• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VOB files

flwolf2002

Question

I have a camcorder that records on minidisks. The files on the Harddrive end up being:

-*.VOB

-*.IFO

-*.BUP

Can anyone tell me how to import these files in EMC 8 and how to create an actual DVD from them?

I'd appreciate any help!

Wolf

flwolf@usa.net

12 answers to this question

Dear Gary,

I'm about at the end of my nerv... :)

I was able to convert / rename the files to *.mpg, as you had suggested. Howver, what ever I try, I can't put a movie together in Easy Media Creator 8. I also tried the Windows Movie Maker, whith which I had successfully created slide shows with titles, music, etc. before.

I have 2 mini disks from the camera. The first disk has 2 chapters, a short one and a very long one (about half an hour). The second disk has only one half hour chapter. I would like to put both on one DVD disk (DVD+R), but with titles, transitions and background music.

If it's not too annoying to you, would you help me with this? If not, I'll understand. It's not even for myself, it's for a friend who talked me into doing this, but I'm getting more and more frustrated! I even tried to just copy the content of the mini disk onto a regular DVD+R, but it doesn't play on my regular DVD player, just in the PC. Please let me know...

Wolf

no problem... let us know if you get working ok.

Dear Gary,

I'm about at the end of my nerv... :)

I was able to convert / rename the files to *.mpg, as you had suggested. Howver, what ever I try, I can't put a movie together in Easy Media Creator 8. I also tried the Windows Movie Maker, whith which I had successfully created slide shows with titles, music, etc. before.

I have 2 mini disks from the camera. The first disk has 2 chapters, a short one and a very long one (about half an hour). The second disk has only one half hour chapter. I would like to put both on one DVD disk (DVD+R), but with titles, transitions and background music.

If it's not too annoying to you, would you help me with this? If not, I'll understand. It's not even for myself, it's for a friend who talked me into doing this, but I'm getting more and more frustrated! I even tried to just copy the content of the mini disk onto a regular DVD+R, but it doesn't play on my regular DVD player, just in the PC. Please let me know...

BTW, the files on the 1st disk are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

Wolf

I have a camcorder that records on minidisks. The files on the Harddrive end up being:

-*.VOB

-*.IFO

-*.BUP

Can anyone tell me how to import these files in EMC 8 and how to create an actual DVD from them?

I'd appreciate any help!

Wolf

flwolf@usa.net

You should be able to capture them from the mini disc. Make sure that the disc is finalized before trying.

In version 7.5, I would usually be able to capture those mini discs, from my daughter's video camera, by putting them in the DVD burner in my computer. If I couldn't, it would usually work it I copied the disc to the hard drive and capture from there. Capturing from the hard drive is not an option in version 8. It is a bug that may not be fixed. :)

A VOB file is essentially an mpg2 file. Some people have been able to just copy the VOB files to their hard drive and then rename them to mpg. Those files can then be added directly to Video Wave. This does not work for everyone.

Try what GPB suggested first.

-*.VOB

-*.IFO

-*.BUP

I'd appreciate any help!

Wolf

flwolf@usa.net

I imported the file(s) into Windows Movie Maker and when that didn't work, also into Roxio 8. The import takes a very long time and at the end, nothing works anyway. I'm absolutely frustrated with this entire crap! If it was just me that's involved, I would have tossed this project already days ago!

Why do none of these DVD programs work with my files? Again, the original files on the mini disks are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

Do you know these file formats? I did rename each *.VOB to *.mpg, as you suggested, but even so, I can't get anything to work.

What's with the VIDEO_TS.VOB file? It doesn't seem to be a video file, but I renamed it to a mpg as well. Was that wrong?

Thanks for all your help!

I imported the file(s) into Windows Movie Maker and when that didn't work, also into Roxio 8. The import takes a very long time and at the end, nothing works anyway. I'm absolutely frustrated with this entire crap! If it was just me that's involved, I would have tossed this project already days ago!

Why do none of these DVD programs work with my files? Again, the original files on the mini disks are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

Do you know these file formats? I did rename each *.VOB to *.mpg, as you suggested, but even so, I can't get anything to work.

What's with the VIDEO_TS.VOB file? It doesn't seem to be a video file, but I renamed it to a mpg as well. Was that wrong?

Thanks for all your help!

Here is a link to a site explaining the DVD file structure:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

After copying the VOB files to your hard drive and renaming them the filenames should look like this

VTS_01_1.VOB = VTS_01_1.mpg

etc

All the VTS_01_? make up the video files for a title. Since no single VOB can be larger then 1GB it "spills over" into another VOB.

The VTS_TS.VOB file the first video file that plays when the DVD starts up

You should be able to play any VOB file (renamed to an mpg extension) with Windows Media player. Usually you can also load the mpg file into Videowave without any problems.

Perhaps you could describe exactly what you are doing and someone may be able to help you.

Ok, let's start over....

Put the miniDVD into your computer's DVD burner.

Run Media Import

Click on VIDEO

Does the drive show up in the list? Can you select the drive?

Select the drive

The 'movies' on the disc should then be listed.

Select all the clips or just the one(s) you want

Choose MPEG output

Type in a folder where you want the files.

Change the file prefix if needed.

Click IMPORT FILE button

In the screenshot, just follow TOP TO BOTTOM.

This is how you SHOULD import the disc. If this does not work for any reason, then you can COPY the .VOB files to your HARD DRIVE and rename those files with the MPG extension. DO NOT try to rename the files on the DVD.

To make sure you are actually changing the extension, you must change the Windows View File Types.

Open MY COMPUTER

Click on TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS

Click on the VIEW TAB

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click OK

Open Explorer

Navigate to the VOB files on the hard drive

RIGHT mouse click on a VOB file

Choose RENAME

Then change ONLY the .VOB to .MPG

That should do it.

post-49-1148396260.jpg

Thanks for your tips. The rename tip sounds great, and I was able to rename the file to *.mpg, however, the DVD program(s) still see it as a VOB file. (....*.mpg.vob). I wish, it was that easy! Can someone else help me in converting a VOB file into a format that works in either Roxio 8 or Windows Movie Maker? I'm kinda desperate at this point... :)

You were close. Just that you added what you thought was an extension, really wasn't. Follow this EXACTLY:

Open My Computer

Click the menu item TOOLS and then FOLDER OPTIONS

Click on the VIEW TAB

under advanced settings, UNCHECK 'Hide extensions for known files types'

Click OK

This will let you see the REAL extension of a file which was being hidden. Now go back to the file that you had renamed xxxxx.mpg.vob and remove the last part (.vob). That should work. You should get a warning like 'Do you really want to change the files extension?' or something like that. Just click YES.

Thanks a bunch. You da greatest! I think I can get it going after all :)

You were close. Just that you added what you thought was an extension, really wasn't. Follow this EXACTLY:

Open My Computer

Click the menu item TOOLS and then FOLDER OPTIONS

Click on the VIEW TAB

under advanced settings, UNCHECK 'Hide extensions for known files types'

Click OK

This will let you see the REAL extension of a file which was being hidden. Now go back to the file that you had renamed xxxxx.mpg.vob and remove the last part (.vob). That should work. You should get a warning like 'Do you really want to change the files extension?' or something like that. Just click YES.

Archived