• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

picture quality decreased once burned to DVD

natediggy43@yahoo.com

Question

Hi,

I burned A very small video file onto DVD w/ Roxio. Unfortuneately the quality of the image has dramatically decreased. Namely, it has lost a lot of sharpness and detail, and the image is fuzzier. When I play the AVI file on my hard drive it plays crisp and clean. I'm wondering what the possible causes may be to at least gain an understanding of where to begin to solve the problem. Any specific advice on fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanx!

nathaniel

p.s.

-the best advice might just be a link from you, the Roxio community, to a valuable online resource that explains and clarifies burning in general, codecs, aspect ratios, video formats etc...

Generally, if I have a resource that can provide me with information and terms I can navigate my way to solving computer problems. But at this point I'm just sitting in the dark. Thanks again!

5 answers to this question

Guest ivanatrox

what is the resolution of your original file? if you play it with Window Media Player then go to File -> Properties, the resolution will show up in Video Size

Ivan

Perhaps a simple answer is sufficient. That AVI file must be rendered to mpg2 to view and play on a DVD. That will reduce the resolution slightly. How long is the avi file (time?). If it is over 60 minutes, the program may reduce the resolution further to make it fit. Unless you have hi-def TV, you should not see any fuzziness but , of course, it will never be as sharp as on your computer monitor.

When you go to burn the project, uncheck fit on disc and select best. Make the iso (image file) and when that is finished, copy that iso file to the disc, the program will adjust the file to fit on the disc at the best quality.

As for a link, you can just goggle for video resolution. There are several good ones but the one you want will be the one that addresses and then expands your current knowledge and thought process

Hi,

I burned A very small video file onto DVD w/ Roxio. Unfortuneately the quality of the image has dramatically decreased. Namely, it has lost a lot of sharpness and detail, and the image is fuzzier. When I play the AVI file on my hard drive it plays crisp and clean. I'm wondering what the possible causes may be to at least gain an understanding of where to begin to solve the problem. Any specific advice on fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanx!

nathaniel

p.s.

-the best advice might just be a link from you, the Roxio community, to a valuable online resource that explains and clarifies burning in general, codecs, aspect ratios, video formats etc...

Generally, if I have a resource that can provide me with information and terms I can navigate my way to solving computer problems. But at this point I'm just sitting in the dark. Thanks again!

Where did you get that file. It is very low resolution to start with (or is that what you rendered it to?) It should be much higher than that; read my other post about rendering to best quality and then burning.

I hope no one minds if I jump in here, but in a test today, I had the same problem. The resolution of this particular file is 608 x 336..... ?

Also AVI is just a container that can hold many different types of video. YOu will get better results from a DV AVI file that was captured from a digital camcorder.

Downloaded files are usually DivX which is ALREADY highly compressed. These files MUST be uncompressed and then recompressed to MPEG2 to play on a regular DVD player.

Archived