• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Performance & editing question

jsrx

Question

EMC8 (with 805 update) runs extremly slow when I try to create a DVD. I don't know to what extent my HW is part of the blame if any. See below my HW details.

Any idea why?

I have a tree of folders, where in the leafs (only) there are still images files (about 200) of type .JPG and would like to have to have the entire tree on a viewable DVD. Is there a way to tell EMC8 to turn the entire tree to a DVD where the folders in that tree are menus, so I don't need to do too much manual work?

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz

512 MB RAM

1 TB HDs

Annihilator 2 Graphic card (by Creative Labs)

3 answers to this question

EMC8 (with 805 update) runs extremly slow when I try to create a DVD. I don't know to what extent my HW is part of the blame if any. See below my HW details.

Any idea why?

I have a tree of folders, where in the leafs (only) there are still images files (about 200) of type .JPG and would like to have to have the entire tree on a viewable DVD. Is there a way to tell EMC8 to turn the entire tree to a DVD where the folders in that tree are menus, so I don't need to do too much manual work?

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz

512 MB RAM

1 TB HDs

Annihilator 2 Graphic card (by Creative Labs)

(1). While V8 does render a little slower than V6 or V7 the main factor is CPU speed. 1.6ghz is the minimum CPU speed recommended and yours is just a notch below that… If you doubled your CPU speed, 3.0, it would essentially cut your render time in half!

(2). Assuming you are making a Slideshow, you can only import the files from within a sub-directory, then move to the next sub-directory. I do not know of any software that can do otherwise.

(1). While V8 does render a little slower than V6 or V7 the main factor is CPU speed. 1.6ghz is the minimum CPU speed recommended and yours is just a notch below that… If you doubled your CPU speed, 3.0, it would essentially cut your render time in half!

(2). Assuming you are making a Slideshow, you can only import the files from within a sub-directory, then move to the next sub-directory. I do not know of any software that can do otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback.

If this is the case, the speed is that slow, that even double it would still be considered extremely slow.

Secondly, increasing the speed of a CPU, typically does not enhance the speed of a program by the same proportion. There are many other (external) limiting factors on the CPU such as main memory speed and size and disk speed, in short, the entire memory hierarchy, especially when we deal with large volumes of data as is our case.

On the other hand, by the stroke of a pen, a lousy programmer can slow down (or enhance) the performance by a factor of 2 or even 10. (I happened to design several commercial CPUs...)

I will remind the definition of MIPS from the 80s: "Meaningless Interpretation of Processor Speed"...

That is pity since I could arrange very fast all the picture files in leaf folders of a desired directory tree like structure and then let the DVD software do the main bulk of work by one push of a button. Even if the application is slow, I could then leave it to work overnight, w/o requiring to waste my time.

Problem is, everybody and his dog is a programmer.

Again, thanks anyway for facing me with reality.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback.

If this is the case, the speed is that slow, that even double it would still be considered extremely slow.

Secondly, increasing the speed of a CPU, typically does not enhance the speed of a program by the same proportion. There are many other (external) limiting factors on the CPU such as main memory speed and size and disk speed, in short, the entire memory hierarchy, especially when we deal with large volumes of data as is our case.

On the other hand, by the stroke of a pen, a lousy programmer can slow down (or enhance) the performance by a factor of 2 or even 10. (I happened to design several commercial CPUs...)

I will remind the definition of MIPS from the 80s: "Meaningless Interpretation of Processor Speed"...

That is pity since I could arrange very fast all the picture files in leaf folders of a desired directory tree like structure and then let the DVD software do the main bulk of work by one push of a button. Even if the application is slow, I could then leave it to work overnight, w/o requiring to waste my time.

Problem is, everybody and his dog is a programmer.

Again, thanks anyway for facing me with reality.

Jeff

This isn't an election so I am not going to haggle over a percentage point or 2, but I can assure you them my 3.0ghz PC will render in 1/2 the time or better than that of my 1.6ghz machine!

Likewise, my old 550mhz took more than twice the time of my 1.5ghz. A 1 hour movie took more than 8 hours to render so I never hung around to time it!

Maybe you could explain what you want to do in your 2nd question a little better… I took it that you wanted to import pictures from more than one sub-directory at one time. If that is the case Media Manager may be of some assist but I have never used it.

Archived