• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Destination drive doesn’t have enough space

brianzebra

Question

When I try to burn a movie (a TiVo program transferred to my computer), and click on the button to burn it after finishing tweaking the project, I get the error message "Destination drive doesn’t have enough space." These are 2-hour movies, and should fit onto a DVD-R (I'm not using a blank double-layer/double- sided disk; it's just a normal single-sided DVD disc). The EMC8 screens show that there is still free space, when it tells me the size of the project and the space on the disc. I've tried using smaller movie files, a lot less than 2-hour ones, just to make sure fitting them onto the blank DVD isn't the problem. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled EMC8 on a different drive on my computer, which had a lot more GBs of space than the original installation drive, in case the program was using a temporary working space on the installation drive while encoding, etc. That didn't solve the problem.

I thought maybe I could burn an .iso image to my hard drive, and then copy that image to a blank DVD. I was able to successfully burn the image to my hard drive without getting the error message quoted above. Right this second I'm trying to copy that image to a blank DVD, but EMC8 keeps giving me another error message, saying to insert a blank DVD, and ejecting the blank DVD I already inserted. I've tried several different DVDs from different major manufacturers, but the same thing happens.

I'm most interested in whether anyone has experience with the "Destination drive doesn’t have enough space" error, and possible solutions. I haven't had a chance to narrow down what is causing that second problem I noted - ejection of the blank discs - but if anyone has any ideas about that, also, I'd appreciate input.

Thanks. -Brian

10 answers to this question

If you go to Tools -> Disc Information when you have your blank DVD in, what's showing up for Inserted Disc?

For subsequent readers of this thread: When I have MyDVD 8 open, and click on "Tools", I don't have "Disc Information" listed as an option to click on. You have to go to Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home (the home page of Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite).

When I open up "Disc Information", it shows the DVD burner (Sony DVD RW DRU-820A). The burner has the latest driver installed (1.0b). It lists the supported media (basically all formats of CDs and DVDs). For "disc type", it says "DVD-R, Blank Media". For number of zones, it says "0". For "Free Space", it says "4,489.2 MB (2,298,496 Sectors)". For "Used Space", it says "0.0 MB (0 Sectors)".

By the way, in case the drive/partition on which I had installed Roxio EMC8 didn't have enough working space on it (if that was an issue), I installed a new SATA 400GB hard drive, using a PCI controller card. I uninstalled EMC8 and reinstalled it on the SATA drive. I also set the page file for the SATA drive to the maximum (4096MB). I still got the same error message about the destination drive not having enough space.

-Brian

I was also experiencing this problem -- my solution was to create an ISO of my project using MyDVD/EMC 8, then burn a DVD using using the "Burn from Disc Image File" option in Roxio Creator Classic (EMC 8). This has proven to be a fool-proof work-around, so I now use this method every time I want to burn a project to disk, and I have quit looking for a solution to the original problem.

How do you create an ISO from within MyDVD? All I have is "Burn to disc" with no choice for an ISO output. As soon as I click on "Burn" I get the "no enough temporary space" error.

I was also experiencing this problem -- my solution was to create an ISO of my project using MyDVD/EMC 8, then burn a DVD using using the "Burn from Disc Image File" option in Roxio Creator Classic (EMC 8). This has proven to be a fool-proof work-around, so I now use this method every time I want to burn a project to disk, and I have quit looking for a solution to the original problem.

I have the same issue -

Here's my problem - I'm bruning a 1 hour Tivo show to DVD - file size is about 1.5 GB. When I add it to the project, suddenly the project is almost 5 GB - too large for the 4.5 GB DVD I've got in the burner....

One more note - I'm trying the burn to ISO feature in MyDVD. To get to this function, I clicked on BURN and a manue appears that allows you to un"check the BURN

Guest ivanatrox

If you go to Tools -> Disc Information when you have your blank DVD in, what's showing up for Inserted Disc?

Archived