• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
REDWAGON

Black Edges On Scanned Photos

Question

Using EMC 7.5 (updated). I have scanned about 50 hard copy photos (all color) using my HP Scanjet 7400C scanner. Some of the originals are 8 x 10, others are as small as 2x3. I have them all saved in a special folder as JPEG files. When I "Preview" them (XP Home/SP2) Most all of them have a black border on the left and right and sometimes on the top and bottom. This black area varies in width depending on the photo I select.

I have placed all of them in Videowave (Storyline view). When I preview the production, I get the same black borders on the photos, same as I did in XP preview mode. I am pretty sure this same problem was posted some time ago but I don't recall what the problem was or if there was a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank....

Using EMC 7.5 (updated). I have scanned about 50 hard copy photos (all color) using my HP Scanjet 7400C scanner. Some of the originals are 8 x 10, others are as small as 2x3. I have them all saved in a special folder as JPEG files. When I "Preview" them (XP Home/SP2) Most all of them have a black border on the left and right and sometimes on the top and bottom. This black area varies in width depending on the photo I select.

I have placed all of them in Videowave (Storyline view). When I preview the production, I get the same black borders on the photos, same as I did in XP preview mode. I am pretty sure this same problem was posted some time ago but I don't recall what the problem was or if there was a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank....

I searched and found this - http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...l=black+borders :)

I'm just wondering how it is you scanned these photos in the first place. I have seen some scanners display problems with very dark or bright pics (usually negs or slides) and the auto crop goes crazy. But these are photos. You don't normally these problems. Are you cropping manually or using auto?

What interface/software are you using to scan? I just wonder what's up because if you're seeing the black lines previewing the photos, then it obviously has nothing to do with EMC. It's a scanning problem.

Have you scanned anything since to see if a black line is added?

I guess I'm just wondering if you can give me anything more to go on...I'd like to help...

Thanks sisterscape for that post search. I was a part of the replies on that particular post so I am aware of the suggestion that was given. That is a good option if you don't care about loosing a big portion of your original photo.

And vid2man97, When I scan I get my preview and then manually crop the area that I want to be my final scanned image. The results I get are not just "lines" as you suggested but rather if you can imagine a black square box that has the photo in it and the black area stays on the bottom side, top side and or right and left sides of the image. Sometimes this black area is quite wide and then others it is very thin (1/4' to maybe 3/4'). It's very distracking when you make a Videowave slide show and then when producing a final DVD (DVD Builder) all the slides come out with this black area rather than the image filling the entire screen area.

Thanks for your suggestions. This same problem on the earlier post was never solved so I guess there is no answer or solution.

Frank....

Frank, when your cropping are you keeping the aspect ratio the same. Seems to me you might be cropping and changing the configuration of the photo leaving it smaller than is required for stills. Unless I am misunderstanding you. :)

Thanks sisterscape for that post search. I was a part of the replies on that particular post so I am aware of the suggestion that was given. That is a good option if you don't care about loosing a big portion of your original photo.

And vid2man97, When I scan I get my preview and then manually crop the area that I want to be my final scanned image. The results I get are not just "lines" as you suggested but rather if you can imagine a black square box that has the photo in it and the black area stays on the bottom side, top side and or right and left sides of the image. Sometimes this black area is quite wide and then others it is very thin (1/4' to maybe 3/4'). It's very distracking when you make a Videowave slide show and then when producing a final DVD (DVD Builder) all the slides come out with this black area rather than the image filling the entire screen area.

Thanks for your suggestions. This same problem on the earlier post was never solved so I guess there is no answer or solution.

Frank....

Frank, I wish that I was at home, so I could try to reproduce this anomaly with my 7400C scanner. Unfortunately, I am a little over 1,000 miles from home. I am visiting my son and his family, which IS fortunate. :huh:

Frank, when your cropping are you keeping the aspect ratio the same. Seems to me you might be cropping and changing the configuration of the photo leaving it smaller than is required for stills. Unless I am misunderstanding you. :)

Patty, what Frank is talking about has nothing in common with cropping photos in Image Cropper or other programs like that. He is cropping the actual size of the photo, otherwise the scanner will scan an entire 8-1/2" x 11" sheet, or more precisely, the entire size of the scanner's glass bed.

I can't wait for Bruce to get home and try to reproduce this. Is this a scanner/cable malfuntion? Have you powered it off (computer off, disconnect scanner power supply of scanner at least one minute) to let the scanner reset to 'home'?

