A New DVDit?

NBK

Question

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A Beta tester?

If I had been beta testing some version of Dvdit Pro, I wouldn´t have been allowed to tell even that little, no something quite different, I am waiting for the latest release of Avid Dvd, brought together with Media Composer 3,51, to see if anything new has happened and if some old bugs are fixed.

If I had been beta testing some version of Dvdit Pro, I wouldn´t have been allowed to tell even that little, no something quite different, I am waiting for the latest release of Avid Dvd, brought together with Media Composer 3,51, to see if anything new has happened and if some old bugs are fixed.

Oh OK. I had heard that DVDitProHD was essentially "dead" software - i.e. no plans for future improvements, extended features or bug revisions. Even the release of the 6.4 revisions was sort of handled haphazardly with previous customers having to obtain it through emails etc. - no download site, etc. Your comment stirred some hope. I think that the corporate philosophy is that by adding some more features that are in Sonic Scenarist into DVDitProHD - it would take away from their high-end line so we are sort of stuck with what we have with no future changes.

The version of Avid Dvd brought together with 3,0 was called version 6,0, that was actually 6,4 1B01A

The version delivered together with 3,51 is named Avid Dvd 6,1 , there are also rumours about a version 6,2 but , as said, time will tell, I´ll let you all know of course.

The version of Avid Dvd brought together with 3,0 was called version 6,0, that was actually 6,4 1B01A

The version delivered together with 3,51 is named Avid Dvd 6,1 , there are also rumours about a version 6,2 but , as said, time will tell, I´ll let you all know of course.

I would not hold my breath on any new version as there has been only 2 official releases of DVDit HD Pro 6.3 and 6.4 in about 2 1/2 years. So taking that time line maybe next year. :rolleyes: Having emailed with Scott about various issues long ago, I got the feeling that Avid versions got first priority and DVDit was pretty much when they can get to it. Heck even 6.4 still has bugs in it that have not been addressed. I've pretty much moved on to use the Adobe CS4 suite since I was using Premiere anyway. If there is a new release, will it be an update or upgrade?

I would not hold my breath on any new version ..........

I am with you on that one, Plee.

The story about the "update/upgrade" is as follows.

Avid has previously been "Dongle" protected.

The earlier "special" Avid versions have had to have some code inserted to allow them to work with the Dongle.

With the release of Media Composer 3.5, Avid offered 1. Dongle protection, as before or 2. Software activation.

Roxio now has to supply 2 versions to Avid. The regular one known as AvidDVD vers. 6.0, and a newer one AvidDVD vers. 6.1

The software is exactly the same as far as authoring goes.

Then, as Tomas said, "there are also rumours about a version 6.2". The keyword is RUMOURS

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by drbgaijin

From the readme that came together with the disc, dated June 2008 so that is an old readme in that case but the version number is new, as I have installed now, I have no old readme to compare with, here we go

Changed in Version 6.0

Avid DVD by Sonic v6.0 includes the following enhancements or fixes:

ï Added support for elementary AVC stream import, preview, and pass through.

ï Added support for elementary VC-1 stream import, preview, and pass through.

ï Added support for 8 channel WAV audio output for BD.

ï Added support for BD-50.

ï Added support for BD-R v2.

ï Added support for BD-RE v3.

ï Updated MPEG-2 encoder.

ï Updated Sony CMF output to version .92 for replicator compatibility.

ï Increased support for Vista 32 and Vista 64.

ï Improved photoshop file handling on some Vista computers, where import and usage was

extremely slow.

ï Fixed bug where all WAV audio was being transcoded for BD burns.

ï Improved project size estimation.

ï Fixed ìset highlightî button numbering issues.

ï Fixed bug where Blu-ray menus were being rendered in Standard Definition following

simulation.

ï Fixed bug where temp files/transcodes could not be larger than 4 GB on some RAID drives.

ï Clearer QT menu processing.

ï Fixed issue where some program files would cause an ìEnd of Fileî error when outputting

to Blu-ray Disc.

ï Fixed issue with transcoding of files on Windows Vista.

ï Added Blu-ray output.

ï Fixed DLT output issue where projects smaller than 4.7 GB would prompt for two DLTS.

- Fixed transcoding issue where audio that was 1 frame longer than video would prompt a

transcode.

