• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Greyed out 'Import Data from an appendable disc' icon

craigmackintosh125

Question

Hi - I'm new to this forum. I have an Acer Travelmate 4064WLMi (2ghz, 1gb RAM), and bought and downloaded Easy CD Creator 8 suite for it as I've always enjoyed the Roxio interface in previous versions. The DVD/CD burner shows in the device manager as an "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N".

My problem is I cannot write several times to a disk - or even twice. Once it's burned once, even if there's plenty of space left on the disk, and even though I've been careful not to click 'Read Only Disk' when I initially burnt it, I have never been able to add to a disk. No matter what I do, the 'Import Data from an appendable disc' icon is ghosted.

I've previously used several versions of Easy CD Creator, and never had this problem before.

Can anyone help?

Also, I cannot find an email address for Roxio support. Am I blind?

Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

Although not required by V8, the best drill would be to insert the disc then start Classic. The Import Data icon should come on after it examines the disc.

Import the data, then add more files as desired. When burning, always double check that darned Read Only checkbox to make sure it is clear!

Another test would be to use XP burning. I would use RW for testing purposes.

Make sure you Exit Drag to Disc so there is no interference from that.

Use Explorer to Copy/Paste some files to the media. Follow XP prompts to complete the burn.

Eject and reinsert the media and send it a few more files. What happens?

Although not required by V8, the best drill would be to insert the disc then start Classic. The Import Data icon should come on after it examines the disc.

Import the data, then add more files as desired. When burning, always double check that darned Read Only checkbox to make sure it is clear!

Another test would be to use XP burning. I would use RW for testing purposes.

Make sure you Exit Drag to Disc so there is no interference from that.

Use Explorer to Copy/Paste some files to the media. Follow XP prompts to complete the burn.

Eject and reinsert the media and send it a few more files. What happens?

The XP software can't write to DVD's can it?

It's the firmware on your drive. I had the experience of updating my firmware(why?--because an update was announced) on a similar drive that reliably made appendable disks only to find that it would no longer do so. I, like you, was doing everything correctly so I went to the manufacturer's website only to find that my old firmware was no longer available(they delete it whenever a new version comes out). I went to www.cdfreaks.com and looked for the old firmware for drive, found it and installed it. Everything back to normal and it has made appendable disks ever since. Note: people usually say do not flash back to old firmware, but I ignored that.

Ken

Hi - I'm new to this forum. I have an Acer Travelmate 4064WLMi (2ghz, 1gb RAM), and bought and downloaded Easy CD Creator 8 suite for it as I've always enjoyed the Roxio interface in previous versions. The DVD/CD burner shows in the device manager as an "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N".

My problem is I cannot write several times to a disk - or even twice. Once it's burned once, even if there's plenty of space left on the disk, and even though I've been careful not to click 'Read Only Disk' when I initially burnt it, I have never been able to add to a disk. No matter what I do, the 'Import Data from an appendable disc' icon is ghosted.

I've previously used several versions of Easy CD Creator, and never had this problem before.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

I've tried finding firmware, but no luck. This is not helped by the fact that I'm currently travelling in the former east-bloc (see www.wildimages.co.nz/blog), and am on a VERY slow dialup. It's damned frustrating to say the least. Does anyone know where I can get firmware for this drive? Also, does anyone know how I can actually contact someone with a pulse in Roxio support (not 'Roxanne'!).

I too can't seem to find firmware for your model. What about your manufacturer....I guess you've already checked with them---that would most likely be Dell correct?

No, XP does not have built in support for burning to dvd's.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure in the burn dialogue box that there is no check in the box for read only.

post-79-1147888483.jpg

Hi Paul - please read the second paragraph of my initial post carefully.

Looking forward to your help.

Thank you. :)

My apologies for not reading it thru especially while trying to eat my lunch and read other email.

I have a older Samsung drive that would not append for nothing until I updated my firmware. Try The Firmware Page and see if that helps or go to cdfreaks.com and see what they might have for your burner.

Mea culpa!

My apologies for not reading it thru especially while trying to eat my lunch and read other email.

I have a older Samsung drive that would not append for nothing until I updated my firmware. Try The Firmware Page and see if that helps or go to cdfreaks.com and see what they might have for your burner.

Mea culpa!

I've tried finding firmware, but no luck. This is not helped by the fact that I'm currently travelling in the former east-bloc (see www.wildimages.co.nz/blog), and am on a VERY slow dialup. It's damned frustrating to say the least. Does anyone know where I can get firmware for this drive? Also, does anyone know how I can actually contact someone with a pulse in Roxio support (not 'Roxanne'!).

Details on my drive - from DiscInfo are:

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6

VENDOR : HL-DT-ST

MODEL : DVD-RW GWA-4082N

REVISION : CP03

VENDOR SPECIFIC :

LOADING MECHANISM : Tray

SERIAL NUMBER : I've blanked this bit

NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256

BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB

INTERFACE : ATAPI

RPC2 SCHEME : YES