• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

2 layers on 1 track

itsme51

Question

I saved an audio instrumentl on layer 1. I saved an audio vocal on layer 2. Overlayed 2 over 1. It works great as far as music and vocal playing together except that for some reason the vocal is about 2 seconds behind the music. I have recorded the vocal several times and experience the same problem each time. Is there a way I can adjust the timing so vocal is in sync with music? It seems there should be a way to slide the vocal or the music forward or backward a few seconds in a timeline or somethign but if so I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

15 answers to this question

I'm a Newbie. Hope I am using the correct "computer words" to explain what I am doing. I am working in EMC 7.5. I copied a wav file into Sound Editor on Layer 1. With the Track open and Layer 1 open and visible on the monitor I plugged in my microphone, clicked Record in Sound Editor, recorded my vocal and it apparently recorded directly to Layer 2 (which I thought was great). When I play the track, both layers play together, music and vocal, but the vocal is off by about 2 seconds. I have played the music separately and on my lyric sheet marked the exact second various words are supposed to hit the music to be sure my timing is correct. As I sing, the lyrics seem to hit the music at all the right places throughout the song. And I always end exaclty with the music as I am singing. So I just don't understand why it doesn't play back correctly. thanks,

Susan

Susan, is the vocal behind or ahead of the music? Have you tried sliding Layer 1 or Layer 2, one way or the other, to make the lyrics match exactly where it is supposed to hit? If you hold your cursor over one of the layers down below, you should get a 4 headed arrow, which will allow you to slide the track to the left or right.

Susan, is the vocal behind or ahead of the music? Have you tried sliding Layer 1 or Layer 2, one way or the other, to make the lyrics match exactly where it is supposed to hit? If you hold your cursor over one of the layers down below, you should get a 4 headed arrow, which will allow you to slide the track to the left or right.

HI,

Thanks for responding. The vocal is ahead. I think I think ? I may have done that but I'll give it another try. Thank you.

I have been expiermenting a little with what Susan is trying to do. As Bruce suggested you can move the Mike audio track back and forth by just highlighing it and when the 4 (north, south, east and west) arrow comes up just move it.

However, when I opened an audio file in track-1 (all instumental) and then clciked on the "record" button, it took just a little time for the mike to begin recording as I spoke. This was a very slight time. BTW, I inserted the mike audio somewhere (15 seconds or so) past where the instumental begins or starts. Then I went back and moved the mike audio track (track-2) back to the beginning of the audio-1 track.

Well my mike track-2 was just as Susan suggested, just a little bit off of the start of the track-1 audio. What I suspect is there is a very slight time differential between when you click on RECORD and when the audio actuall starts. This is just a suggestion.

However, when I left the mike audio track-2 where I inserted it (15 seconds or so to the right of track-1) and moved the track-1 instrumental track-1 to line up with the track-2 mike audio, I got it to be almost perfect. I had to expand the audio tracks to see exactly where i wanted to line them both up however

Do you suppose that if one did it that way and then deleted or removed everything to the left of where they both lined up, that it would work ? Mine seemed to work that way.

Frank....

I have been expiermenting a little with what Susan is trying to do. As Bruce suggested you can move the Mike audio track back and forth by just highlighing it and when the 4 (north, south, east and west) arrow comes up just move it.

However, when I opened an audio file in track-1 (all instumental) and then clciked on the "record" button, it took just a little time for the mike to begin recording as I spoke. This was a very slight time. BTW, I inserted the mike audio somewhere (15 seconds or so) past where the instumental begins or starts. Then I went back and moved the mike audio track (track-2) back to the beginning of the audio-1 track.

Well my mike track-2 was just as Susan suggested, just a little bit off of the start of the track-1 audio. What I suspect is there is a very slight time differential between when you click on RECORD and when the audio actuall starts. This is just a suggestion.

However, when I left the mike audio track-2 where I inserted it (15 seconds or so to the right of track-1) and moved the track-1 instrumental track-1 to line up with the track-2 mike audio, I got it to be almost perfect. I had to expand the audio tracks to see exactly where i wanted to line them both up however

Do you suppose that if one did it that way and then deleted or removed everything to the left of where they both lined up, that it would work ? Mine seemed to work that way.

Frank....

If there was a lag before the mic recording began, I would remove that dead space first, then play with it to line it up right, just as you did. It should work as you said.

