• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How do I select an area of a photo?

amr71

Question

All I want to do is select and copy a part of the photo I'm editing. All I can figure out how to do is crop or add special effects. On an old photo editor I used, I could just click and drag the area I wanted and then hit CTRL-C. How do I do this in Creator '09?

7 answers to this question

Do you have the full retail version of Roxio Creator 2009 (the forum where you posted)? If so, photo editing is done using the PhotoSuite program of the software.

Yes, I'm working in PhotoSuite. I bought the full retail version.

From PhotoSuite, open the image. Then click the first tab (scissor icon) of the tool pane on the left. Choose Crop and then Custom. A marquee shows up on the image. Adjust it to the area of interest. Then click the OK button.

The second tab gives you a lot of ability to cut out the image. Give those options a try.

From PhotoSuite, open the image. Then click the first tab (scissor icon) of the tool pane on the left. Choose Crop and then Custom. A marquee shows up on the image. Adjust it to the area of interest. Then click the OK button.

The second tab gives you a lot of ability to cut out the image. Give those options a try.

Thanks. I think I see what you mean. I'm able to crop an area of the picture and then CTRL-Z back to the base image, and paste the sample onto the base image (which is what I'm trying to do, for an effect I want to create). That's a really clunky way of going about it, but it seems to work. I don't understand why this program doesn't just allow the option of selecting an area and copying it to the clipboard, without having to go through all these unnecessary steps.

Thanks. I think I see what you mean. I'm able to crop an area of the picture and then CTRL-Z back to the base image, and paste the sample onto the base image (which is what I'm trying to do, for an effect I want to create). That's a really clunky way of going about it, but it seems to work. I don't understand why this program doesn't just allow the option of selecting an area and copying it to the clipboard, without having to go through all these unnecessary steps.

It appears to be a pretty simple method of attaining what you want, to me. :blink::blink:

I don't understand why this program doesn't just allow the option of selecting an area and copying it to the clipboard, without having to go through all these unnecessary steps.

Try under the Tools tab, click one of the Mask/Cutout tools, for example Freehand Mask/Cutout. Make your selection and then in the dialog box click on Create Cutout. Choose Create a New Object. The part of the image that you selected will be duplicated on top of your image. Now you can move that part around, Rotate, Flip, Cut, Copy and Paste it, etc.

Every time a user can’t figure it out, it is the Dumb Software's fault! Well, maybe not…

To do what you want, and this applies to ALL software :

You have to Select

You have to Copy to clipboard

You have to Paste

In PhotoSuite you use CROP to select and

Ctrl-C to copy

Cancel CROP and press Ctrl-V to paste

That is pretty darn simple and it isn’t even that easy in my Paint Shop Pro!!!

You just have to buckle down and learn how to use the program!

Archived