• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EyeTV to Toast - static line at top of video

chris ca123

Question

3 answers to this question

Chris,

What 'freshburn' stated is correct. Let me see if I can add to it.

Before the advent of digital TVs (LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCoS), almost all CRT sets would crop 5% or more of the image all the way around the set. This was by design and expected by our NTSC system. TV studios, DVD menus, etc. all take this in to account and make sure no critical information (like text) is out too far on the edges. Otherwise it would likely be cropped off when viewing on your CRT set.

Now with the advent of digital displays, you can very easily display the entire image without the 5% cropping if desired. This is great for a digital signal like ATSC (HDTV), but if your orginal source is a standard NTSC signal, then you might see the extra junk around the edges. Whether that be slight black bars, horizontal & vertical sync info, or even vignetting.

EyeTV and most other digital displays (whether hardware or software) are smart enough to know it is receiving an NTSC signal and will crop the edges. If you look in the EyeTV preferences and go to the 'Display' settings, you are most likely set up for 'Defaults'. In the default mode, the edges will be cropped and it will appear as if you've got a nice picture all the way to the edges. In actuality, what is being recorded to your hard drive has those squiggly lines you mention. If you turn Overscan 'Off', then you will see the true image that is being recorded.

OK, now when you go to export this to Toast, you are giving it the raw data you recorded. This is the 'uncropped' data. There is no way around this. The EyeTV hardware records the entire NTSC image coming in, and this is how it should be. It sounds like you are then saving this recording as a Disc Image. I'm guessing you are then viewing it using "DVD Player" or something similar.

If this is the case, DVD Player, will probably show you the entire image without cropping. Most professional Hollywood DVDs are done so that their is no 'extra info' on the edges. Playing these back fullscreen causes no problems. And hence, many software DVD players will show the entire image (how it should be viewed).

Hope that all made sense. If you end up watching this on a typical DVD player and go out through an analog video output, your TV should crop off the extra junk.

I know... way too much info.

-Mike

Archived