• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

question marks

widgetrich

Question

when I went back and looked at some of my saved programs....they all have question marks....I think I did something when i reinstalled the program...It looks like all the photos that I edited in roxio have question marks........they all are in the same file and i know that I have never put anything in that file.....what do I do to correct this without going into all the programs and changing every picture..........please help......I have spent alot of time on this

:)

19 answers to this question

We need more information. What kind of project are you working on, photo editing video or what?

Usually the "?" indicates that your project file cannot find the source files in the location specified in the project files. You may have moved or even deleted those source files.

I don't understand what you mean by "they all are in the same file and i know that I have never put anything in that file". If you are referring to the project files (the ones with extension dmsd, dmsp or dmsm) then none of those files contain any source photo and/or video files. All they contain is your editing commands and the links to the files to be edited.

We need more information. What kind of project are you working on, photo editing video or what?

Usually the "?" indicates that your project file cannot find the source files in the location specified in the project files. You may have moved or even deleted those source files.

I don't understand what you mean by "they all are in the same file and i know that I have never put anything in that file". If you are referring to the project files (the ones with extension dmsd, dmsp or dmsm) then none of those files contain any source photo and/or video files. All they contain is your editing commands and the links to the files to be edited.

I use emc 7 the box said 7.5 but when you down load is says 7.0 I use video wave with pictures...this is what happend I had a problem with question marks in transitions and so what I did was to reload the program after I did that I read on this page and found the answer so I solve that problem...so when I when to my saved program that I had gone to many times before even burned a dvd....there were not only pictures with question marks in that storyboard but when I checked by past programs they had the same thing that was never there before...and they all say that the file is in the same place where I know for a fact that it was never put there by me...I put them in jpeg......all of the files say c/mydocuments/ application/ all users/ png.............I do not us all users........I did my editing with these pictures with roxio........there are a lot of pictures so hopefully I can correct them with a simple press of the button.........what is so strange is that I had seen these programs and they had not question marks......why would the file mess up if I reload...any just please help me.......I put alot of time into these projects...hope to hear

First of all you might want to tell us what version of EMC your are running (7 or 7.5 ?) 7 and 7.5 are nearly the same but there are differences. Then what program did you use to create your "Saved Programs" as you put it. And what kind of photos are they (jpeg, bmp, tiff, gif ?) and what type of editing did you do to them ? All of these things might help to solve your problem.

Sorry Walt, whenI started my reply I didn't see anyone else that had replied. You must have posted just before me.

Frank.....

emc 7 saved video wave program in dm(something- the videowave format) photos are jpeg NOT PNG I edited them in roxio video wave ( they were all save with the project other photos please help

I use emc 7 the box said 7.5 but when you down load is says 7.0 I use video wave with pictures...this is what happend I had a problem with question marks in transitions and so what I did was to reload the program after I did that I read on this page and found the answer so I solve that problem...so when I when to my saved program that I had gone to many times before even burned a dvd....there were not only pictures with question marks in that storyboard but when I checked by past programs they had the same thing that was never there before...and they all say that the file is in the same place where I know for a fact that it was never put there by me...I put them in jpeg......all of the files say c/mydocuments/ application/ all users/ png.............I do not us all users........I did my editing with these pictures with roxio........there are a lot of pictures so hopefully I can correct them with a simple press of the button.........what is so strange is that I had seen these programs and they had not question marks......why would the file mess up if I reload...any just please help me.......I put alot of time into these projects...hope to hear

emc 7 saved video wave program in dm(something- the videowave format) photos are jpeg NOT PNG I edited them in roxio video wave ( they were all save with the project other photos please help

If you edited those photos in VideoWave, it is highly probable that they were changed to .png files when you saved them.

When you reloaded the program, you probably broke the links to the original pictures for the past programs, so they now have question marks as well as the new one.

As to where the markup info is - if you did not specify a file, it will go to a default file - which is probably what c:/mydocuments/applications/allusers/png is. And as Bruce pointed out, the original file format is not necessarily the format that they would be stored in by Roxio.

However, I think your "magic solution" is probably going to be the one Walt suggested - restoring the links one by one.

It's possible to break them all at one go, but restoring them is a slower process.

Lynn

so what do I do to change them all back to the orginal ...there are alot....need help

The first thing you do is search your hard drives for the original .jpg photos. They should be in the folder that you put them in, originally. If they are not, and you did not delete them yourself, it means that when you edited them, you clicked Save and not Save as, and your original photo was deleted, and Roxio saved it as a .png, at a different location. Pretty lame, but I think that that may have happened.