This is exactly the same as the older readme for AvidDVD6.0

It is also the same as the "latest" DVDitPro HD as follows

DVDitProHD 6.4 641B03A

6.4 changes

• Added support for elementary AVC stream import, preview, and pass through.

• Added support for elementary VC-1 stream import, preview, and pass through.

• Added support for 8 channel WAV audio output for BD.

• Added support for BD-50.

• Added support for BD-R v2.

• Added support for BD-RE v3.

• Updated MPEG-2 encoder.

• Updated Sony CMF output to version .92 for replicator compatibility.

• Increased support for Vista 32 and Vista 64.

• Improved photoshop file handling on some Vista computers, where import and usage was extremely slow.

• Fixed bug where all WAV audio was being transcoded for BD burns.

• Improved project size estimation.

• Fixed “set highlight” button numbering issues.

6.3.1 changes

• Fixed bug where Blu-ray menus were being rendered in Standard Definition following simulation.

• Fixed bug where temp files/transcodes could not be larger than 4 GB on some RAID drives.

• Clearer QT menu processing.

• Fixed issue where some program files would cause an “End of File” error when outputting to Blu-ray Disc.

• Fixed issue with transcoding of files on Windows Vista.

6.3 changes

• Added Blu-ray output.

• Fixed DLT output issue where projects smaller than 4.7 GB would prompt for two DLTS.

• Fixed transcoding issue where audio that was 1 frame longer than video would prompt a transcode.

So nothing new at all!

Except, as I have mentioned earlier.... possibly it can work together with MC 3.5 - software activated (as distinct from the Dongle protected version)

Regards,

Douglas

So, I have just opened up the package and done the install, version number is 6,1 641B39A will do some tests

So how are the "Tests" going, Tomas?

Copying and pasting an old "ReadMe file" are hardly what I would call tests.

There are probably a lot of readers who have followed your build-up in this thread who, like me, want to know what the differences/ bug fixes. etc you have found or not found!

You have also mentioned version 6.2 somehwere.

Do you have any further news about that rumour?

Hope to get a definite answer about the results of your tests.

It may make a difference to me as to whether I begin a serious look at some of the new altenatives to DVDitProHD/AvidDVD that are beginning to pop up.

I believe that one of the members of this forum, TV John, has been exploring one of the alternatives.

Regards,

Douglas

Sorry, been busy doing lots of other stuff related to editing.

Anyhow, made 2 dvd discs yesterday and one bd today, there are still things that needs to be fixed like the reencoding probs when using preencoded dvd files, preencoded bd files runs straight through.

Also I get uncorrect aspect in my animated buttons when coming from a QT ref in Avid, coming from a preencoded file gives me correct aspect.

My old 6,3 version on my XP sys with wmp 10 is still my main editor, this also because the ridicolous bd export to gi file instead of the export to iso that is the fact with 6,3 and bd.

We really need a new version for dvd and bd creation I think, if not Sonic will create one for us, we might be looking at other alternatives, yes I have had some private conversation with John, seems to be an interesting app he has began to test.

Also I get uncorrect aspect in my animated buttons when coming from a QT ref in Avid, coming from a preencoded file gives me correct aspect.

Is this something new in 6.1? Or did you have this problem in 6.0? (NB. I am referring to AvidDVD6.0 and 6.1 - NOT DVDitProHD version numbers.)

My old 6,3 version on my XP sys with wmp 10 is still my main editor, this also because the ridicolous bd export to gi file instead of the export to iso that is the fact with 6,3 and bd.

I thought the same, at first, but for my workflow there are no problems using the .gi files.

if not Sonic will create one for us, we might be looking at other alternatives, yes I have had some private conversation with John, seems to be an interesting app he has began to test.

I have been testing one from Pegasys (TMPGEnc developers) - I think it is the same one as John is testing.

It looks very good BUT it falls short for my needs. There are only 2 Subtitle tracks available and I don't think there is any possibility to add audio subtracks (yet).

I will need to look at menu creation a little closer there too. At the moment it does not seem to suit my productions.

But Sonic is definitely losing ground !

The "traditional" lack of support has now been replaced by almost no support at all.

The silence about any possible new versions means that even staunch supporters are now leaving to find alternatives.

Of course, this may be part of the Sonic's plan. Who knows?

I am not leaving yet, as I depend on both subtitles and audio subtracks.