Guest mlpasley

I don't think its a malfunction. I have a Visioneer scanner and it does the same 'cropping' to the size of the photo. Now I can select the option to scan the whole bed of the scanner, but that leaves me with lots of 'white space.'

As suggested before, you could resize the photo using 'aspect ratio' to get the proper size, but I don't know what that size would be.

Probably the easiest way to quickly assemble a slideshow would be to use 'color panels' (other than black) as a background, then drag the pictures onto the overlay track. ( You can do a copy and paste to quickly put multiple panels on the storyline.)

That would give you the same effect as a picture mounted in an album. You wouldn't have to change the size and as long as you keep the photos in the 'tv safe' area, you'll be able to see all of the photo. (put text on the picture temporarily to see where the safe area is)

Edited by mlpasley

Patty:--Thanks for the reply suggestion. Bruce is correct though in what I am doing and wouldn't have anything to do with using the EMC program to crop my photos. And NO, the aspect ratio is correct when I do the manual crop in my scanner program. When I say crop, Bruce is right on in how he described the cropping. No matter how larger a photo I am scanning I have set the scanner to scan the entire glass on the scanner. Once the scanner gives me a "preview" of what I scanned, I can then use my mouse to just "crop" the portion of the photo I want as my final scan image. It's just a matter of boxing out what part of the photo I want. Hope that makes sense. Bruce knows exactly what I am doing as he also has the exact same scanner as I have (HP scanjet 7400c).

Bruce:--I'm sure you have seen this same thing when you have scanned a photo. It doesn't seem like it makes any difference as to how large the original is either. And another thingb that I can't figure out, is why sometime the wide black border runs across the top and bottom of the final scanned image, while other times it is on the right and left side of the final scanned image. Sure would appreciate your playing with it on your 7400c and get your input on what you thik is causing this to happening. BTW, have great time with you son and his family :)

ml:---I think you might have the solution to the problem. I had never thought of placing a color panel, and then dragging the photo I want into that slide. As a matter of fact, just to show you how dumb I am, I didn't know you could insert a photo on a color slide. I have used a color panel many times in my productions but I have always used it for a "text" slide. I guess If I inserted a white color panel on each of the slides, it wouldn't be as ugly as looking at those black borders around the photo. Thanks ml for that suggestion. I will definitely play around with the color and see what comes up.

vid2man97:--For sure this is NOT a scanner hardware or cable problem, but I do appreciate your suggestions and staying with this problem with me. And same for sisterscape. Thanks.

Well ml, I tried your suggestion in regards to placing a color panel and then inserting one of my photos that had the black borders. No matter what color I picked (white, red, blue or ??) when the photo was inserted in the colored panel it must cover up all of the color that was placed, as it still comes out with the black border, same as it did before.

Back to square one I guess. I'm anxious to see what Bruce comes up with if he tries duplicating what I am expierencing.

Frank....

Well ml, I tried your suggestion in regards to placing a color panel and then inserting one of my photos that had the black borders. No matter what color I picked (white, red, blue or ??) when the photo was inserted in the colored panel it must cover up all of the color that was placed, as it still comes out with the black border, same as it did before.

Back to square one I guess. I'm anxious to see what Bruce comes up with if he tries duplicating what I am expierencing.

Frank....

Hi Frank.

I don't know why you are getting the black border. I cannot duplicate the problem but then again I only have a real cheap scanner.

But, to do what ml suggested with the color panel, you may have to adjust the width and/or size of the the overlay. After you have placed your color panel on the video track and inserted the picture on the overlay track, double click on the picture and the Overlay editor should open. If you have black bars on the left and right, try moving the Overlay Width slider until they are gone and the color panel you selected is visible. For black bars on the top and bottom, you will have to mess with the Zoom and Overlay Size sliders.

Gee Frank, I think I'm more anxious to know what's up than you are. It's almost a problem that you have a first rate scanner cause we can't just go blaming it for being so-so.

There is software out there to combat this problem, so it isn't too rare, and I know I've seen it happen before but for Pete's sake I can't remember what I did to combat it. It was years ago with a cheaper reflective only scanner.

You could naturally just crop the borders out with some photo manipulation software, even just basic stuff that comes with pretty much any scanner. Doesn't the scanjet come with some? Tedious and time consuming for sure but easier than trying to play with overlays. maybe.

Frank, I wish that I was at home, so I could try to reproduce this anomaly with my 7400C scanner. Unfortunately, I am a little over 1,000 miles from home. I am visiting my son and his family, which IS fortunate. :)

Patty, what Frank is talking about has nothing in common with cropping photos in Image Cropper or other programs like that. He is cropping the actual size of the photo, otherwise the scanner will scan an entire 8-1/2" x 11" sheet, or more precisely, the entire size of the scanner's glass bed.