Personally, I don't generally use the Roxio software for editing photos. I have used PhotoSuite a number of times, but I usually use a number of other photo editing programs that are better but are somewhat expensive.

Guest mlpasley

Well, at the risk of being run out of town on a rail......

The new information makes me think that this user might have an unsolvable problem.

If I remember correctly, someone else had this exact problem and the problem is the jpeg files which have been altered and changed into .png files.

I think there's a bug in the program which empties (overwrites) the folder where the new .png files are stored when you uninstall and reinstall. :)

Which means that the altered files are no longer on the machine. You could try a Windows Search for .png files and search in hidden and subfolders, but I don't think you're going to find them.

The new information makes me think that this user might have an unsolvable problem.

If I remember correctly, someone else had this exact problem and the problem is the jpeg files which have been altered and changed into .png files.

I think there's a bug in the program which empties (overwrites) the folder where the new .png files are stored when you uninstall and reinstall. :)

Which means that the altered files are no longer on the machine. You could try a Windows Search for .png files and search in hidden and subfolders, but I don't think you're going to find them.

Boy, am I glad that you remember it that way, too. That is what I was trying to say in the second sentence of the first paragraph of my last post.

I remember that post. It was on the board from last year. :huh:

Guest mlpasley
Boy, am I glad that you remember it that way, too. That is what I was trying to say in the second sentence of the first paragraph of my last post.

I remember that post. It was on the board from last year. :)

Good. I'm glad someone else remembers it too. I don't always trust my memory, but this problem took forever to track down by the user and we were as frustrated as the user.

The only way around the problem was to locate the .png files in that hidden folder BEFORE the uninstall, move them to a new folder on the desktop and move them back after a reinstall.

Unfortunately, since it's a bug, there are no warning messages and you're just out of luck after the reinstall.

I guess the best suggestion after the solution is apparent then, would make sure you back up all your original photos before you do any editing, especially if you are doing your editing with Roxio's program. Backing up all originals no matter what program your are using, is probably the best suggestion though.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley
I guess the best suggestion after the solution is apparent then, would make sure you back up all your original photos before you do any editing, especially if you are doing your editing with Roxio's program. Backing up all originals no matter what program your are using, is probably the best suggestion though.

Frank....

Good idea.... except these edited photos are in a 'hidden folder' and you don't have any idea that they are stored there until it's too late.

In fact, I'd forgotten about the bug until this person brought the subject up again. I don't think any of the other folders are overwritten, just this one where you've altered photos with special effects.

The first thing you do is search your hard drives for the original .jpg photos. They should be in the folder that you put them in, originally. If they are not, and you did not delete them yourself, it means that when you edited them, you clicked Save and not Save as, and your original photo was deleted, and Roxio saved it as a .png, at a different location. Pretty lame, but I think that that may have happened.

Personally, I don't generally use the Roxio software for editing photos. I have used PhotoSuite a number of times, but I usually use a number of other photo editing programs that are better but are somewhat expensive.

I always us save as....but I think that I used the edit in roxio....just want to know what happen...I photo is in the

same folder as the other photo I have....I use photoshop to edit so in that same folder I have copy with the one

that I edit but when I am in a hurry and forgot to edit in photo shop I use the roxio edit.....I never had a problem when I saved the program (always save as) until I reinstalled the roxio program...In everyone of the question marks it said that the picture could be found in c/document and settings/all users/video wave 7/ edited images/ then the folder name but with PNG-----I never have put anything in png.....I was on the phone today with the support and they could not help me..............I know how to find a missing file but that is not the point why did this happen so I do not get into this again...sure I would like an easy way to correct all the missing files

I did not unintall only reinstalled the program..the phone guy could not help me on the phone for two hours

I remember that post. It was on the board from last year. :huh:

[/quote

This is the best I have heard.........so the solution is not to edit in the roxio...right....why or how the jpeg convert to png....as says that it is in all users application data/roxio/video wave 7..........I was on the phone for two hours today and they could not solve my issue.................the picture is still in the same file with the others

I guess I will do one by one what a pain..........I just dont want to go through again the tech guysaid to get the emc 8 how will that help me with this problem

Guest mlpasley

I don't know if version 8 will solve this problem and frankly, I wouldn't buy it just to solve this problem.

You can see what happens yourself by opening a new production, put a picture on the storyline then right click on it and choose Edit\ Photo. Now change it by rotating it or resizing it, etc. Choose done.

