• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I am not happy

boyletom

Question

Try the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove the program.

Cleanup

The advice to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility is of no value.

I have the same problem...very annoying. I could not even uninstall until I used the cleanup utility. That, at least, allowed me to reinstall. HOWEVER, now that the application is reinstalled, it is back to the same behavior of the MSIEXEC launching and attempting to install Napster -- which I do not want under any circumstance.

I did use the only remotely related help from Microsoft: unregister and reregister MSIEXEC

Start, Run ---> msiexec.exe /unreg ...followed by... msiexec.exe /regserver

No change

I can find nothing at Microsoft or in any of the self-help options for Roxio regarding how the Windows installer got associated with right-clicking file objects or copy/paste. There is no suitable help option with Roxio. It seems that they have gone the route of "Too Cheap" to offer customers any real help so they depend on all of the users to beta test their software, discover the bugs then report them to each other in forums like this. I bought three copies of Roxio 7.5 and all I got was this tee-shirt!

17 answers to this question

Hi

It's boscobuddy again. I'm the one with the original issue on this thread. All this talk is well and good, but does anybody have a solution to find the missing certificate file or get this roxio program off my computer once and for all? I've tried the various solutions offered here, and the problem is still not solved. I even went into My Computer, and tried to delet all the parts of the program that I could find. There were two system files that were in the Roxio folder that couldn't be deleted. One was a Targetfinder .dll. I'm no longer interested in reinstalling or fixing the program. I just want the #$^@ thing off my computer.

boscobuddy

I feel your pain/frustration....and no, I am not, nor never will be, through venting...not about software companies.

1. Yes, the Microsoft Uninstall Cleanup utility does what is is supposed to do. It will "completely" remove Roxio software...but then, again, how can we be really sure it is gone?

2. It will not solve other Roxio problems.

Once I removed Roxio and reinstalled it, I followed the other tips here about allowing the *original error* to do what it was trying to do -- install Napster. That, indeed, ended the problem of triggering the MSI action every time I copied/pasted. It also, as predicted pur a Napster shortcut on my desktop.

Then I followed the next part of the advice...uninstall Napster from the Control Panel/Add Renmove Programs. Whaddyknow! Can't do that. The Change/Remove button did not attempt to remove Napster, it *installed it* or so the diaglogs indicated. I restarted and sure, enough, Napster remains functional. Now when I attempt to uninstall, I get a new error:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll<UNINSTALL_CMD>

The specified module cannot be found.

So, without trying to *vent* unecessarilly, because of course, the Roxio and Napster folks are all just a bunch of peachy keen folks and I want to sing :) CumBayah :huh: with 'em all night by the seashore... but what is going on here?

Once upon a time, there was a company called Roxio. This company bought the rights to the name Napster (and I think the software, too). The latest/greatest Version of its burning program, called Roxio 7, included links to their new Napster division. Then the company called Roxio sold the software and the name of the software (Roxio) to a different, unrelated, company called Sonic.

The company called Roxio then renamed itself Napster, which is what it is today.

The company that bought the Roxio name and software proceeded to merge the most recent Roxio software (V.7) with a number of its own Sonic software programs, resulting in what is called Roxio 7.5.

So, no matter how ticked you might be about what the former owner of the software did with its final Version, the brand Roxio is now under new management.

Software CDs that have been released are not recalled, especially not by subsequent owners of the rights.

So you are a bit behind the times in your campaign.

Lynn

boyletom : The information I provided was correct. I used it as did may others and did not have a problem. What you may have seen was the third part of the information I provided. That was that as Napster was removed, the burn engine that was part of Napster was being re-installed -- not all of Napster. If you short circuited that procedure, you will indeed have problems since that file was not installed properly. I would suggest that you remove the program and find some church or other charity to give it to or perhaps e-bay.

If you did not short circuit that uninstall, then you have a problem with your operating system or you have another program that is interfering with this program. I doubt if you will believe that and I will not get into a "XXX" session with you.

If, in the future you want to post, do not thead jack. We were trying to help the original poster. You problem had nothing to do with a missing certificate file.

I feel your pain/frustration....and no, I am not, nor never will be, through venting...not about software companies.

1. Yes, the Microsoft Uninstall Cleanup utility does what is is supposed to do. It will "completely" remove Roxio software...but then, again, how can we be really sure it is gone?

2. It will not solve other Roxio problems.

Once I removed Roxio and reinstalled it, I followed the other tips here about allowing the *original error* to do what it was trying to do -- install Napster. That, indeed, ended the problem of triggering the MSI action every time I copied/pasted. It also, as predicted pur a Napster shortcut on my desktop.

