Why does Toast re-encode my medi!?

frlane

Question

Hi All,

I am trying to make the simplest Blu Ray ever. I have a 3 minute clip that just needs to be on a Blu Ray. Because of this, I tried to just use Toast instead of messing with that buggy, nast, terrible program Encore. I first just brought the .mov into Toast and let Toast encode it and burn it using the Best setting. The video worked, but looked really bad. So, I then tried encoding it myself with Compressor. I peeked at the video and it looked pretty good, so I brought the M2V and AC3 into Toast and burned the Blu Ray. The only problem is, Toast started Re-Encoding my files! This made the video look worse than before!

So, how do I use my pre-encoded videos withot Toast re-encoding?

3 answers to this question

I don't have any experience with the Blu-ray features but you can click the More button to access the custom encoder settings window. There you'll find an option to Never re-encode. Also it may help to change the encoder setting from MPEG 4 to MPEG 2.

i have the same prob...why does toast reprocess...i think that is why the quality is degraded...i don't know how to turn that option off too

I'm fairly certain that a blu-ray disc (that is, one which will play on a set-top Bluray player) isn't just a BD data disc with some mpeg files on it. I think h264 is the normal blu-ray codec.