Sign in to follow this  
fustbariclation

Restoring onto Leopard from Toast 8 on Tiger

Question

I've got 4 DVDs backing up my old iPhoto library. Toast spanned the discs. Trying to restore them (my system was stolen), it finds errors on the discs.

I really don't mind losing a few pictures, but I'd like to restore as much as possible. So I'm not happy when it gives up. Is there a way to force it to restore all files that aren't actually corrupt?

I restored the first volume, which ended with an error. I put in the second volume, but it ejected the volume and insisted that I re-insert the first volume. This is not at all helpful!

How can I tell it to restore just the files it can recover from each volume separately so that I can then import them back into iPhoto?

2 answers to this question

I've got 4 DVDs backing up my old iPhoto library. Toast spanned the discs. Trying to restore them (my system was stolen), it finds errors on the discs.

I really don't mind losing a few pictures, but I'd like to restore as much as possible. So I'm not happy when it gives up. Is there a way to force it to restore all files that aren't actually corrupt?

I restored the first volume, which ended with an error. I put in the second volume, but it ejected the volume and insisted that I re-insert the first volume. This is not at all helpful!

How can I tell it to restore just the files it can recover from each volume separately so that I can then import them back into iPhoto?

I've tried again - I get:

"

File System Error

A file system error -36 has occured. Restoring will be aborted.

"

This is hopeless - how can I get it to carry on regardless of errors!

I've tried again - I get:

"

File System Error

A file system error -36 has occured. Restoring will be aborted.

"

This is hopeless - how can I get it to carry on regardless of errors!

Along with the Roxio Restore application there should be a folder that contains all the files (pictures) you copied to the disc. You should be able to simply open that folder and start copying contents from it directly to your hard drive without using the Roxio Restore application. What won't work is doing that to restore any file that was spanned from one disc to another. But that is only one file. What you'll discover in trying to copy files and folders to the hard drive is the copying will freeze whenever the disc cannot be read. It will take you awhile to copy over all the readable files because of this.

Toast 9 and 10 have a feature in the Copy window to "Use Disc Recovery." This is a very slow process where Toast works to create a disc image that recovers files from defective parts of a disc. That may help you.

Also, if you are using a built-in Mac Superdrive then getting a good-quality (such as LaCie) external drive may make it possible to read discs that the Superdrive is not reading properly. The Superdrives are not very good units.