Then I followed the next part of the advice...uninstall Napster from the Control Panel/Add Renmove Programs. Whaddyknow! Can't do that. The Change/Remove button did not attempt to remove Napster, it *installed it* or so the diaglogs indicated. I restarted and sure, enough, Napster remains functional. Now when I attempt to uninstall, I get a new error:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll<UNINSTALL_CMD>

The specified module cannot be found.

So, without trying to *vent* unecessarilly, because of course, the Roxio and Napster folks are all just a bunch of peachy keen folks and I want to sing :) CumBayah :huh: with 'em all night by the seashore... but what is going on here?

I can't imagine why the OP can't get rid of Napster. I have both versoions 7 and 7.5 (both retail and updated) and I had no problems at all getting rid of Napster. Oh yeah, the little Icon is stil there on the main boot up screen for EMC but Napster has been grayed out and is not available for use.. "Drag to Dic" is out of commission also, so what's the problem out there anyway ? Maybe the down loaded versions are different than my retail versions in some way when it comes to removing portions of the associated programs (i.e. Napster). But I don't thaink that is the case.

Frank..........

I have a very simple solution to the msiexec.exe problem that you may not want to use, but that is good in that it actually works permanently, unlike some other suggested solutions. All I did was rename the file "msiexec.exe" in %systemroot%\system32 to "msiexec.exe2" (of course, any other name would work as well). This way, when msiexec.exe is called, it doesn't work. The reason I said some may not want to use this solution is, of course, that it renders msiexec.exe useless, even when you do want to use it. Personally, this issue hasn't come up so I've been perfectly happy with this solution, but even if it had come up, it's not too hard to got to system32 and rename the file back to its original name for however long you need it.

Good luck!

I can't imagine why the OP can't get rid of Napster. I have both versoions 7 and 7.5 (both retail and updated) and I had no problems at all getting rid of Napster. Oh yeah, the little Icon is stil there on the main boot up screen for EMC but Napster has been grayed out and is not available for use.. "Drag to Dic" is out of commission also, so what's the problem out there anyway ? Maybe the down loaded versions are different than my retail versions in some way when it comes to removing portions of the associated programs (i.e. Napster). But I don't thaink that is the case.

Frank..........

Yes, it is. You get the entire thing and can't modify it.

Lynn

No Napster here. No grayed-out icons either. Here's how. I copied all the files from the install disk to my desktop, removed the Napster folder and sent it to the recycle bin THEN installed. Worked a treat! 100% Napster free!! WHEE!

I would have never thought to do what you did sisterscape. But I gues whatever one does to get rid of it and it works, is the main thing. Just a suggestion, but if you happen to run into another post that is having this problem, guide them to this post for the answer :) . Thanks for the suggestion ....

Frank.....

. . . if you happen to run into another post that is having this problem, guide them to this post for the answer :)
Well, I cannot claim credit for the idea. I actually found it buried in a thread (I have no idea which one) when I was researching my installation problems. I had installed and uninstalled several times and found Napster to be quite annoying so when I ran across that solution by accident, I was very happy. :huh: Anyway, now I know where it is!!

I've said it before and I still stand by my suggestion: When anyone uses all these "cleaners" (Registry cleaners, Windows cleanup utilities. roxizap, etc) there are all kinds of changes that are made that may not be wanted along with the one that is supposed to fixed the problem. I suggest that the original problem occured do to some unintended install mistakes, other programs that interfere (as already been suggested like iTunes & Real Player) and not having all of the up to date hardware, etc, etc.

In my entire career, I have vented a few times, but I have also found out that the venting I did NEVER solved my problem. It's hard not to be frustrated sometimes but getting the proper advice from reputable sources is probably the best thing one can do. And as far as I'm concerned this forum is a great place to start. You're right---this reply doesn't help solve the posted problem but it's the thoughts I get when I read threads like this one.

Frank....(Is this "venting") ??? :)

I have the same problem...very annoying. I could not even uninstall until I used the cleanup utility. That, at least, allowed me to reinstall. HOWEVER, now that the application is reinstalled, it is back to the same behavior of the MSIEXEC launching and attempting to install Napster -- which I do not want under any circumstance.

