly. You will notice, that if you navigate to Movies --> iMovie Events you will see the video in the iMovie Event folder within Finder and that you can play it with QuickTime.

Another work around, for users that have QuickTime Pro, is to find the .MOV file within the iMovie Event folder and use QuickTime to delete the Text Track.

Here's what I found. The non-updated version that came on the installation CD in the box (version 1.0) worked fine.

Naturally, I updated to version 1.0.1, and that version saved the incoming video in an .mpg format that was unrecognizable to any program I have, including Windows Media Player, Quicktime Player, iMovie, and even GraphicConverter, which can usually open most graphics and movie files. I wasted a few hours trying several work-arounds.

Finally, knowing that I had successfully imported video using the 1.0 version, I reinstalled it after dumping the 1.0.1 version, and the older version worked fine.

I am using Mac OS X 10.5.7 on a white plastic MacBook (2GHz with 2GB of DRAM).

Also, when I pointed this problem out to Roxio tech support, I got a response to download version 1.0.1. Sorry, fellas, I ain't going there. I don't think anyone at Roxio actually read my incoming message.

This is a brand new product as of last month and simply does not work as stated. The only reason I bought it was that it said it would work with iMovie. They claim there is a "glitch" with iMovie in that it doesn't accept AIC formatted files with QT Test Tracks and that there will be an update out to resolve this issue shortly. Really? WHEN?

Then they suggest a bunch of "work-arounds" for us to use in order to get it to work properly. Very dissapointing to say the least!

Shouldn't they have at least tested the whole "AIC-QT Test Track" thing before they put it on the market? It seems to me like they are just trying to get you to upgrade to their "Toast-10", hoping you will just be happy you are able to burn a DVD with that. BUT SORRY GUYS!! I have a brand new Mac 24" and want to use its iMovie functions for editing, NOT YOURS, that's the reason I bought it in the first place. So they better get the new updated version going very soon (like in the next week or so) or they will have a lot of very unhappy Mac users on their hands.

Edited by eagillan

Tommy404 said, "Finally, knowing that I had successfully imported video using the 1.0 version, I reinstalled it after dumping the 1.0.1 version, and the older version worked fine."

Well I tried doing that and I still was not able to import any video. Was there something else you did besides just reinstalling the 1.0 version?

The issue actually appears to be a glitch with iMovie in that it doesn't accept Apple Intermediate Codec formatted files with QT Text Tracks, we'll have an update out to resolve this issue shortly. You will notice, that if you navigate to Movies --> iMovie Events you will see the video in the iMovie Event folder within Finder and that you can play it with QuickTime.

Another work around, for users that have QuickTime Pro, is to find the .MOV file within the iMovie Event folder and use QuickTime to delete the Text Track.

I've had only mixed success in getting iMovie ('09) to recognize the files exported from "Easy." After several frustrating hours, I finally got two short segments to be recognized. Then when I did the next one, no luck. I've tried it again after a reboot, but still no luck. One thing I noticed is that "Easy" told me that iMovie had to be reopened the two times that the process worked. Since then, I have not encountered that dialog box.

This is VERY bad. I bought this product only because it was supposed to work with iMovie.

If the text track is removed all the clips which so nicely would be recognized as chapters come in as one horribly long clip.

Another new but very unhappy user of Easy VHS to DVD for Mac. Again iMovie will not recognize the import. How about a fix????

Another new but very unhappy user of Easy VHS to DVD for Mac. Again iMovie will not recognize the import. How about a fix????

I expect an update to be posted Friday. We're currently testing and verifying fixes for this update. If anyone is interested in testing the beta, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

cheers

Patrick

I tried the beta update Patrick from Roxio sent to me for testing and although it now allows me to move files to iMovie for editing, it only lets me do it in 5-minute increments. Anything longer than that and it won't reconize it for downloading. So it's the same old problem. I emailed Patrick about it and since I didn't see it posted for download on their site yesterday like he said they were going to do, I'm sure they realized they hadn't worked out all the bugs yet and are still working on it.

Let's hope they get it all together soon.

I'm having this same problem. When is an about going to be available?

Version 1.0.2 is available now. See the pinned post at the top of this forum.

I'm happy to say that the new 1.0.2 update took care of the problem and I can now edit movies in iMovie.

THANKS TO EVERYONE AT ROXIO THAT GOT THIS PRODUCT TO WORK AS STATED.

A HEARTY CHEERS TO ALL!!!

I'm happy to say that the new 1.0.2 update took care of the problem and I can now edit movies in iMovie.

THANKS TO EVERYONE AT ROXIO THAT GOT THIS PRODUCT TO WORK AS STATED.

A HEARTY CHEERS TO ALL!!!

That's interesting. Which iMovie are you using?

I have updated to 1.0.2 and the only thing that has changed is that the software generates a .mpg file instead of a .mov file. Neither works with my iMovie '08. I have to go through an additional conversion in Toast to get a .dv file.

