• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

cutting room

hafcanadian

Question

I was trying to figure out how to cut unwanted sections of video out of the middle of scenes with Videowave's video trimmer, but apparently it only cuts from either end. In this forum, I was led to http:saknis.net/Roxio/V8-V9.htm where it was demonstrated how to delete pieces from the middle.

I had everything going on a test run on my movie, according to the instructions, until the second "Split" which was supposed to mark the endpoint of my unwanted section on the timeline. Hitting the Split icon at that point did not create a new box in the middle to delete as per the instructions, but rather a pop-up window appeared saying, "the selected item cannot be split at that position because one or more of the resulting items was too small."

I'm trying to pare down a 140 minute travelogue to something less tiring to watch, by whittling out a lot of short sections of repetitive and boring shots, and some places with poor shooting technique and junky or jittery shots. What am I doing wrong or why am I getting that pop-up? Am I not stretching out the timeline far enough, or are my attempted cut outs just too short in time for Videowave to handle?

Seems like Video Trimmer would be the logical tool for what must be a very common procedure like this, but for some reason it apparently wasn't engineered to do anything other than nip off beginnings or endings, a fact that certainly amazed me for what appears to be an otherwise efficient program.

Thanks for any advice. The mini-disks of this trip have been sitting around for nearly 3 years waiting for a program good enough to get them into my computer for editing and regurgitation onto a full size DVD disk. Now that I've gotten around to doing the job, I'm stymied by not being able to clip out the garbage stuff like I thought "editing" was almost all about.

4 answers to this question

I was trying to figure out how to cut unwanted sections of video out of the middle of scenes with Videowave's video trimmer, but apparently it only cuts from either end. In this forum, I was led to http:saknis.net/Roxio/V8-V9.htm where it was demonstrated how to delete pieces from the middle.

I had everything going on a test run on my movie, according to the instructions, until the second "Split" which was supposed to mark the endpoint of my unwanted section on the timeline. Hitting the Split icon at that point did not create a new box in the middle to delete as per the instructions, but rather a pop-up window appeared saying, "the selected item cannot be split at that position because one or more of the resulting items was too small."

I'm trying to pare down a 140 minute travelogue to something less tiring to watch, by whittling out a lot of short sections of repetitive and boring shots, and some places with poor shooting technique and junky or jittery shots. What am I doing wrong or why am I getting that pop-up? Am I not stretching out the timeline far enough, or are my attempted cut outs just too short in time for Videowave to handle?

Seems like Video Trimmer would be the logical tool for what must be a very common procedure like this, but for some reason it apparently wasn't engineered to do anything other than nip off beginnings or endings, a fact that certainly amazed me for what appears to be an otherwise efficient program.

Thanks for any advice. The mini-disks of this trip have been sitting around for nearly 3 years waiting for a program good enough to get them into my computer for editing and regurgitation onto a full size DVD disk. Now that I've gotten around to doing the job, I'm stymied by not being able to clip out the garbage stuff like I thought "editing" was almost all about.

This post is also helpful; the "commercials" being "zapped out" in your scenario, of course, being the unwanted "middle" sections....

You will get that message if you haven't selected the correct clip. Just moving the blue line doesn't select the clip. There should be an orange/yellow line around the clip when it is selected. You can only split a clip if selected. Edited by ggrussell

You will get that message if you haven't selected the correct clip. Just moving the blue line doesn't select the clip. There should be an orange/yellow line around the clip when it is selected. You can only split a clip if selected.

:rolleyes: Thanks. That worked. Didn't dawn on me I had to select the clip (again) before the second split; not sure if that note was in the instruction, but it sure got past me if it was.

Preciate it!