I did use the only remotely related help from Microsoft: unregister and reregister MSIEXEC

No change

I can find nothing at Microsoft or in any of the self-help options for Roxio regarding how the Windows installer got associated with right-clicking file objects or copy/paste. There is no suitable help option with Roxio. It seems that they have gone the route of "Too Cheap" to offer customers any real help so they depend on all of the users to beta test their software, discover the bugs then report them to each other in forums like this. I bought three copies of Roxio 7.5 and all I got was this tee-shirt!

Bingo, on what is bolded, above. That is what it is supposed to do, so you can reinstall the software. It is doing EXACTLY what is was supposed to do, so it does have value!

The problems that you are having, is due to the 7.5 and something else on your computer, not playing nicely together.

Yes, it is. You get the entire thing and can't modify it.

Lynn

I kind of remember mine doing that. Everytime i would drag a file over

to copy it to another folder the install would pop up and get in my way.

I think i just uninstalled and reinstalled custom with no napster.

Worked at the time. I also turn drag to disc off unless i need it

but its there.

I kind of remember mine doing that. Everytime i would drag a file over

to copy it to another folder the install would pop up and get in my way.

I think i just uninstalled and reinstalled custom with no napster.

Worked at the time. I also turn drag to disc off unless i need it

but its there.

You installed from a disc (which means it can be modified), tomkatt - the person who you are replying to (who hasn't been in on nearly a year) used the download which cannot be modified.

Lynn

There are processes in that version of Napster that need to be loaded so let Napster install and then use Windows --Add/Remove programs to uninstall Napster. As Napster uninstalls, you will get a message that a file is being loaded. If you are worried, make sure you are not on the internet when you do the install. Sorry but this is the way it is. When V7 was developed, it was part of Napster (or vice versa). That is why there is a tie in.

No change

Bingo, on what is bolded, above. That is what it is supposed to do, so you can reinstall the software. It is doing EXACTLY what is was supposed to do, so it does have value!

The problems that you are having, is due to the 7.5 and something else on your computer, not playing nicely together.

Oh, right... I am embarassed that I didn't think of that...version 7.5 and something else on my computer, not playing nicely together. I should remember to search the Microsoft KB and Roxio's KB on those keywords, "not playing nicely together." I have another word for it: crapware. Companies nowadays break everything when you install their software then they have no clue except to blame it on Hewlett Packard or Microsoft or whoever they are not. Of course they will no longer talk to you on the phone without a credit card.

I bought a classroom package to teach English to immigrants. It cost me $28,000. It broke in the presence of iTunes and Real Player 6.5. The ESL company blamed Real Player and Apple. I told them if Iwas going to have to beta test their software I wanted at least a 10 percent rebate.

Roxio does not impress me. You can download free open source software to do just about everything without all of the crap.

There are processes in that version of Napster that need to be loaded so let Napster install and then use Windows --Add/Remove programs to uninstall Napster. As Napster uninstalls, you will get a message that a file is being loaded. If you are worried, make sure you are not on the internet when you do the install. Sorry but this is the way it is. When V7 was developed, it was part of Napster (or vice versa). That is why there is a tie in.

Sort of wonder why a *Custom* option is included in the Install. In that option you can select to NOT install Napster. If Roxio is so dependent on *parts* of Napster, why not just allow that part to install, mark is as required. Sheesh! There is probably all kind of information theft and background *phoning home* going on.

Oh, right... I am embarassed that I didn't think of that...version 7.5 and something else on my computer, not playing nicely together. I should remember to search the Microsoft KB and Roxio's KB on those keywords, "not playing nicely together." I have another word for it: crapware. Companies nowadays break everything when you install their software then they have no clue except to blame it on Hewlett Packard or Microsoft or whoever they are not. Of course they will no longer talk to you on the phone without a credit card.

I bought a classroom package to teach English to immigrants. It cost me $28,000. It broke in the presence of iTunes and Real Player 6.5. The ESL company blamed Real Player and Apple. I told them if Iwas going to have to beta test their software I wanted at least a 10 percent rebate.

Roxio does not impress me. You can download free open source software to do just about everything without all of the crap.

Sort of wonder why a *Custom* option is included in the Install. In that option you can select to NOT install Napster. If Roxio is so dependent on *parts* of Napster, why not just allow that part to install, mark is as required. Sheesh! There is probably all kind of information theft and background *phoning home* going on.

You done venting now? Itunes, itself, has been know to disable a multitude of software. The biggest problems were with the version 5, I believe. Version 6 was supposed to correct some of the problems that THEY (Itunes) caused.

You talk about phoning home. Real Player and Itunes connect to the net, more than I do. :) I don't have either on my computer. I haven't had Real Player on my computer in 7 or 8 years.

Archived