I won't get home until next Sunday. :huh:

Gee Frank, I think I'm more anxious to know what's up than you are. It's almost a problem that you have a first rate scanner cause we can't just go blaming it for being so-so.

There is software out there to combat this problem, so it isn't too rare, and I know I've seen it happen before but for Pete's sake I can't remember what I did to combat it. It was years ago with a cheaper reflective only scanner.

You could naturally just crop the borders out with some photo manipulation software, even just basic stuff that comes with pretty much any scanner. Doesn't the scanjet come with some? Tedious and time consuming for sure but easier than trying to play with overlays. maybe.

I was going to suggest what Merv suggested, using overlay and zoom adjustments. Let us know how you make out. :)

Thanks Bruce for your interest and support. Have fun with your son and family. That's way more important than this !!

The scanner is a good one Patty and I'm going to keep working on this until I either figure out how to fix it or scuttle the whole problem and run the DVD with the black borders on most of the photos. :) It really isn't that bad. Just annoying, that's all.

I'll give ml's suggestion a little more effort Steve and see what I can accomplish playing around with the color Panel a little more with the size and width as you have suggested. Thanks for your support and suggestions too.

Frank....

Well, back again with the results of my last effort. I tried changing the width and size of the photo as suggested but no matter what size I change it to it still has the black borders. So that doesn't work either.

So far the only way I can eliminate the black borders is to right click on that particular slide in storyboard view and click on edit and use the "Edit Motion Pictures" option. Then change the slider size to where it makes the entire photo or slide smaller until the black border is outside the area with the resize, then move the slide around to cover the best part of the slide I want to see. Then when I look at it again in the storyboard view it does eliminate the black borders (either the top and bottom ones or the right and left ones depending on which place they were).

BUT---In doing that, it CROPS the slide down to only a very small portion of what the original slide was. And that's N.G. !!

Still trying however working on anything I can think of "Out of the Box" to make this problem go away.

There just has to be a reason why this happens. BTW, does any one know what the actual size of the "production Preview" window screen is ? If I knew that, I might be able to produce a photo that will cover that entire preview screen and in turn will also show the same when I build the DVD.

Frank.....

Well, back again with the results of my last effort. I tried changing the width and size of the photo as suggested but no matter what size I change it to it still has the black borders. So that doesn't work either.

So far the only way I can eliminate the black borders is to right click on that particular slide in storyboard view and click on edit and use the "Edit Motion Pictures" option. Then change the slider size to where it makes the entire photo or slide smaller until the black border is outside the area with the resize, then move the slide around to cover the best part of the slide I want to see. Then when I look at it again in the storyboard view it does eliminate the black borders (either the top and bottom ones or the right and left ones depending on which place they were).

BUT---In doing that, it CROPS the slide down to only a very small portion of what the original slide was. And that's N.G. !!

Still trying however working on anything I can think of "Out of the Box" to make this problem go away.

There just has to be a reason why this happens. BTW, does any one know what the actual size of the "production Preview" window screen is ? If I knew that, I might be able to produce a photo that will cover that entire preview screen and in turn will also show the same when I build the DVD.

Frank.....

I don't know if this will help as i did it in ECM 8 (VW 8). If i scan a photo onto my hd then import it into VW I

end up with the black edges your talking about, but if I import it directly ( see screen shot ) I end up with the same aspect ratio 4:3 and no black bars. As i said i don't know if you can do this in 7 as i don't have it.

13257.jpg

Hi Alan:

That looks pretty good. What do you mean by "If I import it directly..." When I scan an original photo, I can either print it, or save it to a specified folder, or scan it to several programs that I have on my computer (HP Share-to Web, M.S. Power Point, M.S. Word, Outlook Express, Paint, or Word pad). So with your scanner and having EMC 8 installed, I assume you have an option to scan it directly to VW. Is That correct ??

BTW, I go way back with Hot Rods Alan :)

Frank.....

Edited by redwagon713

Hi Alan:

That looks pretty good. What do you mean by "If I import it directly..." When I scan an original photo, I can either print it, or save it to a specified folder, or scan it to several programs that I have on my computer (HP Share-to Web, M.S. Power Point, M.S. Word, Outlook Express, Paint, or Word pad). So with your scanner and having EMC 8 installed, I assume you have an option to scan it directly to VW. Is That correct ??

BTW, I go way back with Hot Rods Alan :)

Frank.....

