• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
jaykay

dvd ram

Question

Toast 8 user manual says that the program recognises dvd ram (non-cartridge) disks and my freecom external dvd drive also accepts this medium. However I cannot get toast 8 to copy anything to a dvd ram disk. Has anyone else found this and does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance

jaykay

5 answers to this question

I've never used DVD-Ram but I hope I can help with this. First I want to be clear if you are referring to writing to DVD-Ram the way it can be done on a PC in which the DVD-Ram disc becomes much like a hard drive or flash drive. Macs can't do that. You should be able to burn to a DVD-Ram disc the same as if it is any other DVD presuming the drive supports writing to those discs.

What happens when you try to burn to the DVD-Ram disc? Have you used Toast to erase the DVD-Ram before recording?

Hi Tsantee

Thanks for your response. No I hadn't thought of using Toast to erase the DVD-Ram before recording. I had just assumed, obviously in error, that a new Dvd Ram would be ready formatted. So I will try your suggestion and let you know how I get on. I was trying to burn to DVD Ram to back up my personal data files and photo files.

Thanks again and regards

Jaykay :mellow:

Hi tsantee

I tried your advice to erase the DVD Ram disk. The good news is that it worked and I have now backed up my data. For info only - the erase process was very slo-o-o-o-w (I almost gave up on it) and backing up also took a lot longer than backing up to a DVR/RW. The reason I wanted to use DVD Ram is that they can be re-written to for ever and a day - some reviews estimate 100,000 times, and I am constantly adding and deleting photo's and clipart.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Jaykay :)

Hi tsantee

I tried your advice to erase the DVD Ram disk. The good news is that it worked and I have now backed up my data. For info only - the erase process was very slo-o-o-o-w (I almost gave up on it) and backing up also took a lot longer than backing up to a DVR/RW. The reason I wanted to use DVD Ram is that they can be re-written to for ever and a day - some reviews estimate 100,000 times, and I am constantly adding and deleting photo's and clipart.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Jaykay :)

I'm glad it worked. It may work to use the Quick Erase which should only take a brief time. Something you might consider is to use a 4 GB flash drive instead. Those much faster and more flexible than writing to discs.