• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Editing out commercials with EMC 8

syncona

Question

I've recently upgraded to EMC 8 from 6.1.

One of the main things I like to do with MY DVD is to burn 3 episodes of my favourite TV Show (Las Vegas) onto a single DVD with all of the commercials edited out so my mom can watch them at her leisure. Having the commercials cut saves on disk space and enables one to get 3 shows on a single DVD.

I have no problems importing my TV video content to or burning a DVD with EMC 8. Where I do have a really annoying problem is editing out the commercials. I've searched all the help files and tutorials and I've not found a simple process in the editor for cutting out the commercials. Maybe I'm just dumb.

With MY DVD 6.1 there is a "split" funtion which facilitated this process of editing out commercials but EMC 8 doesn't seem to have this split function anywhere in its video editing mode. I'm getting so frustrated that I'm thinking the best solutions is just for me to revert back to Version 6.1

Are any of you video editing gurus aware of a simple process where one can edit out commercials in EMC 8's video editor? :)

If you have any solutions I would really appreciate the help and my mom will be happy to!

Thank you,

Brian Smith :huh:

Toronto, Canada.

8 answers to this question

First let me say that there isn't much in common wioth MyDVD 6 anad MyDVD8 other than name. Sonic wrote the previous versions. MyDVD8 is a result of the Sonic merger and is based on the previous Roxio product.

Load your MyDVD project

Click on the thumbnail and select EDIT MOVIE

In the edit mode, move the vertical blue line to beginning of commercial.

RIGHT mouse button click and choose SPLIT.

The LEFT portion will be selected by default (orange outline)

Click on the the next clip. Move the blue line to end of commercial. Split again

Now click on the middle portion and hit the delete key

Repeat as needed

For some reason in this mode, the split button is grayed out. At least it is on my laptop that I'm using right now. If you have Easy Media Creator 8, it is much easier to edit in Videowave then add the Videowave file to MyDVD to create the disc.

post-49-1147969448.jpg

IMO, VW is way too slow for me and I use VideoReDo. I don't think VW was meant for long edits such as taking out commercials on a 1 hour show. It seems better suited for short edits.

Although Paul, most of the TV programs I watch, when a commercial comes along, there are probably 8 to 10 right in a row :D so when you do edit out the commercials, you can get a lot of them at once :):huh: . And on an hour long show and assuming they will have a commercial every 8 to 10 minutes (which isn't bad considering some of the programs like Dr. Phil that my wife watches). There they come 8 or 10 at a time and every 2 minutes. CRAZY, huh, but it makes money. So one might only have to edit out 6 times to get a clean program, if you are lucky :D

Frank....

Although Paul, most of the TV programs I watch, when a commercial comes along, there are probably 8 to 10 right in a row :D so when you do edit out the commercials, you can get a lot of them at once :):huh: . And on an hour long show and assuming they will have a commercial every 8 to 10 minutes (which isn't bad considering some of the programs like Dr. Phil that my wife watches). There they come 8 or 10 at a time and every 2 minutes. CRAZY, huh, but it makes money. So one might only have to edit out 6 times to get a clean program, if you are lucky :D

Frank....

My problem is that VW is too slow but my tv captures are mpeg and not avi which does work much quicker for me. I can use VideoReDo and cut a 1 hour show in less than 5 minutes. I actually takes about 20 when using VW. My system is not the fastest but is plenty fast for cutting and it's painful to me.

I've always been told that Patience is a virtue. Or perhaps things here in TN just go at a much slower pace. LOL I have yet to do ANYTHING when video editing in just 5min. :)

Gary, I hear you on the patience theme. After the hurricane, it was not longer a choice. 9 months later, still banks in areas not touched badly close at 5...even the drive up. :huh:

But, I am serious when I say I can remove all the commercials in a 1 hour show in 5 minutes. Last nights Lost episode was something I just did and while I didn't time myself, I wouldn't doubt it wasn't under that time. And, Lost has more commercials than my insurance agent has complaints.

What I really like is GB-PVR which I use to capture tv mostly. Usually I have it set to automatically remove commercials when the recording is complete with a program called comskip which uses VideoReDo to cut the commercials. Unfortunately, running this takes about 20 minutes but besides cutting the commercials, it renders the commercial free version as well.

:D Wow! Thanks guys! You sure made my day and pulled me out of my techno abyss!

I've found the split function and it works fine! Thanks for walking me through, I guess I just missed it :)

Also, I've downoaded the tester version of VideoReDo which is really cool. For this project, I've actually pulled out the commercials with VideoReDo because it's very fast at this function. Then I've imported the 3 Episodes of Las Vegas into EMC 8 - My DVD and it's now buring the project onto DVD as I write this.

Thank you again for getting me back on the rails here. I've also purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and a few books to go with it... I can see this being a (beginners) video editing year for this Toronto webmaster.

Best regards,

Brian Smith :huh:

Toronto, Canada.

Archived