• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Importing Video

psychotoe

Question

When I import video I specify a location on my drive where to save the files. Once it's done the only thing that shows up in that spacific location is the WMV File. I have to go into EMC8 and select Recently Imported Video to find the video to edit, then you get that video file with the arrow pointing down to extract all the clips, only then once I drag all the clips to the time line and save it in the spcified location then it's there. I can then just go direclty to where I have it all saved on my spcified drive double click on it and EMC8 automaticly opens and all the clips are there and I can start editing.

Why does this happen? Why do I not have the opption of saving the files where I want without having to drag it all first in the time line?

I just find the file systme in EMC 7&8 very confusing, we should have the opption of not useing their file system.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Thank you.

6 answers to this question

When I import video I specify a location on my drive where to save the files. Once it's done the only thing that shows up in that spacific location is the WMV File. I have to go into EMC8 and select Recently Imported Video to find the video to edit, then you get that video file with the arrow pointing down to extract all the clips, only then once I drag all the clips to the time line and save it in the spcified location then it's there. I can then just go direclty to where I have it all saved on my spcified drive double click on it and EMC8 automaticly opens and all the clips are there and I can start editing.

Why does this happen? Why do I not have the opption of saving the files where I want without having to drag it all first in the time line?

I just find the file systme in EMC 7&8 very confusing, we should have the opption of not useing their file system.

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure about all of what you are asking, but maybe this will help:

You can drag a video file from Windows Explorer into Videowave. You don't need to use the EMC file system for that purpose.

You do need to use the EMC file system to handle detected scenes because scenes are not separate files.

They are segments of a file that are tracked by EMC. Windows knows nothing about them.

In the EMC system you can ignore the scenes and drag the entire file -- the thumbnail with the downward arrow -- into the timeline or storyboard. If you do that, then the file goes into one frame of the storyboard.

If you select the individual clips and drag them into the timeline or storyboard, then each clip or scene goes into a separate storyboard frame. You can save time by dragging more than one clip into Videowave at a time by selecting them while holding down the shift key or control key.

You saved a Videowave "project" - a DMSM file in a specified locaton. The DMSM file "knows" where your video files are located, and Windows is configured to open Videowave when you click on a DMSM file. That is, DMSM files are associated with Videowave. That's why everything seemed to work by double clicking the EMC8 file.

First, it's NOT an EMC 'file system'. I assume you mean you don't like the Media Selector. IT IS EXPLORER with a custom interface.

You do need to use the EMC file system to handle detected scenes because scenes are not separate files.

Yes, that is exactly how it worked in version 7, but you have to use the SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR. Media Selector just presents the user with thumbnails where the camcorder was stopped/started (digital camcorders) or for analog, where the scenes seem to change. Media Selector just keeps an internal 'list' of where the scenes start and stop. This is something that has been programmed into Media Selector.

The 'button' under TOOLS is what will 'show' the Media Selector. LOL So you got what you were suppose to get - the Media Selector. Don't ask why there is a difference between this one and the 'Media Selector' when you hit ADD VIDEO/IMAGE. They look the same to me. For whatever reason, the programmers decided they would have different functions.

Technically, they ARE the same dialog box.

When I import video I specify a location on my drive where to save the files. Once it's done the only thing that shows up in that spacific location is the WMV File.

Re-reading your original post... When you import a file, Videowave does NOT include that file in its own .dmsm file, but rather just keeps a 'pointer' to that file and a list of things that you have edited. This keeps the Videowave files smaller, but you CAN NOT move the original files. Otherwise Videowave will not be able to find the files the next time to load that project. If this happens, you will get a dialog box asking you to find the files. As Bruce pointed out, you can save the Videoave project anywhere on the hard drive you like. The data in the Videdowave project file just 'points' to the other files.

First, it's NOT an EMC 'file system'. I assume you mean you don't like the Media Selector. IT IS EXPLORER with a custom interface.

Yes, that is exactly how it worked in version 7, but you have to use the SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR. Media Selector just presents the user with thumbnails where the camcorder was stopped/started (digital camcorders) or for analog, where the scenes seem to change. Media Selector just keeps an internal 'list' of where the scenes start and stop. This is something that has been programmed into Media Selector.

You are absolutely right. It is not a "file system". It is not like NTFS or FAT or FAT32 or HPFS. Those are file systems. Thanks for the clarification. It's hard to help out when the problems aren't presented with the proper terminology. At least you were able to read through the error and help out.

Follow up question -- In the Tools area of the Task Pane there is a tool button with the text "SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR". I think that's what you said to use -- "use the SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR". When I select the button, a window with the heading MEDIA SELECTOR opens up. You also mentioned the Media Selector. I expected the tool button to open the SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR, a tool that would help select show media. So, I wonder why I got the MEDIA SELECTOR instead of the SHOW MEDIA SELECTOR.

Thank you.

You can save your EMC 8 projects, anywhere you want. You just have to tell the program where you want them saved.

Thank you.

I don't understand what you are asking. If you imported the video (what is the source?) and you stored it in the location you specified what more do you expect?

Archived