• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Which CPU or Dell computer is fastest in rendering?

Lynn Lynn

It appears to me that the Windows Task Manager indicates that video creation is CPU-bound with respect to time required. I have 3GB RAM, and Task Manager shows that usage is generally only a small fraction of the memory available. But CPU usage can climb very high. So I figure that my next computer must have the CPU that is the fastest at the tasks called for by Creator 2009. Would this CPU be the Intel i7? What else show I be looking for if I want the fastest video creation speed?

It appears to me that the Windows Task Manager indicates that video creation is CPU-bound with respect to time required. I have 3GB RAM, and Task Manager shows that usage is generally only a small fraction of the memory available. But CPU usage can climb very high. So I figure that my next computer must have the CPU that is the fastest at the tasks called for by Creator 2009. Would this CPU be the Intel i7? What else show I be looking for if I want the fastest video creation speed?

Get what you can afford for CPU, memory and especially video card(s). Note that a 2 or 3 to 1 render ratio (time to render to length of project) is very good. In some cases where there is not a lot of movement, then you may approach a 1:1 ratio.

If you are working with Blu-ray or AVCHD, then that is more like 20:1. I haven't heard of anyone getting faster than that.

Get a top of the line gaming machine ($2000-$5000). How much do you want to spend for a relatively small increase in convenience? I bought a laptop to use when my desktop is working away. :) It was cheaper.

Get what you can afford for CPU, memory and especially video card(s). Note that a 2 or 3 to 1 render ratio (time to render to length of project) is very good. In some cases where there is not a lot of movement, then you may approach a 1:1 ratio.

If you are working with Blu-ray or AVCHD, then that is more like 20:1. I haven't heard of anyone getting faster than that.

Get a top of the line gaming machine ($2000-$5000). How much do you want to spend for a relatively small increase in convenience? I bought a laptop to use when my desktop is working away. :) It was cheaper.

Would this CPU be the Intel i7?

Lynn Lynn never stated what her computer specs are, did she?

Are you comparing the processor in your signature to a Intel i7 as a "relatively small increase in convenience" (time to render)??

cd

Lynn Lynn never stated what her computer specs are, did she?

Are you comparing the processor in your signature to a Intel i7 as a "relatively small increase in convenience" (time to render)??

cd

Not comparing with my three year old (or 4) run of the mill not gaming computer with a new one with an Intel i7. There are too many other factors to consider. Which i7? What does the person want to do SD or HD. With the results from the Intel web site, I'm not running out specifically to buy a computer with an i7 CPU. The time differences for SD for me is just about a bathroom and a refreshment break. Since I do my AVCHD files overnight, I'm not sure if I'd notice the fact that the i7 finished so many percent sooner.

I don't think it matters because the OP hasn't been back since she posted.

post-58-1244987368.jpg

post-58-1244987377.jpg

Edited by sknis

Not comparing with my three year old (or 4) run of the mill not gaming computer with a new one with an Intel i7. There are too many other factors to consider. Which i7? What does the person want to do SD or HD. With the results from the Intel web site, I'm not running out specifically to buy a computer with an i7 CPU. The time differences for SD for me is just about a bathroom and a refreshment break. Since I do my AVCHD files overnight, I'm not sure if I'd notice the fact that the i7 finished so many percent sooner.

I don't think it matters because the OP hasn't been back since she posted.

It sounds like your comparing..

Built on the 1366 Socket, I only see four i7 CPU's to choose from, Dell might only offer two.

Lynn Lynn, was asking a CPU question because she was buying a new PC, not running out specifically to upgrade a computer with a i7 CPU.

I've never built or upgraded a pc with a new CPU, I didn't notice a percent difference!

I'm sure you would too.

cd

At a $1000 or more, the Intel i7 processor should be faster !! :lol::lol: I'm hoping to test the newest AMD processor soon (for a fourth that cost) and I'll see how it compares to the attachments you posted Steve.

Frank...

How much cheaper? :unsure:

Of course they're faster, they're Intel! :lol:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail $279.99

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601950 - Retail $569.99

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601965 - Retail $999.99

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail $1,029.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=Core%20i7

cd

How much cheaper? :unsure:

Of course they're faster, they're Intel! :lol:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail $279.99

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601950 - Retail $569.99

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601965 - Retail $999.99

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail $1,029.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=Core%20i7

cd

The i7 920 and 950 aren't that big a deal IMO, but when you talk about the 965 & 975 now that's a whole different story. And the cost certainly indicates it too !! :lol:

"Of course they're faster, they're Intel! " :P

But what's up with these tests ???

Frank...

Edited by REDWAGON

I bought a Dell I7 940 processor with 8 megs. I rendered a 115 sec project made up of 720p video (mp4s) and 2 mpix images. The output specs were Blu-ray AVC SP (ntsc), 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, 11.72 mbps, interlaced AVC/H.264.....the most demanding I could find. The render took 375 secs which is about a ratio of 3.26 to one. I guess you could bump the sample rate which should slow down the process.

The Roxio product uses all the capabilities of the multi cores for rendering and the system memory usage is between 2.5 - 3 gigs. I can't tell if the UVD processor on the video card is being used for playback.....processor usage is low but that doesn't mean the UVD is being used or not.