rxman

No Audio with Easy VHS to DVD for Mac

Question

I have installed the software as well as the update. I actually captured video and audio from my Super 8 Sony camera using the

EZ VHS to DVD. However the audio only showed up in one track even though it was stereo sound. The next day I tried to capture

the video and sound again with another tape. This time there was actually NO sound coming into my MAC.

I checked to make sure all the sound settings were where they should be and they were. I even unplugged the camera and

played the tape through the TV to make sure the tape and the patch cord were both OK. They were.

I think the problem is with the Roxio capture device. Do any of you folks have any ideas or any experience with this problem?

Please post in response.

Thanks,

RXman

• Like 2

I have installed the software as well as the update. I actually captured video and audio from my Super 8 Sony camera using the

EZ VHS to DVD. However the audio only showed up in one track even though it was stereo sound. The next day I tried to capture

the video and sound again with another tape. This time there was actually NO sound coming into my MAC.

I checked to make sure all the sound settings were where they should be and they were. I even unplugged the camera and

played the tape through the TV to make sure the tape and the patch cord were both OK. They were.

I think the problem is with the Roxio capture device. Do any of you folks have any ideas or any experience with this problem?

Please post in response.

Thanks,

RXman

A couple of things to try.

*Update to the 1.0.2 version.

* Change out audio wires. Most super 8 cameras were mono; not stereo. Make sure that you come out of the camera with a Y to split the audio into a left and right and then another Y to get to a plug for your computer. It almost seems like the connection is the problem. It worked on the TV but not on the computer - could that be an issue? Did you use the USB driver from Roxio or some other driver?

Here are some KB articles on the product.

I've had this same problem. I found that if you have the capture device plugged in before Easy VHS to DVD is started, no audio will be outputted. What you need to do is remove the capture device from the USB port, then start Easy VHS to DVD. The software is going to prompt you to insert the capture device. Once you do that, now you can capture audio. I've spent a whole Saturday figuring it out.

• Like 2

I've had this same problem. I found that if you have the capture device plugged in before Easy VHS to DVD is started, no audio will be outputted. What you need to do is remove the capture device from the USB port, then start Easy VHS to DVD. The software is going to prompt you to insert the capture device. Once you do that, now you can capture audio. I've spent a whole Saturday figuring it out.

Thank you very much for the info.

I tried it the way you directed and it worked the first try.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Ed D.

Do you mind if this is pinned to the top of this forum?

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the info.

I tried it the way you directed and it worked the first try.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Ed D.

What source are you capturing from when this happens? what type of machine? (intel? ppc? what os?)

same question, can you give me system details (type of system, OS, capture source)

• Like 1

What source are you capturing from when this happens? what type of machine? (intel? ppc? what os?)

same question, can you give me system details (type of system, OS, capture source)

Sorry for the delay. I'm running Mac OS X Leopard on an 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB or RAM. My capture source is a VCR.

Do you mind if this is pinned to the top of this forum?

I don't mind if this is pinned to the top of this forum.

It would be really nice to allow end user to define auto-stop period. For example I have home videos I am converting on to Mac and options are 1 minute, 40 minutes, and greater. My video tapes are 30 minutes each. I'd like to set Auto-Stop to 30 minutes in this case. Anyone figure this out or can this be a future enhancement?

It would be really nice to allow end user to define auto-stop period. For example I have home videos I am converting on to Mac and options are 1 minute, 40 minutes, and greater. My video tapes are 30 minutes each. I'd like to set Auto-Stop to 30 minutes in this case. Anyone figure this out or can this be a future enhancement?

You posted in the PC forum? Do you have the PC or Mac version of the program?

What a pain - I found that if I muted sound, or played other video while capturing with the Roxio program it would not capture any audio until the Mac was restarted. I'll try unplugging from USB - easier than restart but still FIX THIS BUG PLEASE!!!

What a pain - I found that if I muted sound, or played other video while capturing with the Roxio program it would not capture any audio until the Mac was restarted. I'll try unplugging from USB - easier than restart but still FIX THIS BUG PLEASE!!!

You just revived a 4 year old, long dead thread!

Why are you doing other "stuff" while trying to capture? That is sure to cause problems!

I doubt very much that there is any bug

I am not getting any sound coming out of my mac while video capturing or when played back

have checked all wires and outputs and they are ok

if plug headphones into camera sound output have got sound

have tried all of the above

installed today and got latest software upgrade I believe

Anyone got any ideas Please....

I've tried all of these tricks you guys have suggested and nothing works. Video is displayed. My cables work fine with this VCR going into other equipment. Tech Support (well, their term not mine) just regurgitated through e-mail what has been said here. Of course, I can't return the program. $80 down the drain.

Mac-mini OS X VER 10.8.4

ds

I've tried all of these tricks you guys have suggested and nothing works. Video is displayed. My cables work fine with this VCR going into other equipment. Tech Support (well, their term not mine) just regurgitated through e-mail what has been said here. Of course, I can't return the program. $80 down the drain.

Mac-mini OS X VER 10.8.4

ds

Who did you buy from that won't let you return a non-working product? When I bought my device I discovered that the USB cable was defective because I happened to have a similar cable that came with an EyeTV which did work when connected to the Roxio device. If it doesn't work you have a defective product.

I have a trouble, i bought the Video capture USB device about a year ago and succesfully installed the EZ VHS to DVD on a Mac (Desktop) with Mac OS X 10.7.5 version without a problem, but, yesterday i istalled the same device on a Mac Book PRO (2011) OS X 10.8.3 device and there's image but no sound. Is there a Compatibility problem for this OS or Hardware?

