• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio on a tapeovered tape not comming through

karpar

Question

I am using a video tape that I previously taped a hockey game on.When I edit the clip it is stored properly in the video files but when I drop it down into the production the audio is the hockey game and not the new prom footage.I can't seem to get the audio of the new footage now.Any sugesstions?

Thanks,

Karen

6 answers to this question

Thanks Merv,

What I was trying to say is, that I was using a mini dv tape and taped a hockey game,then I wanted to reuse the tape so I taped over it some Prom footage.When I was clipping the video in the videowave all was well and good,and it stored fine in the video file.Then when I was putting it into my project and dropping the files into the storyboard,the audio was the hockey game and not the Prom audio footage to go with the video.But what was funny was that when I look at it in the video fies window above the storyboard the audio and video are just the way they should be ?? it is only when I drop it down to the storyboard that it keeps the original audio along with the new footage ??? I am nervious to try to do what you said about deleting the files as I do want to keep the audio that goes with the footage ?

I don't know what a EMC7 program is but, my computer is up to date with everything I need to do this I am using the Roxio 7 as I have the 8 and don't like it, I don't know why they made the new 8 that doesn't have anywhere near the transitions that the 7 has.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Thanks so much for your help, it worked!!! I made a sample slideshow to make sure it worked, and when I first did it ,deleted the files, it took out all of the audio even the song I put with it in the background.I then decided to try it again and it works the second time???

And yes I was using emc7 and bringing the video in on firewire.The other reply i got about renaming the file,well it was renamed ,but I will make sure in the future to rename everything.

Thank you,

Karen

Guest mlpasley
.... it works the second time???

And yes I was using emc7 and bringing the video in on firewire.The other reply i got about renaming the file,well it was renamed ,but I will make sure in the future to rename everything.

Thank you,

Karen

It worked the second time because the program rebuilt the audio preview files that you had deleted. Apparently, it normally won't do that if there is already a file with that name in its preview file. That's why you've got to delete the original filename.

I am using a video tape that I previously taped a hockey game on.When I edit the clip it is stored properly in the video files but when I drop it down into the production the audio is the hockey game and not the new prom footage.I can't seem to get the audio of the new footage now.Any sugesstions?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen. I think you will need to include some additional information to help someone figure out the problem. Information such as how the video was captured from the tape, what EMC7 program are you using, computer system specification, does the correct audio play when the tape is played on a TV VCR, etc. Also, I am not sure what you mean be the statement bolded above.

One thing you could try is to clear the Audio Preview files. To do that, click on Tools\Options in videowave. Click the File Control tab and then click the Delete Files button in the Audio Preview files window. I do not think that will help your issue, but it will not hurt anything.

Hi Karen. I think you will need to include some additional information to help someone figure out the problem. Information such as how the video was captured from the tape, what EMC7 program are you using, computer system specification, does the correct audio play when the tape is played on a TV VCR, etc. Also, I am not sure what you mean be the statement bolded above.

One thing you could try is to clear the Audio Preview files. To do that, click on Tools\Options in videowave. Click the File Control tab and then click the Delete Files button in the Audio Preview files window. I do not think that will help your issue, but it will not hurt anything.

Thanks Merv,

What I was trying to say is, that I was using a mini dv tape and taped a hockey game,then I wanted to reuse the tape so I taped over it some Prom footage.When I was clipping the video in the videowave all was well and good,and it stored fine in the video file.Then when I was putting it into my project and dropping the files into the storyboard,the audio was the hockey game and not the Prom audio footage to go with the video.But what was funny was that when I look at it in the video fies window above the storyboard the audio and video are just the way they should be ?? it is only when I drop it down to the storyboard that it keeps the original audio along with the new footage ??? I am nervious to try to do what you said about deleting the files as I do want to keep the audio that goes with the footage ?

I don't know what a EMC7 program is but, my computer is up to date with everything I need to do this I am using the Roxio 7 as I have the 8 and don't like it, I don't know why they made the new 8 that doesn't have anywhere near the transitions that the 7 has.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Thanks Merv,

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Karen, delete the Audio Preview files I mentioned. They are temporary files that remain in that folder even after you complete and totally deleted a project. Don't worry, as soon as you insert the file into the storyboard, the audio files will once again be placed into that folder. It is a fairly common problem that Videowave will select the wrong audio from the preview folder. The worst that could happen is that you would have to recapture the video, but I doubt that.

Please let us know if that works. If it does not, post back with how you captured the prom video. Did you use EMC7 or another program? If EMC7, did you connect the miniDV camera to the computer with a firewire? EMC7 will not usually capture audio correctly from a camera connected via USB.

Karen, delete the Audio Preview files I mentioned. They are temporary files that remain in that folder even after you complete and totally deleted a project. Don't worry, as soon as you insert the file into the storyboard, the audio files will once again be placed into that folder. It is a fairly common problem that Videowave will select the wrong audio from the preview folder. The worst that could happen is that you would have to recapture the video, but I doubt that.

Please let us know if that works. If it does not, post back with how you captured the prom video. Did you use EMC7 or another program? If EMC7, did you connect the miniDV camera to the computer with a firewire? EMC7 will not usually capture audio correctly from a camera connected via USB.

The problem with the audio from a previous video usually occurs if you capture a video clip to the same name as a previous capture. When the first clip is added to videowave, the audio is extracted and saved to the temporary folder. Now if you capture another clip to the same name and load that clip into videowave, the program tries to extract the audio but it sees that an audio file already exists by that name and it thinks its the same audio and does not bother extracting. Thus you could get the audio from an old video in the new video. That is why deleting the old temporary audios from the folder is always a good idea. The actual video file you captured which contains the real audio is never changed unless you deliberately overwrite it.

Archived