• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

splitting video in Roxio - no easy way?

lastdj

Question

I was shown in sony vegas how to extract a portion of video and it was as easy as drag -copy - render.

Can't seem to figure out if I'm missing something in Creator. And looking through the forums it seems

like it might not be nearly as easy. All I want to do is separate songs in concert video's I've filmed into individual

video's. The first tune seemed easy enough - I just split the video at the end of the song and copied it into a new

project. But what about all the others? Is there no way to just drag over a section, copy it and and save it as a new project

like in sony's video editor?

I am totally new to Roxio and video editing in general for that matter.

So far I've struck out on two seemingly simple tasks in Creator. First I kept getting errors when burning anything to DVD - still haven't

figured that out. Gave up for a while out of frustration. Now this. I've had it since Christmas and haven't done a fraggin thing with it.

Looks like I may have to spend money talking with the techs....

much thanks in advance for any help,

Kevin

3 answers to this question

I was shown in sony vegas how to extract a portion of video and it was as easy as drag -copy - render.

Can't seem to figure out if I'm missing something in Creator. And looking through the forums it seems

like it might not be nearly as easy. All I want to do is separate songs in concert video's I've filmed into individual

video's. The first tune seemed easy enough - I just split the video at the end of the song and copied it into a new

project. But what about all the others? Is there no way to just drag over a section, copy it and and save it as a new project

like in sony's video editor?

I am totally new to Roxio and video editing in general for that matter.

So far I've struck out on two seemingly simple tasks in Creator. First I kept getting errors when burning anything to DVD - still haven't

figured that out. Gave up for a while out of frustration. Now this. I've had it since Christmas and haven't done a fraggin thing with it.

Looks like I may have to spend money talking with the techs....

much thanks in advance for any help,

Kevin

As I understand it, you want to create a separate video for each song from the original video.

In VW add the full video and on the timeline create splits so that each song is in its own segment. Now save your project as VW project file, eg FullVid.dmsm. Now using the FullVid project file, select all the segments you don't want and delete them, save the remaining clip as Song1.dmsm. Load the FullVid again, again delete the clips except the one you want to keep, save a Song2.dmsm. etc.. for all the songs.

OF course instead of saving each song as a project file you could also output (render) it to a mpeg file.

If this is not what you want, you will have to explain it better. There are propably other ways of doing this in VW.

What problems are you having burning a DVD?

As I understand it, you want to create a separate video for each song from the original video.

In VW add the full video and on the timeline create splits so that each song is in its own segment. Now save your project as VW project file, eg FullVid.dmsm. Now using the FullVid project file, select all the segments you don't want and delete them, save the remaining clip as Song1.dmsm. Load the FullVid again, again delete the clips except the one you want to keep, save a Song2.dmsm. etc.. for all the songs.

OF course instead of saving each song as a project file you could also output (render) it to a mpeg file.

If this is not what you want, you will have to explain it better. There are propably other ways of doing this in VW.

What problems are you having burning a DVD?

Hey, thank you much - that did it! I was almost there I guess. I figured out creating splits so from there your advice worked like a breeze!

I also took your advice and rendered them as mpegs at the same time. I assume saving the entire project, splits and all, separates the songs into chapters for a full production also? hope hope.

I have no idea what's going on with the burning. I searched and searched here for the error code but all I seemed to find: ' update the driver' 'bad discs' "space problem' weren't any help. I know my driver is current and the computer (gateway) isn't too old so the burner should be up to snuff. It is an Atapi DVD w DH16w. I've also tried a couple different kinds of discs. One thing I've noticed I'm not sure about is in the Burn To DIsc menu - where it says 'target media' . It's set at: -R DL. I don't know what DL means but it's grayed out so I can't change it to experiment.

The code I'm getting is (failed to start image writing operation - 80004003 error while aborting) It worked for a short 5 minute test first time I tried but ever since... It goes through the entire rendering process without error, but when it gets to the burning stage it bombs. I've also tried doing it in slower speeds but get the same problem every time. I'm trying to burn in MYDVD if there are other places you can burn.

I also get a box sometimes when I open Roxio about using or not using 'ff something?' and have no idea what that is. I just click 'use it just this once'

thanks again. At least I've accomplished something now! Now I just gotta be able to burn what I've done!

Kevin

Edited by lastdj