I have a trouble, i bought the Video capture USB device about a year ago and succesfully installed the EZ VHS to DVD on a Mac (Desktop) with Mac OS X 10.7.5 version without a problem, but, yesterday i istalled the same device on a Mac Book PRO (2011) OS X 10.8.3 device and there's image but no sound. Is there a Compatibility problem for this OS or Hardware?

Is there no sound before you start recording or when you are playing the captured video? Is your capture application called "Easy VHS to DVD Capture" or is it called Roxio Video Capture?

I'm having the same problem. I've given up trying to use Roxio Video Capture because the audio and the video are always woefully out of sync, so I have been using Easy VHS to DVD Capture, and two days ago I transferred the first 90 minutes of a tape and had absolutely no problem. I haven't changed anything about the set up, and now today there is no audio. I've checked all the wires, restarted my computer, and waited to plug in the USB until after Easy VHS prompts me to. I also made sure my Sound Input in System Preferences is set to USB device.

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina with a 2.6 Ghz quad intel core i7 and 8 GB of RAM.

Edited by steph6450

I'm having the same problem. I've given up trying to use Roxio Video Capture because the audio and the video are always woefully out of sync, so I have been using Easy VHS to DVD Capture, and two days ago I transferred the first 90 minutes of a tape and had absolutely no problem. I haven't changed anything about the set up, and now today there is no audio. I've checked all the wires, restarted my computer, and waited to plug in the USB until after Easy VHS prompts me to. I also made sure my Sound Input in System Preferences is set to USB device.

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina with a 2.6 Ghz quad intel core i7 and 8 GB of RAM.

I wish I knew what was the cause for this. You seem to have done everything I'd think of doing. However, you can use Roxio Video Capture without an audio sync problem if you choose the middle quality setting. The high-quality setting captures in a space-gobbling Apple Intermediate Codec and I believe the reason for the audio sync is the hard drive or processor is having trouble keeping up with so much data transfer. The medium quality setting is h.264 mpeg 4, looks great and is much more usable.

I wish I knew what was the cause for this. You seem to have done everything I'd think of doing. However, you can use Roxio Video Capture without an audio sync problem if you choose the middle quality setting. The high-quality setting captures in a space-gobbling Apple Intermediate Codec and I believe the reason for the audio sync is the hard drive or processor is having trouble keeping up with so much data transfer. The medium quality setting is h.264 mpeg 4, looks great and is much more usable.

Thanks for your response! Also for the record - audio does work with Roxio Video Capture and it doesn't work with Easy VHS to DVD so it is definitely a problem with the software.

I guess the bummer with using the Medium quality setting is that I'm transferring old old family tapes - so I was really hoping to preserve them in the highest quality possible for posterity and whatnot. I guess I should just send them out to get them professionally done - it's just too bad that I wasted so much money on the software!

Thanks for your response! Also for the record - audio does work with Roxio Video Capture and it doesn't work with Easy VHS to DVD so it is definitely a problem with the software.

I guess the bummer with using the Medium quality setting is that I'm transferring old old family tapes - so I was really hoping to preserve them in the highest quality possible for posterity and whatnot. I guess I should just send them out to get them professionally done - it's just too bad that I wasted so much money on the software!

Don't let the term medium quality fool you. It is every bit as good as the high quality setting. Most all other brands of these capture devices use h.264 and most are far more expensive. You'll get high quality. Trust me.

I too am having lots of problems, specifically sound issues, with Easy VHS to DVD Capture.

First try: everything seems set correctly, capture begins & runs fine. However, after about 15 mins, sound drops out completely.

Second try: cannot get started - although video looks fine, sound has loud buzz/hum over the top of it. Switched cables to no effect.

Disconnected everything, restarted Mac, eventually got sound without buzz when I sent audio (mono) from camcorder with only mono cable, instead of "Y-ing" to stereo connection on Roxio device.

Third try: just like first, OK video & audio until about 15-20 mins in, then sound is lost.

The Roxio capture USB thing does seem to get warm - could the audio be dropping out after the device gets somewhat hot?

Noted your comments about using "medium" quality with Roxio Video Capture:

1. Is there any relation to whether using "standard" or "high" quality in the Easy VHS to DVD Capture app, or is that specific to RVC? and

2. Any way to download the Roxio Video Capture app to compare results with Easy VHS to DVD Capture?

Oh yeah, one more question - is it normal for this app to take 45-60 minutes to save about 25 mins of captured video to disk?

I am capturing from a Canon Hi-8 camcorder to a MacPro (2.66 Quad-Core, 12GB RAM, relatively fast 7200RPM 2TB HD) running OSX 10.75. Easy VHS to DVD Capture v.1.0.5

Thanks for any ideas or help you can offer.

I too am having lots of problems, specifically sound issues, with Easy VHS to DVD Capture.

See the private message I sent to you. I don't know why the sound would drop after awhile. You may be correct that it is a flaw in the device when it gets hot. My brother used to put a different capture device in the freezer before using it but it got much hotter than this one does.

Thanks, tsantee. Will have to test more to see if the sound drop-out happens every time, and whether it's the capture device or the camcorder I'm using for playback. I'm not looking forward to the idea of capturing all those hours of video 15 minutes at a time...

See the private message I sent to you.

- Thank you again, tsantee! With current version of RVC, video capture seems to be performing exactly as it's supposed to - no audio drop-outs, full 2-hour tape captures - I'm a happy camper now!

• Like 1

I have downloaded the Easy VHS to DVD Capture update and now I'm not getting any audio, i have tried all of the suggestion and cannot figure this out can anyone help?

This problem has started ever since i did the new update.

Hi

I have this software on mac running 10.9.1. I have video and in mac settings I changed the input to usb 2861 device and it shows input in the settings but not on the actual app?

some help would be appreciated.