Now do a Windows\ Search for a *.png file and choose search System, Hidden folders and select Subfolders under Advanced options. You'll find your modified picture in that folder. You might have to go to Windows Explorer and in the Tools\ Folder Options\ View, choose to 'show hidden files and folders'.

The cheapest way around this problem in the future BEFORE you go to Windows\ Add Remove programs to change EMC7, you find that folder and Copy or Move those .png files to a new folder on your desktop. Then when you're done changing\repairing\reinstalling.... EMC7, move the .png files back into the new (now empty) folder c/document and settings/all users/video wave 7/ edited images/.

At this point tech support cannot help you because they cannot restore the files with the question marks. You could buy a program that attempts to recover deleted files from your hard drive, but those files might have already been overwritten and unrecoverable and that's more expense.

I personally recommend that you don't depend on those production files. I frequently do a File\ Output production to.... video file\ for DVD authoring\ best if I've done a lot of work on a movie. In case something goes wrong, I've got a movie that I can continue to edit. Yes. It takes time, but I usually start the render before I'm going to be away from the computer for a few hours. You might also want to burn it to a DVD RW as a backup in case of a hard disk crash.

Sorry for being so long winded. :)

You can edit in Roxio, but save them to some folder outside of the Roxio program. As I said before, I don't use the Roxio program for editing, and if you have Adobe Photoshop, no way should you use Roxio to edit photos. Use Adobe.

Also I would recommend not doing any photo editing from within Videowave. Whenever I use Roxio to edit photo I load Photosuite and do my editing and then Save As to a file and location (outside of any Roxio folders) of my choosing in either png or jpg format. You can then easily bring those edited photos into Videowave. These edited images are never destroyed if you ever re-installe Roxio.

Also I would recommend not doing any photo editing from within Videowave. Whenever I use Roxio to edit photo I load Photosuite and do my editing and then Save As to a file and location (outside of any Roxio folders) of my choosing in either png or jpg format. You can then easily bring those edited photos into Videowave. These edited images are never destroyed if you ever re-installe Roxio.

I usually edit in photo shop but I had 300 pictures and was in a hurry and had to crop...I usually save as my pictures on h extrual drive...I think the issue was when I reinstalled the program..what I did is one by one went into the program and did a missing file transfer( what a pain)

Editing 300 pictures in a short time was hard...when I put a motion picture or special effects into a picture the process seems to take long than I want...I am not on internet ..what can I do to speed up the process? you all

have been most helpful...I have learned not to reinstall/ or even touch that in the future....got all my programs back ...........what did you mean by saving the videowave in the dvd?

Guest mlpasley
I think the issue was when I reinstalled the program..

That was definitely the issue.

Turning off programs that run in the background like virus checkers or firewalls when you're not connected to the internet can sometimes speed up the process.

However......Generating a preview file takes the most time.

What you can do is make several smaller productions in VideoWave and assemble them in DVD Builder. An example is the best way to explain this.

If you've got 20 pictures that you want to apply motion to.... make a VideoWave production of just those photos and the motion (production 1). Then if you've got 30 photos that you want a special effect on, put those in another production (production 2). When you have all the photos in different productions, open DVD Builder.

Put the production that you want to appear first on the menu (it doesn't have to be production 1). Now click on that file on the menu and select 'Add to title' from the menu on the left of the screen. Add the next production.... continue until they are all on the storyline at the bottom right. When you're done you'll be able to customize your menu, preview and burn the DVD.

when I went back and looked at some of my saved programs....they all have question marks....I think I did something when i reinstalled the program...It looks like all the photos that I edited in roxio have question marks........they all are in the same file and i know that I have never put anything in that file.....what do I do to correct this without going into all the programs and changing every picture..........please help......I have spent alot of time on this

:)

First of all you might want to tell us what version of EMC your are running (7 or 7.5 ?) 7 and 7.5 are nearly the same but there are differences. Then what program did you use to create your "Saved Programs" as you put it. And what kind of photos are they (jpeg, bmp, tiff, gif ?) and what type of editing did you do to them ? All of these things might help to solve your problem.

Sorry Walt, whenI started my reply I didn't see anyone else that had replied. You must have posted just before me.

Frank.....

Guest mlpasley

If you're in VideoWave, do a File\ Browse for missing files to relink the video and photos to the production.

In DVD Builder, go to Title\ Browse for missing files.

The program has just lost it's 'link' to the files.

Archived