Adobe is too expensive..... having to buy all the other stuff I don't need to be able to get at Encore.

According to what I have read, Encore is certainly not a reliable product yet........ either.

Regards,

Douglas

Sorry, been busy doing lots of other stuff related to editing.

Anyhow, made 2 dvd discs yesterday and one bd today, there are still things that needs to be fixed like the reencoding probs when using preencoded dvd files, preencoded bd files runs straight through.

We really need a new version for dvd and bd creation I think, if not Sonic will create one for us, we might be looking at other alternatives, yes I have had some private conversation with John, seems to be an interesting app he has began to test.

mjolnarn

I was under the impression that you have been burning successfully for years!

One of your quotes to my problem was...

"very good that it works as well for you as for me John, I can see that Encore is mentioned, I have tried that of course and even created some H 264 bd discs but I see nog big favors in doing that, I haven´t had a bad disc from Dvdit Pro hd during the last years, it all works very well, you must take care of your editing sys of course."

Maybe there's something wrong with your edit sys? Lol

I have, my 6,3 with preencoded files from CS3 runs like a hot knife in butter, I do not like version 6,4

Long time / No post...

Recently, I've had some problems with DVDitHD V6.4. I have had a project corrupt itself upon closure, opening it up revealed an "untitled project"

Also I have created a couple of BD-R coasters, good pix, no audio. lately, I've seen almost no company participation in these discussion boards.

The annoying "requirement" for separate images for BD-R and BD-RE.

Limited effects possible for menu text.

Unpredictable transcoding.

Limited audio PCM settings, especially for BD.

I have purchased The TmpGE product, its cost is quite modest, and while it does have some shortcommings as Douglas mentions, there are more than a few advantages, .ie singular BD image creation, a very diverse transcoding features set, especially when paired with TmpGe Express 4.

I have seen all 4 cores of my AMD 940 at 100% during encodes, with reduced encode times as a result.

If Pegasys puts a bit more professional features into Authoring Works 4 they will have a killer app. While Media Chance has a good, powerful authoring app, the lack of BD capability dooms the program.

Edited by Tvjohn

To add to what I already have written, I " tried" to create a dvd disc yesterday from a ready encoded file with 6,4 , the app wanted to reencode as usual.

Also, as usual, I added that file to my old 6,3 instead, runs, as always, perfect, no reencoding.

And, yes, if the question shows up, I needed 2 pass encoding for this project.

I have been testing one from Pegasys (TMPGEnc developers) - I think it is the same one as John is testing.

It looks very good BUT it falls short for my needs. There are only 2 Subtitle tracks available and I don't think there is any possibility to add audio subtracks (yet).

I will need to look at menu creation a little closer there too. At the moment it does not seem to suit my productions.

But Sonic is definitely losing ground !

The "traditional" lack of support has now been replaced by almost no support at all.

I made my first bd discs with popup menus yesterday with the app that you mentioned, tried both from preencoded files and Qtrefs directly out of Avid, they looked and played very good and the menus worked excellent, as I haven´t so much needs for many subtitle tracks, I am concentrating my bd creation to this app now, Sonic might lose me as a customer because of that the app never gets updated.

While there a a certain elegance to authoring in DVDit, having to encode separate images for BD and BD-RE is a royal pain. TmpGe AW4 is really strong with encode options .ie 2pass VBR, very high quality audio capability (pcm audio up to 96kbs)

We have been left quite alone here since Scott left, traffic is virtually non-existant.

Hi

I am planning to move to Apple soon, since it is apparent that Roxio has abandoned DVDit!!!

NBK

I was one of the first starting to use Dvdit Pro HD for bluray editing I think, it has served me well and I have said many good things about the app on several forums.

But as media edting tech changes, it is called evaluation I think, and Roxio doesn´t seem to have any thoughts of evaluate the app, it is time to evaluate myself by using a new app that is more evaluated.

Hi

I am planning to move to Apple soon, since it is apparent that Roxio has abandoned DVDit!!!

NBK

Thinking of Apple too but since there is no Bluray support, I was wondering if anyone has used any of the other Bluray authoring programs with success. I never had much luck with consistently being able to burn BD's with DVDit Pro. At the price of those discs, I'd like to be ALOT closer to 100% burn success that DVDit Pro ever got me.

...I do wish Apple had a solution...

Edited by ckelly33