The bottom line is that the software should generate the correct file to start with.

That's interesting. Which iMovie are you using?

I have updated to 1.0.2 and the only thing that has changed is that the software generates a .mpg file instead of a .mov file. Neither works with my iMovie '08. I have to go through an additional conversion in Toast to get a .dv file.

The bottom line is that the software should generate the correct file to start with.

The Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is an MPEG 2 encoder because that is the format used for video DVDs. It also has an option that at the end of the MPEG 2 encoding you can tell it to convert another copy in MPEG 4 format for import to iMovie. The product is not called Easy VHS to iMovie. If that is what you were looking for it probably would have been a better choice to buy the capture device sold by ElGato which encodes directly to MPEG 4. But with that you would need to convert the video to MPEG 2 if you want a video DVD.

My guess is that most users are wanting a simple way to make DVDs from their VHS tapes in which case iMovie is not needed with this device.

I use iMovie 8.0.3 and have upgraded recently with iLife09. Once you have downloaded the "Roxio VHS to DVD Capture Update" (1.0.2), you need to open the program right from that update each time in order to get it to work properly. I dragged it down into my dock to make it easier to open each time.

I only capture one hour of Video-8 film or VHS film at a time, so when I hit the "Stop Recording" button it takes a couple of minutes to download then I immediately click the "Edit with iMovie" icon and it will then download the file into a format that iMovie will recognize. This step takes about 15 minutes for every 1 hour of analog tape you are converting. Then once that is completed, it opens up iMovie for you and you will see a drop down screen that tells you it is now "Generating Thumbnails" for that movie file. That only takes a couple of minutes then the new file will come up in the "Event Library" where you can begin editing.

Edited by eagillan

The Easy VHS to DVD for Mac is an MPEG 2 encoder because that is the format used for video DVDs. It also has an option that at the end of the MPEG 2 encoding you can tell it to convert another copy in MPEG 4 format for import to iMovie. The product is not called Easy VHS to iMovie. If that is what you were looking for it probably would have been a better choice to buy the capture device sold by ElGato which encodes directly to MPEG 4. But with that you would need to convert the video to MPEG 2 if you want a video DVD.

My guess is that most users are wanting a simple way to make DVDs from their VHS tapes in which case iMovie is not needed with this device.

It may not be called "Easy VHS to iMovie", but now that I have been able to transfer all of my Video8 and VHS tapes into iMovie for editing... I just tried burning my first DVD and it worked great. I even ran it in super-slow-motion and each frame still has excellent quality, even in full-screen on my 24" Mac. This is my first time using iMovie for editing and I love all of the things that you are able to do with it. This was why I bought the Roxio Converter in the first place. Now that it works, I couldn't be happier. :rolleyes:

:DHERE'S A LITTLE TIP: for those of you who only have a "mono-input" on your Camcorders. I had orginally recorded all of my movies on a Sony Handycam with stereo imputs but it stopped working long ago and I couldn't find a used one on ebay, so I borrowed my sisters Sony Handycam that only has a mono jack and I simply went over to Radio Shack and got myself an audio-splitter so that I could record sound from both the left and right channels. Otherwise, when you burn a DVD and go to play it back on your computer or TV, you will only have sound coming out of one side. Not Good!! :angry2:

Despite upgrading to v.1.0.2,I'm still getting lots of frame dropouts. PLEASE FIX!

The other problem is that after capturing the videos,I don't always want to send them straight off to iMovie.If I close the Easy VHS-DVD program and later on try to open the .mpg files with iMovie,it just won't-they're greyed out and I can't drag them in either. I have iMovie '08 v.7.1.4.

Is there an alternative to iMovie for editing the captured videos?

Despite upgrading to v.1.0.2,I'm still getting lots of frame dropouts. PLEASE FIX!

The other problem is that after capturing the videos,I don't always want to send them straight off to iMovie.If I close the Easy VHS-DVD program and later on try to open the .mpg files with iMovie,it just won't-they're greyed out and I can't drag them in either. I have iMovie '08 v.7.1.4.

Is there an alternative to iMovie for editing the captured videos?

The frame dropouts for some Macs should be fixed with the 1.0.3 update that is very near completion. As for editing, if all you want to do is cut out segments or cut the movie into multiple movie titles then you can do this with a full version of Toast or with MPEG Streamclip without having to change the format from MPEG 2. This eliminates the need to do any re-encoding although you can't add any transitions, titles or clips from photos and other sources as you can with iMovie.

Edited by tsantee

So by a full version of Toast do you mean something more than the basic Toast provided with Easy VHS-DVD? I've got Toast Titanium 6; is that enough?

And I really don't understand why it shouldn't be possible to have an 'Open file' dropdown in Easy VHS,or something similar, to be able to send old captured files to iMovie at a later date.