• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Cherylsunshine

Will vhs-dvd import into iMovie HD 6?

Question

Will vhs-dvd import into iMovie HD 6?

turns out imove o9, apple took out all the frames for text and effects as well that were in HD06. I am freakin as that is what I need and why i bought a mac for the imovie.

it won't recongize any of the movies i already imported to iphoto that goes to imovie, every thing around and around on mac's, drag here import there

anyway, if a new project will VHS-DVD-IMOVIE IMPORT TO IMOVIE HD 6

THANX

holding on to the mac, beyond me why now

cheryl

Edited by tsantee

1 answer to this question

Cheryl,

The Easy VHS to DVD for Mac encodes the video in MPEG 2 format which is ideal for making video DVDs. However, it is not a format that can be read by iMovie. The application has an option to send to the version of iMovie that's part of iLife 08 or 09. When doing that the video is converted to a format that iMovie can use. I don't know if it can export directly to iMovie HD because my Macs have a later version and the application automatically opens the latest version that is present on the Mac.

If it doesn't import to iMovie HD then you need to use another application to convert the video from MPEG 2 format to either MPEG 4 or DV. The latter is preferable if you have ample hard drive space. Once converted then it can be imported to iMovie from within the iMovie application.

The full version of Toast can do that conversion but not the version that is included with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac. You also can use the freeware MPEG Streamclip after you purchase a $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component from Apple's online store.

Are you sure you need to use iMovie? If all you want is to clip out portions of the video before burning it to DVD you can use the Toast 9 Basic application to do that. That will save you a huge amount of time and trouble.