If there was a lag before the mic recording began, I would remove that dead space first, then play with it to line it up right, just as you did. It should work as you said.

thank you Frank and grandpabruce for your discussion of this situation. I really appreciate your taking the itme to experiement with it. I was beginning to think the there was something defective in Roxio or the music I had recorded but Frank may have hit it on the head with the lag time suggestion. Wish I could try it right now but I'm at work. Drat, work really cuts into my hobby time! Can't wait to get home to play aorund with this again. thanks for all your input.

susan

Bruce's method of removing the dead space is also a way to eliminate the lag (assuming that was the cause). If you go that route, I suggest that you expand the audio files so you can really see exactly what dead space to remove, especially if the time is very, very short. Other wise it will be almost impossible to see the exact dead space area. After that then move the files to be in sync.

Frank.....

Bruce's method of removing the dead space is also a way to eliminate the lag (assuming that was the cause). If you go that route, I suggest that you expand the audio files so you can really see exactly what dead space to remove, especially if the time is very, very short. Other wise it will be almost impossible to see the exact dead space area. After that then move the files to be in sync.

Frank.....

Sorry I'm so computer illeratate but - what does "expand the audit files"mean and how do it do it? :)

I apologize Susan for not being a little more explicite with my suggestion and word jargon. When you first Open a file in Sound editor it by default shows the track in a certain timing. (Look on the bottomof the track and you will see the timing) If you go to the top of the screen and right underneath the Menu items, there is a little "+" and "-" Icons that you can click on and as I mentioned "expand" or open up the track timing so you see a smaller time. So if you click on the little plus Icon, the track will start opening up a lot wider and the time at the bottom of the track will show a lot smaller increment. That way you can really get precise in just exactly where you want to edit a portion of the track. As you play the audio you will be able to stop it and edit it at a very precise point.

I hope that makes a lot moe sense.

Frank.....

I apologize Susan for not being a little more explicite with my suggestion and word jargon. When you first Open a file in Sound editor it by default shows the track in a certain timing. (Look on the bottomof the track and you will see the timing) If you go to the top of the screen and right underneath the Menu items, there is a little "+" and "-" Icons that you can click on and as I mentioned "expand" or open up the track timing so you see a smaller time. So if you click on the little plus Icon, the track will start opening up a lot wider and the time at the bottom of the track will show a lot smaller increment. That way you can really get precise in just exactly where you want to edit a portion of the track. As you play the audio you will be able to stop it and edit it at a very precise point.

I hope that makes a lot moe sense.

Frank.....

Thank you Frank. That helps me a lot. Despite my abundant lack of knowledge I have actually successfully created a DVD slide show with 130 slides, lots of fun transitions and 5 songs (and used PrintShop and PictureIt for picture editing and artwork). But I won’t tell you how long it took me !!! I am crawling slowly through the learning process regarding computer speak, media software in general and Roxio in particular. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

S

Thank you Frank. That helps me a lot. Despite my abundant lack of knowledge I have actually successfully created a DVD slide show with 130 slides, lots of fun transitions and 5 songs (and used PrintShop and PictureIt for picture editing and artwork). But I won’t tell you how long it took me !!! I am crawling slowly through the learning process regarding computer speak, media software in general and Roxio in particular. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

S

You are already doing something that I have never done. LOL I would record my voice over some music, but even if it was in sync, it wouldn't be good. Well, maybe if it was the blues it would be somewhat okay. :)

What Program ver. are you doing your work on ? A little more information would help in regards to the steps in the program where you placed the separate audio.

Frank....

I'm a Newbie. Hope I am using the correct "computer words" to explain what I am doing. I am working in EMC 7.5. I copied a wav file into Sound Editor on Layer 1. With the Track open and Layer 1 open and visible on the monitor I plugged in my microphone, clicked Record in Sound Editor, recorded my vocal and it apparently recorded directly to Layer 2 (which I thought was great). When I play the track, both layers play together, music and vocal, but the vocal is off by about 2 seconds. I have played the music separately and on my lyric sheet marked the exact second various words are supposed to hit the music to be sure my timing is correct. As I sing, the lyrics seem to hit the music at all the right places throughout the song. And I always end exaclty with the music as I am singing. So I just don't understand why it doesn't play back correctly. thanks,

Susan

You're welcome Susan. That "Crawling along on the learning process" is probably the best way to go. Once you learn a new task it will stay with you forever. And I think Bruce might be pulling your leg when he says he hasn't tried what you are doing. :) Most of these Gurus that hang out on this forum have most likely tried about everything there is to try on these EMC programs. I have learned some of the programing on my own but most of any problems I had along the way to my learning, has been with a lot of help from these guys.

Keep cranking out those great videos and slide shows Susan. You will have a ball :huh:

Frank....

Archived