• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Encoding preview stopping

Oscarface

Question

Hello.

After things running fairly smoothly for awhile my EMC 10 program is giving me some of the old issues again.

I've tried all the things I remember you knowledgeable people on here telling me to do, but can't figure it out.

I reinstalled drivers for my graphics card, which is not a great graphics card (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M), but was working well enough for me to edit and burn numerous projects in the past.

In fact, I just edited and burned this project fine, but now that I'm trying to burn the unedited footage it won't work. I've split the footage up and am just trying to burn 45 mins onto disc. I tried using MY DVD EXPRESS without menus, and then tried MYDVD as well.

Same thing happens all the time. Encoding starts and then the preview stops in about 5 seconds and stays there. The numbers keep going up..Showing "percentage complete 50%..yada yada...", but the preview window continues to hold on one frame. I left it for about 10 minutes and it didn't move.

In the past, everytime it froze up like this and I let it continue anyway it came up with an error at the end, so I didn't bother letting it get to completion. My understanding is that if the preview is frozen on one frame the whole time, it's not gonna work.

So, I tried switching to "Software", which I usually always have it on.

I tried slowing the burn speed, though I guess that wouldn't matter since it's the encoding process that's the problem. And I tried just selecting burn to ISO as well.

I defragmented.

I ran an anti virus program.

As mentioned, I made sure I still had the newest graphics drivers for my card.

I even tried removing a big chunk of the footage where it was freezing up on, but it just ended up freezing up, still after about 5 seconds on another frame instead.

I have an HP DV8000 with two 80 gb hard drives both with 25 gb available, 1000 mb of ram, and use XP.

I forget how to view my other computer stats, but hopefully this is enough info to go on and someone might have the right suggestion. I'm baffled.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Hello.

After things running fairly smoothly for awhile my EMC 10 program is giving me some of the old issues again.

I've tried all the things I remember you knowledgeable people on here telling me to do, but can't figure it out.

I reinstalled drivers for my graphics card, which is not a great graphics card (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M), but was working well enough for me to edit and burn numerous projects in the past.

In fact, I just edited and burned this project fine, but now that I'm trying to burn the unedited footage it won't work. I've split the footage up and am just trying to burn 45 mins onto disc. I tried using MY DVD EXPRESS without menus, and then tried MYDVD as well.

Same thing happens all the time. Encoding starts and then the preview stops in about 5 seconds and stays there. The numbers keep going up..Showing "percentage complete 50%..yada yada...", but the preview window continues to hold on one frame. I left it for about 10 minutes and it didn't move.

In the past, everytime it froze up like this and I let it continue anyway it came up with an error at the end, so I didn't bother letting it get to completion. My understanding is that if the preview is frozen on one frame the whole time, it's not gonna work.

So, I tried switching to "Software", which I usually always have it on.

I tried slowing the burn speed, though I guess that wouldn't matter since it's the encoding process that's the problem. And I tried just selecting burn to ISO as well.

I defragmented.

I ran an anti virus program.

As mentioned, I made sure I still had the newest graphics drivers for my card.

I even tried removing a big chunk of the footage where it was freezing up on, but it just ended up freezing up, still after about 5 seconds on another frame instead.

I have an HP DV8000 with two 80 gb hard drives both with 25 gb available, 1000 mb of ram, and use XP.

I forget how to view my other computer stats, but hopefully this is enough info to go on and someone might have the right suggestion. I'm baffled.

Thanks

Looks like no one was able to offer an insight this week. Luckily I managed to make things work myself. So in case someone else has the same problem, I figured I would post my solution:

I just switched it back to "hardware" instead of "software" and suddently burning worked fine. It's odd, but sometimes everything works only with it set to software, and other times only when it's set to hardware.

Looks like no one was able to offer an insight this week. Luckily I managed to make things work myself. So in case someone else has the same problem, I figured I would post my solution:

I just switched it back to "hardware" instead of "software" and suddently burning worked fine. It's odd, but sometimes everything works only with it set to software, and other times only when it's set to hardware.

Are you applying any transition or video effects? Some of those may hang the rendering if your system is not capable of handling some of those transitions.

Archived