Hi Frank

Im not at my computer at the moment & for the life of me I can't remember exactly what I did so I'll post a blow by blow in the morning my time ( it's 8.15 pm now ).

PS my avatar is my car and the other one in the screen shot was taken on a trip to england in 85. :huh::D

Guest mlpasley

Alan may have hit on the solution.

It sounds like those photos are being imported with a black edge.

Alan is 'capturing' those photos with the Capture program within EMC8.

The EMC7 also has a Capture program that you can either launch from the main screen or within VideoWave ( under File\ Capture ).

Capture should work with you HP scanner.

Edited by mlpasley

Alan may have hit on the solution.

It sounds like those photos are being imported with a black edge.

Alan is 'capturing' those photos with the Capture program within EMC8.

The EMC7 also has a Capture program that you can either launch from the main screen or within VideoWave ( under File\ Capture ).

Capture should work with you HP scanner.

Although I am having a great time here, in Idaho, I wish I was home so that I could try the import from my 7400 to see if it works. lol

BTW, I dare not mention going home, to my wife. :)

Hey Bruce, Wives are funny that way, huh ? I did get EMC to recognize scans from my HP 7400c scanner (File--Capture) and used that scan in Videowave, but the exact same thing happens---There is still a black border on the sides of the slide. Funny however, but the first one I tried I had the photo in the scanner sideways and when I entered it in VW, the black border was on the left and right sides. Then when I rotated it so it was upright, the black border was on the top and bottom. This has really got me going crazy. There just has to be a reason why those black borders are there.

It just seems to me that the window in Videowave is so big and the scans are just not that exact size. So what's left of the area just becomes black. Either that or there must be a way to set the size of the scan in the scanner program, which I have not been able to find And I have checked every possible option there is too !. EMC gives some options once the photo has been captured. If you "resize" the scan in EMC you have some options like: 1 to 1, 3.5 to 5, 4 to 6, 5 to 7, 8 to 10, 8.9 to 12.7 etc. None of which will remove all of the black borders. Still Stumped :)

Frank.....

Hey Bruce, Wives are funny that way, huh ? I did get EMC to recognize scans from my HP 7400c scanner (File--Capture) and used that scan in Videowave, but the exact same thing happens---There is still a black border on the sides of the slide. Funny however, but the first one I tried I had the photo in the scanner sideways and when I entered it in VW, the black border was on the left and right sides. Then when I rotated it so it was upright, the black border was on the top and bottom. This has really got me going crazy. There just has to be a reason why those black borders are there.

It just seems to me that the window in Videowave is so big and the scans are just not that exact size. So what's left of the area just becomes black. Either that or there must be a way to set the size of the scan in the scanner program, which I have not been able to find And I have checked every possible option there is too !. EMC gives some options once the photo has been captured. If you "resize" the scan in EMC you have some options like: 1 to 1, 3.5 to 5, 4 to 6, 5 to 7, 8 to 10, 8.9 to 12.7 etc. None of which will remove all of the black borders. Still Stumped :D

Frank.....

Well now you really make me wish I was at home, so I could figure this out with you. :D I should never have stopped into these forums. LOLLOL! You have me stumped.

I am almost sure that it has to do with the size at which the photos are scanned. I don't remember how to scan them larger, and I do know that no matter how large you make them in any photo editing software, after you scan them, they will still come into VideoWave the same way.

I am going to have to put this thread on my ignore list, somehow, so I don't get into trouble. :):huh::D

Hey Bruce, you can't bail out on me that easy :) You are most likely the only other person on this forum that has an HP 7400c scanner. So hope you just put it on the back burner for a while :huh: Are you doing any fishing there in Idaho ?

Frank....

Hey Bruce, you can't bail out on me that easy :huh: You are most likely the only other person on this forum that has an HP 7400c scanner. So hope you just put it on the back burner for a while :D Are you doing any fishing there in Idaho ?

Frank....

No fishing. :D I would not mind doing some trout fishing, but we are picking the kids up after school, and going to Bear World in Yellowstone. lol I will be taking more pictures. :)

Hi Guys

Ok heres what i did scanned the photo on to my HD using ECM 8 import/capture then i resized the pic in photosuite to 603 x 451 pixels. I got the size by using the ( extract image from production ) in VW.

Hope this helps you out.

BTW Frank thats my hotrod in the screen shot, Bruce sounds like your having a great time with the family.

13261.jpg

PS. just noticed on the screen shot theres a very thin black bar at the top just tried changing it from bars to fill and the cropping was very minimal.